E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW ConnectedDrive - new feature...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
rjc
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

...or so the website says. I logged into the UK BMW ConnecedDrive website and found this on the news page...

We now have the facility to access specific vehicle functions remotely. After you have activated Remote Services in the BMW ConnectedDrive internet website, you can for example, call our BMW call centre and request your vehicle is unlocked.
...so I tried to find the option. Alas, after a phone call to them, this is only for the new iDrive in new cars from September 08. So, if you have the option available to you, it would be under the vehicle settings for you to enable. They are looking to amend the website to update the news, with the news it isn't for current cars - just the new iDrive ones.

They have had a few calls, so if you have it this on your current car (and free for 3 years in the UK with a new BMW with BMW Online installed), you won't be able to find the option. Would have been handy though, they can lock it remotly too - so no more, "I think I locked it", then a walk back to the car.

I guess the new telematics stuff is "smarter" in the new iDrive. So, UK people at least, be warned over the news item - it may not be for you.