E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Black i-drive screen - Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Yesterday my i-drive screen went black whilst driving. It switched to the 'BMW' screen and then back to black. Upon starting the car this morning - same thing. Screen switches from 'BMW' screen to black back to 'BMW' screen and so on. Radio, telephone and sat nav are all dead. Its the first time I have an issue with the car since delivery 4 month ago.

Called my dealer who mumbled it must be something to do with the software and told me to bring the car in for at least a whole day.

Anybody knowledgable what this is and what it takes to fix it ?

I've done a search but couldn't find a topic on this.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Silver BMW 530i Premium Package, Sports Package, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Sun Shades, iPod Retrofit kit, M-Tech Kit, OEM Style 172 Wheels

Pretty scary considering I'm taking delivery of one myself in the upcoming months
Old 07-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like CCC went bad?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

I'm 100% sure its a software glitch. New CIP should solve it, but it takes like 6 hours to re-programm the car, hence the "all day" service.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I doubt that this is a software problem. I had the same symptoms and they had to replace the CCC. It is not an uncommon problem. When they replace the CCC you will get the latest CIP update. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

make sure that you don't have any water that leaked into the spare wheel well....the cooler in the trunk leaked and flooded the area and shorted out some control box that it down there....I had the same symptoms that you are describing...pull out the spare and check...

hope this helps....

Cheers,
Old 07-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

thanks for the feedback on the possible reasons / solutions to this issue.

I will report back what action will be taken to fix this.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

I don't know if you've recently had an AUX input installed, but when my dealer did mine they plugged it in slightly wrong and the exact same thing happened to me. Just another possibility I suppose.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Although this TIS indicates hardware problem it can be software ONLY as mine was back in early May with exact symptom. I told SA in advance expect a CCC, but they told me only a reprogram was required and that is all that was on the Invoice.

SI B 84 08 05
Phone, Navigation Systems March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 08 05 dated January 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC - CID Switches Between BMW Banner and Blank Screen

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 Car Communication Computer (CCC)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 Car Communication Computer (CCC)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
The customer may complain that the Central Information Display (CID) switches between the BMW banner and a blank screen (resets). One of the following fault codes is stored:

CID FC "A468 LVDS cable break"

CCC-BO FC "A3E4 fault in file system"

CAUSE
CCC Failure

PROCEDURE 1 (CID FC A468)
On a customer complaint basis, submit a PuMA case to the Electrical Group along with FASTA data.

PROCEDURE 2 (CCC-BO FC A3E4)

In order for this procedure to work properly, DIS V44 and Online Update "DIS_UPDATE_12.4_"or DIS V45 must be installed on the DIS/GT1.

This procedure will only work if "CCC-BO FC A3E4 fault in flash file system" is stored. Do not clear the fault.

Perform a short test on the vehicle. If the CCC-BO is not recognized during the short test, perform an individual test on the module. The CCC may be resetting at the moment.

Page right and identify if "CCC-BO A3E4" is shown in the listing of faults. Switch to "Control unit functions" and select CCC-BO.

Page right and select DIS test plan "CCC complete B6512_50013"

Continue in the test plan until the screen "under fault evaluation A3E4 Control-module fault in CCC. Resetting CCC." At this point the flash file system is being corrected. It will take about 15 seconds to finish

On the next screen the following results are given "A3E4 Control module fault in CCC. Procedure: reprogram CCC (CCC-BO, CCC-ASK, CCC-A, CCC-ANT, CCC-GW)." Make a note of the GWCODE (warranty code) for vehicle programming in the comment box of the warranty claim.

Verify that the flash file error is corrected by ensuring the CID is shown on the BMW Banner and is not cycling. One reset may occur after the test plan has finished. After 3 minutes the system should be stable and not reset.

Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B, using Progman V21.00.00 (Target Data Status E060-06-03-510, E89x-06-03-510) or higher.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD
Old 07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Cobradev, that sure is interesting. I had my CCC replaced prior to that bulletin. I'll bet that they really didn't need to replace it after all. BMW probably figured out it was only a software problem after they had a number of CCC's returned under warranty that weren't really bad. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Black i-drive screen - Help