E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bluetooth OBD Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth OBD Scanner

First of all I'd like to say that this is my first post (may be obvious), but i've also used this forum , among others, as a resource for answers to a countless amount of questions.

I've recently come across something that I'd heard of a few years ago, but considered it useless because of the amount of money I'd put into other things, but recently found out that it's pretty economical. I'm talking about an OBD2 scanner that uses bluetooth (some wifi, although thats not so useful) to communicate with a smartphone running an app called Torque. My question is this: has anyone used it (or something like it)? Does it communicate well with our cars? I know that OBD2 is a standardized tool, but you never know.

In my opinion, its more of a "look what I can do" kind of thing, but I'm still interested.
I've downloaded the app for my android phone. Seems extremely user friendly and virtually plug and play.
At the same time I think it could answer some questions about certain engine mods that usually take a precey dyno to answer, but most people rely on the "feel," and that's usually where i get frustrated when it comes to looking for what to buy.

I told a friend about it, he bought a scanner on the spot. He drives Mazda Speed 3, and says I'll be the first person to see it work when it comes in this coming week.

So, again, does anyone have one/ has used one? Which scanner did you buy? Is it worth it?

Link to the app's website, which has information on what types of scanners it is compatible with: Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i 2008 BMW 535xi Touring 2005 Lexus GX470 2000 Audi A4 1.8T

Anyone out there know of a product like this that's compatible with an iPhone?

I have a 2008 E61 535xi which has no engine temp display in the dash. I'd like to be able to access engine info conveniently while driving, however I don't want to have to run wires.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by huntington
Anyone out there know of a product like this that's compatible with an iPhone?

I have a 2008 E61 535xi which has no engine temp display in the dash. I'd like to be able to access engine info conveniently while driving, however I don't want to have to run wires.
I'm pretty sure they have the app on the itunes store too. Just search for tourque. Refer to the link to find compatible devices to buy to link your iPhone to the scanner
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After seeing this post last week, I ordered the following OBDII Bluetooth adapter from ebay:

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Can Bus Interface Auto Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool | eBay

I received it yesterday and downloaded the full version of Torque.

The adapter does work and send info to my Xoom tablet. Bluetooth pairing was no problem.

As far as functionality, some functions receive data and some don't.
Working:
RPM
MAF rate
Throttle position
Coolant temp
Engine Load
Timing Advance

Not Working:
any voltage readings
Speed(OBD)
any temperature readings(intake, ambient)
any fuel readings
Air Fuel readings (says using closed loop)? doesn't give info

That's really all i've had time to test. There are a lot of other sensors that I will be trying. I just noticed Oil Temp. Not sure that was listed on the free version.

One neat feature is the trip logging and then viewing that on Google maps/Google Earth. The one I did just showed my speed along the route, but it was pretty cool. I'll look to see if more sensors can be included in that logging.

I'd say this is all worth the $20-25 i have invested, if for nothing more than entertainment value. It's a little difficult to read any of the info while driving, but it does work as advertised.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Honestly, this stuff is a waste. Unless you're buying actual BMW tools then it's a waste. If you own a BMW you need BMW tools to read proprietary codes to be able to diagnose properly and fix.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Members

I wouldn't say it's a waste. I've found it to provide some pretty cool info. Below is a shot of a recent trip to the office. I'm still playing with what parameters it's collecting and sending, but there are a LOT of items to choose from and you don't want to overload the graph. I think it's pretty for cool for under $25.

The first attachment is a screenshot from the Torque site that it autouploads to. Notice the O mark. There is a feature you can activate that tells you when you're up to normal operating temperature. That is the O on the graph. The blue line is Coolant temp. A voice actually comes over your Audio system and tells you that you're up to operating temperature

You can also e-mail yourself a .csv file so you can manipulate the data however you like. Or you can send a file that can be viewed on Google Earth/Google Maps like the second attachment. Also, on the google maps version, you can hover over any of the data points and it will give all of the info collected at that time.

I'm now thinking of buying the ProClip for my Xoom to put it in the middle of the dash and provide realtime instrumentation for coolant temp and other items that we don't normally have access to.
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth OBD Scanner-quicktrip.jpg   Bluetooth OBD Scanner-googlemap.jpg  

Last edited by Crckrjck; 11-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM
New Members

Achtung, I don't intend to use this to diagnose and fix/clear codes. Maybe to get an insight on some faults that pop up, but I'm not an idiot, I know what I was getting into when I bought my lady.

And crckrjck, thanks for the info. Definitely going to get it.
I've already got a mount for my HTC thunderbolt. Probably going to use it for the same thing, coolant temp etc. That sucks that temps and ratios don't show up, that's what i was looking forward to the most.

When mine gets in I'll see if i get the same readouts/ don't get the same readouts.

P.S. A Wilmington driver? I'm a Fayetteville native.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

Hey Killa, yeah, I enjoyed testing it out for a few days, but have gotten a little bored with it. More of a novelty to play around with. But, it does put out a lot of info, just don't know how much use it is really. I'm moving on to this Sport Button thing now.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-meant-127596/

That'll be my new obsession until I get it working. Originally from Charlotte myself, love Wilmington, don't think i'll be leaving the beach now that i'm here!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

I used this setup (Torque + ELM327 BT ODBII scanner) on my last car (non-BMW), and it worked well.

Depending on your vehicle, you have to download/add on certain "keys" to enable some functions I have no idea which would functions require this or what the keys are for BMW's, but looks like the list (what works, what doesnt) posted above gives you a pretty good idea. My last vehicle was a manual, and the 0-60 or 1/4 mile functions never worked right, since when I would lift the gas to shift the timers would stop.

Eventually the BT OBDII scanner (ELM327 linked above) began causing a strange electrical error in the car (probably due to physically getting bumped while in the OBDII port too many times, not from an inherent issue), so I removed it.

It's a very cool app, and I was stoked when I learned about it, but proved to be more of a novelty unless you're doing tuning or trouble-shooting.