E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is BMW Assist and BMW Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

If you let BMW Assist run out, is BMW Roadside Assistance still active accessing it through your cell phone?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yes, I think so. Assist just gives you a faster interface to Roadside Assistance.

I just got my renewal notice for Assist the other day. They try to sell you on the fact that you can access Roadside simply by pushing the button.

I think Assist is generally worthless except for the automatic emergency airbag deployment thing. I think they ought to provide that service for free but if they did, nobody would renew the service...
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Yes. Roadside assistance is valid for the warranty period. BMW assist is a "premium" service that you get free for a year--similar to Mercedes TeleAid or Onstar. I personally think it's a waste of money. With Mercedes, the one cool feature is they can unlock your car remotely, and you can also unlock it with your account from the internet!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 11 2005, 11:15 AM
Yes.? Roadside assistance is valid for the warranty period.? BMW assist is a "premium" service that you get free for a year--similar to Mercedes TeleAid or Onstar.? I personally think it's a waste of money.? With Mercedes, the one cool feature is they can unlock your car remotely, and you can also unlock it with your account from the internet!
[snapback]89047[/snapback]
I can confirm all too well that BMW Assist can't unlock the doors remotely.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=7060&st=0

Also, it doesn't work when you lock your keys in the car.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

They are different. Assist is included for 1 year. Roadside is included for 4 years/50k miles. You just have to use another method than your car to reach Roadside.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm still trying to decide if it's worth subscribing just for the emergency service. Obviously, it could be a life saver. I could care less about the Concierge service, etc.

It's really a shame that BMW makes you pay for the emergency service -- you'd think that would be standard and included on all "Assist capable" cars.

Do you think if I don't renew, I'll have to have another "accept" screen telling the car that I understand that they won't call 911 in an emergency?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Very true Rudy! I agree with you, I'd love to have the emergency service but forget the concierge service. Now if BMW had put a little more thought/research into Assist by looking at OnStar, they might have an easier job retaining customer. A couple of relatively simple functions such as remote door unlocking and the ability to track a stolen car would be more than enough to have me renew the service. Without those options, I'll take my chances without Assist.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Feb 11 2005, 10:54 AM
Very true Rudy!? I agree with you, I'd love to have the emergency service but forget the concierge service.? Now if BMW had put a little more thought/research into Assist by looking at OnStar, they might have an easier job retaining customer.? A couple of relatively simple functions such as remote door unlocking and the ability to track a stolen car would be more than enough to have me renew the service.? Without those options, I'll take my chances without Assist.
[snapback]89098[/snapback]
I couldnt agree with you more! They should have setup an agreement with Onstar, to provide to their customers. They would get my yearly business with that. And the assist should be free for the warranty period! for that, im am also going to take my chances without Assist.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

I think they will still help you in an emergency. For legal reasons. MY friend had expired Teleaid and they called the police when he crashed. Maybe they will be like ?sir, if you renew your subcription today we will call for help"
Old 02-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Feb 11 2005, 01:13 PM
"sir, if you renew your subcription today we will call for help"
[snapback]89111[/snapback]
Might be kind of hard to give them your credit card number when you're unconscious!

Quick Reply: Is BMW Assist and BMW Roadside Assistance