E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 550i oil level too high - solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:25 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 530i
Default BMW 550i oil level too high - solved

Hi all, I'm new here but I just wanted to post some info I found this weekend.. Hopefully it'll save time & $$ for someone..

Came home on Friday and noticed on my Idrive that the oil was down 1 bar (out of the 5 bars). Decided I would top off. The 08 550I comes with a dipstick so I checked it before pouring new oil, I noticed that it was slightly below the 'max' mark. I added about 1/4 quart to correct the issue. Went driving and the idrive showed the level at Green. When I checked it the next day it showed oil level too high (amber colored bars instead of green).

I bought a siphon pump from Harbor Freight (about $6) and siphoned some about a 1/4 quart of oil out. Went driving for 2 miles and it showed Amber still. I came back and took out about an 1/8 more (drove another 2 miles) and the idrive still showed the same Amber color. Weird! There's something wrong here so I went researching and noticed a lot of posts from ppl with the same problem. First I thought the level sensor had gone bad and was getting ready to replace. Then I saw many posts where ppl replaced the oil level sensor but it didnt' fix the problem. I also connected the car to DIS and all was good - no errors. I tried to find a reset/recalibration method for the oil level but there was none.

Then found this great video that shows how sensitive the BMW level sensor really is:

From the video I concluded that it's not as accurate as you would think. So now what to do? I had removed enough oil so the oil mark cold or warm stays between the min/max. The idrive should light up green but didn't every 2 mile drive I would take. Finally I read the owners manual and noticed it said: for an accurate reading the car must be driven 6 miles. All this time I had corrected the level but didn't drive more than 2 miles. I assumed when the first reading came up (at 2 miles of driving) it was ok. So I got on the highway (oil level on idrive showing amber)... Drove about 5.5 miles and the idrive showed GREEN... perfect.

Lesson learned: Before you buy a new ($200) level sensor like I almost did, check the oil. If your idrive says it's overfilled - check the dipstick (if you're lucky to have one of these - I know most models don't). Or get the oil changed/filled to the right level. Once the level is correct, drive the car for at least 6 miles on highway to re-calibrate the oil level sensor. Also, be careful when topping off, the sensor has a weird sensitivity (see video).
Old 06-13-2016, 10:41 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by beamer23
Hi all, I'm new here but I just wanted to post some info I found this weekend.. Hopefully it'll save time & $$ for someone..

Came home on Friday and noticed on my Idrive that the oil was down 1 bar (out of the 5 bars). Decided I would top off. The 08 550I comes with a dipstick so I checked it before pouring new oil, I noticed that it was slightly below the 'max' mark. I added about 1/4 quart to correct the issue. Went driving and the idrive showed the level at Green. When I checked it the next day it showed oil level too high (amber colored bars instead of green).

I bought a siphon pump from Harbor Freight (about $6) and siphoned some about a 1/4 quart of oil out. Went driving for 2 miles and it showed Amber still. I came back and took out about an 1/8 more (drove another 2 miles) and the idrive still showed the same Amber color. Weird! There's something wrong here so I went researching and noticed a lot of posts from ppl with the same problem. First I thought the level sensor had gone bad and was getting ready to replace. Then I saw many posts where ppl replaced the oil level sensor but it didnt' fix the problem. I also connected the car to DIS and all was good - no errors. I tried to find a reset/recalibration method for the oil level but there was none.

Then found this great video that shows how sensitive the BMW level sensor really is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0F-aGSQMI

From the video I concluded that it's not as accurate as you would think. So now what to do? I had removed enough oil so the oil mark cold or warm stays between the min/max. The idrive should light up green but didn't every 2 mile drive I would take. Finally I read the owners manual and noticed it said: for an accurate reading the car must be driven 6 miles. All this time I had corrected the level but didn't drive more than 2 miles. I assumed when the first reading came up (at 2 miles of driving) it was ok. So I got on the highway (oil level on idrive showing amber)... Drove about 5.5 miles and the idrive showed GREEN... perfect.

Lesson learned: Before you buy a new ($200) level sensor like I almost did, check the oil. If your idrive says it's overfilled - check the dipstick (if you're lucky to have one of these - I know most models don't). Or get the oil changed/filled to the right level. Once the level is correct, drive the car for at least 6 miles on highway to re-calibrate the oil level sensor. Also, be careful when topping off, the sensor has a weird sensitivity (see video).
Actually, that test indicates the resolution of the graphic (picture) of the oil level. It appears that the resolution is about 1 pint. If one measured the voltage output from the sensor which is used as the input for the graphics program, one would see that its "sensitivity" is much better.
IOW, the graphic level is accurate to +/- 1 pint, which is good enough. Being a pint too high or low isn't serious.
Still, I much prefer to have the dipstick, which I have - not much can go wrong there.
Salut, Bob P.