E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Blown Turbo - How common ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

The turbo cooldown is a myth on modern turbo diesels unless you have brutally nailed it and switch it off immediately. Even then it's unlikely to cause trouble. It stems back to the older times of petrol turbo's that get much much hotter than a diesel turbo and in the olden times mineral engine oil was used, that used to build carbon deposits in the turbo when switched off hot. If these (or parts of) came loose, it would damage the inner mechanics and wreck it.

Modern, fully synthetic oils, very large intercoolers and generally lower temperatures in the diesel turbos make it not necessary anymore. If it gives peace of mind it definitely doesn't do any harm, especially not after a really hot run. Usually the last one or two slow approach minutes of a journey are good enough.

On the issue of blown turbos, there was a lot of them with older than March 03 E46's and also E39's. The units afterwards were much more reliable.

I haven't heard of that many on E60/61's yet. It always looks worrying, as it is normal for people to come back on here or other forums and report about a failed than going on any forum to report you have no failures at all
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Members

Use only synthetic motor oil, and change between 3,000 to 5,000 miles regardless of suggested maintenance interval.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='347969' date='Oct 23 2006, 06:29 PM
Oh Shit!! never let mine cool down... better in the future eh? Hope I remember cos I'm not in the habbit. Also have DMS so would hate to get stung if it goes and they suss the remap..God I'm worried now
Me too (e-maps). I am told the remap is not easily detected but I bet they would look hard for one. Still not seen you on the A19 yet
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

My turbo was replaced. It was noisy (whistle), so the dealer replaced it under warranty. Seemed to be working perfectly OK otherwise. Maybe it was about to blow, I don't know.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Members

My turbo was completely blown at exactly 100.000
Altough the car is from 6-2004 I only had to pay the labour (350?)
No exchange from other parts altough there was a lot of oil burned in the motor.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='347984' date='Oct 23 2006, 07:17 PM
The turbo cooldown is a myth on modern turbo diesels unless you have brutally nailed it and switch it off immediately. Even then it's unlikely to cause trouble. It stems back to the older times of petrol turbo's that get much much hotter than a diesel turbo and in the olden times mineral engine oil was used, that used to build carbon deposits in the turbo when switched off hot. If these (or parts of) came loose, it would damage the inner mechanics and wreck it.

Modern, fully synthetic oils, very large intercoolers and generally lower temperatures in the diesel turbos make it not necessary anymore. If it gives peace of mind it definitely doesn't do any harm, especially not after a really hot run. Usually the last one or two slow approach minutes of a journey are good enough.

On the issue of blown turbos, there was a lot of them with older than March 03 E46's and also E39's. The units afterwards were much more reliable.

I haven't heard of that many on E60/61's yet. It always looks worrying, as it is normal for people to come back on here or other forums and report about a failed than going on any forum to report you have no failures at all
I love you!!!! Ta for putting my mind at rest....
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='347996' date='Oct 23 2006, 07:54 PM
Me too (e-maps). I am told the remap is not easily detected but I bet they would look hard for one. Still not seen you on the A19 yet
More time going to Leeds via the A1M and M1 to Leeds Valley Park....going to Stockton next week. I only live 3 minutes from work so no big comutes

Yeh I know off topic soz
Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='347984' date='Oct 23 2006, 09:17 PM

Agree and that's what people should always remember, and not only about turbo failures, pretty much about any failure in an E60.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Hi guys,

just a few points. the reason why we see very few blown turbos on this board is simply because 98% of the users here drive a petrol engine. If you really read the german forums, you will see atleast one blown turbo per week. the 3.0d has always been a fragile engine, ever since the introduction with 184 bhp. there is no way of stopping this to happen - people who have driven their cars gently have had blown turbos, and those who have slammed their cars have yet to have any problems. fact is, modern engines need less care (ie. waiting after blasting it on the highway) - it generally is disappointing that we are sitting on a ticking bomb
see you rumman
Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

I will have to have a big think about warranty renewal and the costs associated with that and main dealer servicing...

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo - How common ?