E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW dealer can't register a new Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Installed a new battery in my 5er. Its a bosch battery, spec for a bmw according to the car shop. Dealer cannot register the battery and says I need a exide type battery.

Is this true? If not, any ideas where I can get it registered. Dealer says only the exide battery can be used on the car. Says all other batteries are deep cycle and not high discharge like an exide. Says damage can occur to the alternator and/or battery will not be charged properly.

Help.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
Installed a new battery in my 5er. Its a bosch battery, spec for a bmw according to the car shop. Dealer cannot register the battery and says I need a exide type battery.

Is this true? If not, any ideas where I can get it registered. Dealer says only the exide battery can be used on the car. Says all other batteries are deep cycle and not high discharge like an exide. Says damage can occur to the alternator and/or battery will not be charged properly.

Help.
Get rid of it, get your money back and go buy a BMW Battery.!!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Is the bosch exactly the same spec as the previous battery? Same Amperage, same CCA? If it's different, I heard that they would have to at least do some extra programming to the vehicle order that the new battery has a different spec. But still, I don't know if BMW would register a non-oem battery in this case.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I would return your battery and have the dealer install theirs. Looks like every few weeks or so, we get the same complaint with these battery registration issues.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Can you check w/ an indy shop to register it?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Members

return it and get bmw oem battery, our cars are so picky about battery, not worth it to get different brand
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

From the BMW Center's perspective, if they register a battery that is not OEM-spec, they could incur liability and/or additional labor if:
- diagnostic codes are triggered
- modules malfunction or become damaged
- battery becomes damaged
- vehicle becomes inoperative, requiring a tow

An independent BMW shop will be more likely to register a new battery, should you elect to go that route.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Members

Hello

as far as your replacement battery have the exact same specifications (voltage, current, type of battery (ACM or Acid, depending of your car) and dimensions), you can without a problem put it in the car and register it using DIS.

I did it by myself one year ago.

Regarding battery regitration, check point #5 here. This informations is coming directly from BMW TIS, so fully reliable.

Matt
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Razzy530
Get rid of it, get your money back and go buy a BMW Battery.!!
No. I chucked my "BMW" battery months ago and am using a generic, off the shelf, replacement from an auto parts store.

Originally Posted by sevenup_guy
I would return your battery and have the dealer install theirs.
No.

Originally Posted by j0nblayz
return it and get bmw oem battery, our cars are so picky about battery, not worth it to get different brand
No. They are not. Automotive batteries, especially a flooded lead acid [BMW] battery, are the same. The only difference is the CCA/CA. If there is a defect that prevents if from working correctly it wouldn't matter what the 'brand' is as it would still fail.

Originally Posted by msevestre
as far as your replacement battery have the exact same specifications (voltage, current, type of battery (ACM or Acid, depending of your car) and dimensions), you can without a problem put it in the car and register it using DIS.

I did it by myself one year ago.

Regarding battery regitration, check point #5 here. This informations is coming directly from BMW TIS, so fully reliable.
This. Well said Matt.

The other option is to not worry about 'registering' the battery as IBS will figure out the SOC after 6 hours and therefore resets what would have been programmed.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan

Help.
Personal opinion - I think your dealer is completely full of shit.

These cars are NOT that picky about the battery - they just aren't!! They are picky about voltage and amperage. If the battery you put in is within range of stock then the car will be fine using it. I have no idea where some of these guys come up with their ideas on batteries, but I'm not willing to fight that battle.

Coding the battery is nothing more than telling the car's main computer that it has a NEW battery and to charge it accordingly. As the battery ages is charges and discharges differently than when it is new. The car adapts to those needs over time. Telling the car you just put in a new battery just resets those values to "new".

I "coded" my new battery a few months back using my AutoEnginuity scan tool. There have been no issues at all since the battery was replaced and "coded".

I suggest you find someone with an AE tool or ping me offlist and make the drive to Milwaukee. We'll work something out.