E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Dealer OK's reusing deflated RFT???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week drove 2-3 miles on one month old Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF 17" after pressure warning light went off. Found pressure down to 5-6lbs & drove on it no further. BMW dealer (where I purchased the tires, TPMS and valves) found leaking valve. They dismounted tire and and found no defect in tread or sidewall visible to inspection. They indicated I could continue to use tire with no problem.
My understanding was that the reason BMW would not repair a damaged RFT even if the defect was in the tread was because one could not tell from visual inspection if the sidewall had been weakened once the tire had been driven for any distance with little or no air.
I do have the BMW tire/wheel insurance that I purchased when I bought the car (2010 550 sport) in June.
I've researched the issue and haven't found a case where the flat wasn't due to road damage and I can't find any consistent guidline as how low the presure and how long the distance driven can be before one should become concerned about continuing to use the tire.
Any further thoughts?
I would also be interested to know if anyone has had tire insurance replace an RFT that has been deflated but with no visible damage.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

2-3 miles I think you're fine. They're designed to take a TON more abuse than that... "they" recommend replacing and not repairing a run flat like you said because the tire shops dont know what the tire has been through but you know you didnt do anything to it. Have you seen the videos where top gear or fifth gear put a set of RFT through several laps on the track with 0 psi? n

Would be a waste to the environment to toss out a 1 month old tire. The tire is fine...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by WOODYBROWN' post='1083563' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:43 PM
Last week drove 2-3 miles on one month old Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF 17" after pressure warning light went off. Found pressure down to 5-6lbs & drove on it no further. BMW dealer (where I purchased the tires, TPMS and valves) found leaking valve. They dismounted tire and and found no defect in tread or sidewall visible to inspection. They indicated I could continue to use tire with no problem.
My understanding was that the reason BMW would not repair a damaged RFT even if the defect was in the tread was because one could not tell from visual inspection if the sidewall had been weakened once the tire had been driven for any distance with little or no air.
I do have the BMW tire/wheel insurance that I purchased when I bought the car (2010 550 sport) in June.
I've researched the issue and haven't found a case where the flat wasn't due to road damage and I can't find any consistent guidline as how low the presure and how long the distance driven can be before one should become concerned about continuing to use the tire.
Any further thoughts?
I would also be interested to know if anyone has had tire insurance replace an RFT that has been deflated but with no visible damage.
Read your w&t insurance policy to verify all conditions that require replacement. I suspect that driving 2-3 miles at low speed and while (some) pressure kept the tire inflated the tire may be OK. However, it's impossible to determine tire structure damage by eye. The dealer was probably trying to see visible tread or sidewall damage but that is only "external" and readily visible. Unless they x-ray the carcass I don't see how they'd know about internal structural damage.

So, I'd press it a little and try to get them to replace the tire. If not, and should the tire fail later, get the dealer to put in writing that any reimbursement for that tire would NOT be prorated. One approach I'd take with the dealer would be to ask, "If this was your Mother's car, what would you want done?"
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The RFT's inner sidewall disintegrates, so they can indeed see if there's severe damage.

If they don't find any rubber inside the tire and the sidewall looks OK there is no damage and you can continue driving on it once the valve is fixed.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

If it helps with your peace of mind, someone here "traveled about 150 km @ avg speed of 100 kmph, over 2 days" with zero pressure in one tire with a hole. The tire was supporting the vehicle, at speed, with just its sidewalls.

See topic:
Big gash in run-flat tyre and still driving at high speeds for 2 days
Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='1083665' date='Jan 3 2010, 05:22 PM
From visual inspection... your tire looks patchable... I say you can continue to use it with no future repercussions...