E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 535D Written off engine turbo and exhust

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

I have an 05 535d 28k Miles full service carbon black dakota beige interior high gloss pop fully kitted out media pack vis pack tv, dvd rear tvs 272 mixed rims the lot. i paid ?28k for it two months ago.

We had a downpour like ive never seen before last sun causing waves to wash over my car from the opposite carrigeway, the engine has apparently sucked water into the engine causing total damage to the engine turbos and exhust system all need replacing

My BMW Warranty wont cover this due to the nature of the damage so ive had to go through my insurance, Williams BMW have came back with a figure of ?16k to put it all right. and now i await my insurance companys' response......

Ive looked at book price which is ?23.5k but this takes no spec into account what-so-ever, ive seen similar cars on autotrader going from 26k upto 29kfrom main dealers, will they take any of this into account when deciding to either repair or write-off.

comments pleae !!!!!!!!!!

Please Help im gutted !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Most extras don't really add value to the book price of a car of course a 535d should have a certain spec though i.e pro nav, vis pack etc. If you bought it from a BMW dealer only a couple of months ago I would think youve got a good case to argue for the insurance company to pay out near what you paid though. I wouldnt be supprised if they repaired it. Thought about gap insuarnce? its one of the first things i buy when spending this much on a car, I paid ?148 for three years 10k cover on return to invoice.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='583299' date='May 18 2008, 05:35 PM
Most extras don't really add value to the book price of a car of course a 535d should have a certain spec though i.e pro nav, vis pack etc. If you bought it from a BMW dealer only a couple of months ago I would think youve got a good case to argue for the insurance company to pay out near what you paid though. I wouldnt be supprised if they repaired it. Thought about gap insuarnce? its one of the first things i buy when spending this much on a car, I paid ?148 for three years 10k cover on return to invoice.

I hope they do repair it but if book is 23.5k and its going to cost 16k to put right do you think it will be economically viable to do so ??
Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Who are you insured with as well because alot of UK insurers want optional extras added to the policy as modifications if you read the small print. Admiral/Elephant being two that do, the only one i found and spoke to that didnt charge extra for factory added options was www.lv.com. Might be worth checking your policy before mentioning all the extras if they are going to pay out.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributors

They work out the total loss cost when they compare the cost of repair plus the salvage worth if it isnt repaired against book value(ish). Along those lines anyway.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='583304' date='May 18 2008, 05:40 PM
Who are you insured with as well because alot of UK insurers want optional extras added to the policy as modifications if you read the small print. Admiral/Elephant being two that do, the only one i found and spoke to that didnt charge extra for factory added options was www.lv.com. Might be worth checking your policy before mentioning all the extras if they are going to pay out.
I'M with Privilege These arnt mods thou surely, i mean a bog standard 535d sport would start off new at 39k but this figure could easily rise to 55k if totally spec up. i realise they wont take this retail value as anything but surely they have to take at least part into account.

Based on the 23.5k book and the 16k repair bill do you think its a repair or write off ?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

With alot of insurance companies factory fitted options that take the car away from the base spec its sold with are classed as mods. Really annoyed me with Admiral as my Xenon lights became "rally spot lights" which was the closest thing they could band them in and my leather seats were " interior mods". As i said not sure on all companies but I went with LV who said on the phone they only look at modifications added after the car was built.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='583319' date='May 18 2008, 06:02 PM
With alot of insurance companies factory fitted options that take the car away from the base spec its sold with are classed as mods. Really annoyed me with Admiral as my Xenon lights became "rally spot lights" which was the closest thing they could band them in and my leather seats were " interior mods". As i said not sure on all companies but I went with LV who said on the phone they only look at modifications added after the car was built.
Thats what ive always thought of mods to be things ive added after purchase ie bigger wheels remaps etcetc

Crazy that innit rally lights ??? i wonder what salvage value would be on something like this? it is only the engine, turbo and exhust that are damaged the rest of the car both in and out is mint.....
Old 05-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Contributors

I would expect it would be pretty high. Like I say I would be supprised if they didn't repair it.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='583323' date='May 18 2008, 06:10 PM
I would expect it would be pretty high. Like I say I would be supprised if they repair it.
You dont think they will repair, or you do as you stated earlier you wouldnt be supprised if they did fix it ?

Quick Reply: BMW 535D Written off engine turbo and exhust