E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Battery Question (going on vacation)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2007 530i and going out for exactly a month. i plan to leave the car parked in my garage.

its still under warranty and there are no known issues.

anybody left their car parked for a month or more? should i expect to start my car when im back or expect to see a dead battery?

please advice!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

I always disconnect the battery when I leave the car for a week or more , I have this habit since I had my E30 back in 1997 .

not sure if it's technically required , but I feel more comfortable doing that ..

BTW , the car goes to sleep by itself after few minutes of locking the car ,,, I remember once I left the car for 3 weeks ( E92 335I ) , and when I came back ,, the car started like if it was parked just last night ..

that's my opinion ,,, for sure Others will have different ones
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

I went on vacation for 3 weeks just this past May...when I came back, the car was dead. Sucks, because I got home late from a long flight from Europe and deal with a dead battery. I had to call BMW Roadside Service that very night since I had to go to work the next day. Sorry to say, but
doesn't sound promising that your car will start up when you get back.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

I left my car in my garage for 5 weeks during this January (winter) when I came back during first week of February, the car started without any issue on my first attempt. However this is what I did, I used battery tender and charged it fully before I left. I did not leave the tender on through out 5 weeks, since I was worried about over charging. Based on my experience you should be fine..
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

a month should be fine...just make sure to lock the car since locking it will shut down all electronic gizmo inside the car. I've parked my car outside for extended period of times several times and have no problem. As long as when you start it again, take it out for extended drive to make sure it's fully charge again.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Members

in older cars you could disconnect battery. i current model - NEVER do that. take a chance (and jump it after if it dies ) or best is to attach charger switched to trickle charge
Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by porando
in older cars you could disconnect battery. i current model - NEVER do that. take a chance (and jump it after if it dies ) or best is to attach charger switched to trickle charge
The problem is, if you let the battery go completely flat/to very low levels of charge, the battery suffers from irreversible damage. Within a couple of months of this happening, the battery will fail to hold charge and give up without warning. Trust me when I mean irreversible damage, I'm speaking from experience here...
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My car is regularly left for a month without being driven. If the battery is good it will be fine.
If it is nearing end of life then you might get a problem, but at least it is advanced warning of the need for a new battery.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery is in good condition and fully charged you'll be fine. If not then the car won't start. 4 weeks is a long time for an E60/E61.

You best bet would be to connect an intelligent trickle charger to the charge points under the bonnet and leave that on.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Members

appreciate all the help from everybody.

just called the guy i know at the bmw service center and he asked if there is any maintenance scheduled..the road to my house is under construction and i broke my external temp sensor (located under the front bumper) recently so i told him that..

so now he has asked me to just drop my car at the service center..they will repair and keep it during my vacations..ill just call him a week before my arrival just to make sure that it will be ready once im back

Quick Reply: BMW Battery Question (going on vacation)