E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bluetooth Broke After Battery Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Friends,

I have a 2004 BMW E60 (06/04 build date, with the Navi package) which had perfectly working bluetooth. A few months ago I had my battery changed at the local BMW dealer (of course with BMW approved mechanics installing an original OEM battery). After I got the new battery installed, my bluetooth stopped working... sort of.

My phone still pairs to iDrive (most of the time), and I can hear people (most of the time), but people cannot hear me. The people I call only hear a very loud buzzing noise, no matter how loud I yell. I have paired four different brands of phones all with the same result, ruling out a phone issue.

Can anyone please share their ideas on how my bluetooth could have possibly broke when BMW changed the battery? My car is out of warranty, and I feel BMW should cover this repair since the problem started right after they replaced my battery.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated! Thank you.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavaiLave
Hello Friends,
I have a 2004 BMW E60 (06/04 build date, with the Navi package) which had perfectly working bluetooth. A few months ago I had my battery changed at the local BMW dealer (of course with BMW approved mechanics installing an original OEM battery). After I got the new battery installed, my bluetooth stopped working... sort of.
My phone still pairs to iDrive (most of the time), and I can hear people (most of the time), but people cannot hear me. The people I call only hear a very loud buzzing noise, no matter how loud I yell. I have paired four different brands of phones all with the same result, ruling out a phone issue.
Can anyone please share their ideas on how my bluetooth could have possibly broke when BMW changed the battery? My car is out of warranty, and I feel BMW should cover this repair since the problem started right after they replaced my battery.
Any thoughts are very much appreciated! Thank you.
Not sure that anything done in the straight out replacement of a battery could cause your phone problem. I suspect you have an electrical ground situation or even a phone firmware update needed.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

try another phone first, to see if its a phone issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

He said he tried 4 different phones already...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
He said he tried 4 different phones already...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

maybe pull the fuse or disconnect the battery again to see if it resets??
does the voice activation button on the steering wheel work? just to see if the mic is ok.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In theory there's no way the Bluetooth problem you describe could have been caused by changing the battery.....but the Bluetooth module is the in boot (trunk) under the boot floor and so is the battery. On the E61 they're not that close, but on the E60 I think they could be on the same side. I suspect that the electrical connector could have been knocked and just needs re-seating.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Members

I have an update on this effort (I am the original poster).

I took the car to a BMW dealership and initially they agreed to diagnose the problem at no cost (even gave me a BMW loaner). In a day I get my car back, they updated the CIP software (I was at version 19.xx.xx) to the point where my iDrive background looks slightly different, but the bluetooth problem is still not fixed (same exact issue as when I brought it in). I bring the car back and on the second visit they diagnose the problem as a faulty TCU (Telematics Control Unit) by diagnostics code (which I guess they didn't do the first time around. They offer to replace it and change me only for the part, not the labor/programming. They wanted over $600 for just the part (the TCU is re-manufactured, mind you, not new). I called around to other dealers and asked their price, and Circle BMW in NJ offered it for under $400. I get back in touch with my dealer and tell them that a competing dealer is offering it for $250 less and my dealer honors the Circle BMW price. In the end, my dealer did not either confirm nor deny that the bluetooth issue is related to them changing my battery, but I feel my dealer did the best they could by matching the lower TCU price and not charging me for labor/programming. Oh and I did end up with what seems to be updated CIP software in my E60, overall I am a happy customer.

People are often quick to bash dealerships, but if you do your homework and research they will often accommodate you. They may not admit any fault or liability, but they often will do their best to make you happy, even if your car is way out of any warranty.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

good to hear
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

You could have bought my TCU thas for sale in the classifieds for $150

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Broke After Battery Change