E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW A/C Won't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum. I have a 2004 BMW 545i sport. Car is great I love it. I have a weird problem with the climate control that I'd like to figure out before I go to the dealer and get hosed. My blower fan won't work at high speed. I can adjust the speed all the way to the midway point and once it gets there I can turn it past it OK but the blower won't speed up. I also can't get the A/C to work. The weird thing is on a hot day I get warm air (like heat) coming from the vents. Even with temp turned all the way down and the the thermostat in the idrive system on all blue. Still getting warm air coming out. If I turn the temp all the way up to the max the air doen'st seem to get any waramer either. However at night it operates OK. The heat that is is. I can get cool air (NOT AC) to come out of the vents and hot as I adjust the temp setting. Blower motor seems to work the same regardless of the outside weather (ONLY HALF POWER). A/C never comes on. I'm not sure where to start. I think it might be more of an electronic problem rather then mechanical. I found that there is a inside temp sensor inside the climate control panel (behind the screen I believe) Part NO. 64116910342 on WWW.REALOEM.COM Could this be the culprut. Any information would be greatly appreciated, I love this car but would really like to get the A/C working on a reasonable budget. I get the feeling a dealer will charge many diagnostic hours on this kinda of problem even though they will likely know right away what is causing it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Members

Push the middle button on the dash and make sure you set it to 3 blue bars. Does your fan speed up when you hit the auto button? Hope it helps.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
New Members

Ok got it all fixed up. Went to a independent shop that claimed to be familiar with bmw's. Reason for no A/C was the condenser was punctured. Likely a rock or something. After that was in $520 bucks a/c worked. The blower still worked only at medium. So we checked the battery (after reading bunch of posts that it might be a cause) which was showing to be weak. A new battery fixed it right up. Now everything works perfect. Even seems to have improve the idle issue which I assumed was common on these cars. Once again love my 545i.