E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW drivers have low self esteem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by gregoryalee
I don't know... you have to really read into the article to come away thinking the BMW and Porche owners are emulators. Yeah because every M5 and GT3 owner I know is a h8ter and works the McDonalds register.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Members

i don't have a college degree...but i do make a good income ...haters!!!the author probably never owned a bmw! ooh yeah and i want the new 6 series too!!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

most of you guys are just reading the article wrong. an e60 is not a sport's car in any way, so the part of the article the OP posted has nothing to do with us.

besides, as mentioned before, they aren't even calling sport's car owners posers, they are calling people who buy imitation sport's cars posers.

i think that article is spot-on when it comes to stereotyping, i just don't think most of you guys are reading it correctly. the bmw/porsche part of the article is just referring to TYPES of sport's cars, not implying all bmw/porsches are sport's cars. i don't think anyone would call an X3 a sport's car unless they were a moron. similarly, cadillac makes sport's car, though they list them only under their "luxury sedan" part of that article.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

Want to know what i got out of it ? the guy is a JEALOUS DOUCHE BAG that hates GERMAN cars. Probably got smoked by one on many occasions. And is defenitly a LIBERIAL !
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: E60. MY 2006 Grey interior/ Silver. No mods. Previous car: 1997 E39 Hunter Green 528i.

We all know better than to think our cars are merely flashy hunks of metal. They are a LOT more than that. Especially when both cars named are constant innovators in technology and at the top of their class.

We're not reading it wrong, unless there is a previous article and this is a follow-up.
The problem is...the author is actually implying that BMW and Porshe by mention are simply flashy, non-sport/ luxury cars. She never clarifies her position, either. This proves she's never driven either car or has no connection to a true driving experience. (Probably both.)

The author wrote a lot of misquided, almost attacking remarks toward every segment she mentioned. Starting her article off with "snobby Bentley owners" and saying we only buy cars based on how they're marketed. Clearly she had some spite.
Remarks that reveals her ignorance of these two cars and most cars she mentioned. She even went on a breakdown (annoying tangent) about paint-color. It's almost as if she is sheltered in small town, USA and has only "seen" people driving these cars in movies or commercials and Is now passing judgment.

(No offense) That would equate to a janitor telling you how to perform heart surgery.

You all know she got paid to write that too, right? Lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Members

Maybe in a upside down world , caddys and toyotas in drag [lexus,acura,infinity] are the true acheivers ,and they are the benchmark of the automobile world. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT ! Oh and my bad , she's a DOUCHE BAG !
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: E60. MY 2006 Grey interior/ Silver. No mods. Previous car: 1997 E39 Hunter Green 528i.

Originally Posted by lim
it also sounds like the articles author is bitter.
Right. I got that from her first sentence. Lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Members

What a bunch of trash...

Here is the actual (2002) study:

http://pubs.its.ucdavis.edu/publicat...ail.php?id=309

It never specifically references any BMW. The Article author certainly has a personal agenda after perusing the study for a few moments.

Some highlights:

"Household income is positively related to expensive cars such as luxury cars and SUVs, while personal
income is negatively related to small cars. Clearly, the number of people under age 19 in a household is strongly positively associated with minivans, and the number of people age 65 or older in a household is positively related to larger cars such as large and luxury cars."

"2. Personality
Adventure seekers may be more likely to use a powerful car (sports and SUV categories) that allows them the flexibility needed for a variety of activities and outdoor adventures. Conversely, calm people may be less likely to use a powerful car (sports and SUV categories) because they are not aggressive, even while traveling. Loners are probably less likely to use a family car (minivan/van category).

3. Lifestyle
Frustrated people may be less likely to use a more powerful car (sports and SUV categories) because such cars may be a symbol of confidence and control. Family-oriented people are more likely to use a family car (minivan/van category). Status seekers are more likely to drive an expensive car (luxury and sports categories) because such cars are common status symbols in modern society."
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rkoenig
It never specifically references any BMW.
yes exactly. the bmw is just a reference to a type of sport's car in her article. everyone here was reading it like "oh it says bmw here, she must be referring to me," without recognition that none of you drive sport's cars which is ACTUALLY what her description was referring to, not BMW the auto manufacturer. that was just an example of a manufacturer that makes a sport's car.

Quick Reply: BMW drivers have low self esteem?