E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Blown Turbo - How common ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Ian
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D SE

I've just had my blown turbo replaced under warranty at 50K miles. Due to the turbo failure, it also needed a whole new exhaust and sensors. As this would have cost somewhere in the order of ?4,000 inc. labour, I am now a little worried about the likelihood of failure when my 3 year warranty ends next year :'(

The dealer said it was rare in 5 series, but more common in 3's.

Is it common in E60 diesels ?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

I've heard it's pretty common in the 3-serie (E46 - 320d), and I know we have a few on this board with 530d (E60) with blown turbos

I don't think it's common on the E60, and I really hope it isn't..
Old 10-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

It looks like it's a common problem if you read on German forums especaly 530d and 535d. A lot of drivers dont let the engine work 30-40 sec before shut off and this could couse big problems due turbo failure
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Members

I've gone through one turbo already I've got a 530d sport auto 54 plate currently on 29,000 miles, turbo replaced at 26,000 miles.

Mine didn't go with a bang, just stopped working one day, no smoke just a loss of power, took it out later that day and turbo was working again although not quite right, took it into the dealer and they decided on a replacement turbo.

Feel a bit concerned about running this car out of warranty now, does anyone know what you'd be looking at for a replacement turbo from an independant BMW speciallist?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:20 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It is recommended with all turbo models that after a fast run your allow the turbo to cool for a minute or so before shutting down the engine.

Otherwise the residual heat in the turbo carbonises the oil, then when you start up you get excessive wear.

Running it at idle for a minute or so allows the oil to dissipate the heat and prevent this problem.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Skip' post='347910' date='Oct 23 2006, 03:45 PM
Feel a bit concerned about running this car out of warranty now, does anyone know what you'd be looking at for a replacement turbo from an independant BMW speciallist?
It depends on where you are and who you want to use to do the work... in the UK, I have seen (on other boards - not with my eyes, fortunately) bills ranging from ?400 (for a chap who basically did it himself) to ?4000 for main dealer replacement. Given that service charges seem to vary by a factor of 2 within Europe, I'd expect pretty much the same of repair work.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='347945' date='Oct 23 2006, 07:20 PM
It is recommended with all turbo models that after a fast run your allow the turbo to cool for a minute or so before shutting down the engine.

Otherwise the residual heat in the turbo carbonises the oil, then when you start up you get excessive wear.

Running it at idle for a minute or so allows the oil to dissipate the heat and prevent this problem.
So this has to be the main reason for turbo failure?!

And how safe it is this procedure, i mean if you do that what are the chances to still have a turbo failure?

I always let the engine cool down at least 2 minutes and at least 5 after it was driven really hard. Is it recomended to do it ALL the time? I mean there are times that i drive the car in city and i don't even pass 1500rpms. Is it ok in this case to shut it down instantly?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:18 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The advice I have been given is after fast runs.

Easiest example is when pulling into motorway services, 2 hours at speed followed by instant shutdown is not the best way to treat a turbo.

It will not guarantee turbo health, nor is this the only reason for turbo failure, but giving it a minute or two to cool dwon makes sense to me.

Just driving around at town speeds will not cause the turbo to develop the heat leveles that cause the problem, likewise a motorway run which is followed by 15 minutes low speed driving allows plenty of time for the turbo to cool.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by KAF' post='347965' date='Oct 23 2006, 06:18 PM
The advice I have been given is after fast runs.

Easiest example is when pulling into motorway services, 2 hours at speed followed by instant shutdown is not the best way to treat a turbo.

It will not guarantee turbo health, nor is this the only reason for turbo failure, but giving it a minute or two to cool dwon makes sense to me.

Just driving around at town speeds will not cause the turbo to develop the heat leveles that cause the problem, likewise a motorway run which is followed by 15 minutes low speed driving allows plenty of time for the turbo to cool.
Oh Shit!! never let mine cool down... better in the future eh? Hope I remember cos I'm not in the habbit. Also have DMS so would hate to get stung if it goes and they suss the remap..God I'm worried now
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

I used to drive a turbo and had a turbo timer installed. So even though I turn the ignition off, take out the key, and lock the door, the engine is still running and cooling down. You should cool your car at least 30 seconds to a minute after EVERY drive if you have driven for around 30 minutes. The longer and harder you drive, the longer the cooling time. but if you're too lazy, I would say just get a turbo timer.

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo - How common ?