E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW drive me mad!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

All of you with right-hand drive E60's will notice the large quadrant of screen that the left-hand drive wiper set up misses whilst driving in rain. Ok I know there is a cam which pushes the drivers side wiper up into the corner a little but as you know its useless. Anyway I decided to accept it as I thought this was the case with all rhd BMW's.

So - Just bought an X5 for my wife and the wipers are set for right-hand drive. Borrowed a new 320i, whilst BMW fix X5, and yes you've guessed it the wipers are set for right-hand drive. Ok I know this has been mentioned before but its annoying that BMW models designed before and after the E60 have the different set up. Why can't the E60 have the same?

Also the X5 and 320i come standard with an anti-dazzle rear view mirror. To me this is safety equipment that needs to be fitted as standard, but no, stuff the 5 series, charge em or fcuk em seems to be the order of the day.

Finally in the 320i you can turn the front passenger airbag off if you need to seat a child in the front.

Why the fcuk do BMW think that rhd E60 owners don't want a fully clear windscreen on the drivers side, want to be dazzled in the rear view mirror and don't have any kids :thumbsdown:
Old 03-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

as to the wiper.... I had the same with my car.... I got new set of wiper blades for 50EUR.... and now it is prefect!!!! Smooth, quiet and super clean all the way.... go for it too....
the wiper blades are revised, they have an extra support at this part where it did not wipe properly.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

I agree Merv. An E60 with what I would regard as a "proper" spec for this type of motor is an expensive beast.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='261805' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:03 AM
as to the wiper.... I had the same with my car.... I got new set of wiper blades for 50EUR.... and now it is prefect!!!! Smooth, quiet and super clean all the way.... go for it too....
the wiper blades are revised, they have an extra support at this part where it did not wipe properly.
No, Merv's comment is related to the fact that the wipers are oriented for LHD, ie, they sweep in an anti-clockwise arc when viewed from the drivers seat. This causes the top right section of the screen not to be included in the sweep :thumbsdown: I had the same on my e39 also. It's annoying that us RHD drivers are considered second rate citizens internationally, but I guess it's just another frustration of living in the UK

Same is often the case with the positioning of the handbrake (parking brake to those stateside!) being positioned to the left of the centre line of the car - thankfully not the case with the e60.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='261797' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:38 AM
Finally in the 320i you can turn the front passenger airbag off if you need to seat a child in the front.
Isn't there an option 470 that allows you to have this feature. Are you complaining that's its not standard.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='261811' date='Mar 29 2006, 04:18 AM
No, Merv's comment is related to the fact that the wipers are oriented for LHD, ie, they sweep in an anti-clockwise arc when viewed from the drivers seat. This causes the top right section of the screen not to be included in the sweep :thumbsdown: I had the same on my e39 also. It's annoying that us RHD drivers are considered second rate citizens internationally, but I guess it's just another frustration of living in the UK

Same is often the case with the positioning of the handbrake (parking brake to those stateside!) being positioned to the left of the centre line of the car - thankfully not the case with the e60.
ahhh I see.... sorry guys...... well maybe one day you will integrate to Europe and switch to right
Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='261819' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:46 AM
ahhh I see.... sorry guys...... well maybe one day you will integrate to Europe and switch to right
Breaking news apparently it has been discussed in The EEC that the UK will change to driving on the left this will be phased in with LGV's begining the process and all other vehicles following a month later
Old 03-29-2006, 01:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by norham' post='261827' date='Mar 29 2006, 11:07 AM
Breaking news apparently it has been discussed in The EEC that the UK will change to driving on the left this will be phased in with LGV's begining the process and all other vehicles following a month later

I think you meant phase in driving on the RIGHT though!
There's a wisper that it's already started with the LGVs
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Contributors

If they're going to phase in driving on the right starting with HGV first aren't we going to have a few head on collisions!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='261813' date='Mar 29 2006, 04:32 AM
Isn't there an option 470 that allows you to have this feature. Are you complaining that's its not standard.
It may have been an option on the 320i too. it certainly wasn't available when I bought mine.

They could still change the wiper sweep direction though as we know they can and have on other models!

Quick Reply: BMW drive me mad!!!!