E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Black DOT Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Hey guys, today i spent some time upgrading to LCI tail lights. While i was doing the swap I looked at the battery and noticed that THE Battery indicator was BLACK, instead of green. I have not had any issues with starting or warning lights (knock on wood) but do i need to replace the battery? and if i do, should i go with OEM or can i go with aftermarket? I read a lot online and couldnt find a definite answer. Some say you can use it some say you cant coz you need to register it.

I looked on realoem and according to it the battery is only $130-$140...is that right, cheap? And how much does it cost to "register the battery?"

thanks guys, its 2am and i am up thinking about this car

Black DOT Battery-image154.jpg
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

I replaced my battery with one from WalMart a month or 2 ago. No issues, I did not register either. The battery was $79 bucks! The battery comes with a 3 yr full warranty and 7 yr pro-rated warranty. The one from WalMart is a little smaller but the specs are the same as far as voltage.

Nothing I have found here says that any damage can come from it. Plus its waaaayyyyy cheaper than the BMW battery and better warranty.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

One item first - Is your car still under the manufacturer's warranty ??

That "black eye" is indicating that specific cell is not correctly charged. It may be an early warning your battery is about to die! If you only drive short distances maybe you could connect a battery tender to help rejuvenate a weak battery cell.

If you're out of warranty, better safe than sorry. I've read (search the forum) that a near exact replacement is available at Autozone or similar parts store. I've read that IF you replace the battery with one that exactly matches the electrical specs of the original battery that "registering" may not be required. But, our cars are electrical and electronic demons ... For some peace of mind you should at least check with your dealer service advisor to see what a replacement installed price would be. If the difference is > $100 I'd be inclined to spend the money and let BMW worry about any future issues.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I have the exact same issue on a 2006 525i. I believe the battery is original. Even if the car is under warranty, would the battery be covered? My gut feeling is it won't since it's the original battery and it's a wear item.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Originally Posted by balbs
I have the exact same issue on a 2006 525i. I believe the battery is original. Even if the car is under warranty, would the battery be covered? My gut feeling is it won't since it's the original battery and it's a wear item.

yeah i am out of warranty, i called stealers and they said its $450, indi shops are charging around $250
with the programming.

i dont mind changing the battery, but i have not noticed any issues with starting or stereo or light (knock on wood) twice.

going later today to get my battery tested?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by balbs
I'm in SoCal and called up Crevier bmw few weeks ago - they said upon testing, they will replace the battery if needed under warranty. My warranty recently expired but if I were you, I'd take it in to have it checked out. They'll get you a loaner if you reserve in advance. Got a 335i loaner with and had some fun with it.

I'm thinking of getting my battery replaced too. The M Shop in Los Angeles, quoted me $360 out the door with an OEM battery registered. Crevier said $540.. freakin expensive.. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by sachal007
Hey guys, today i spent some time upgrading to LCI tail lights. While i was doing the swap I looked at the battery and noticed that THE Battery indicator was BLACK, instead of green. I have not had any issues with starting or warning lights (knock on wood) but do i need to replace the battery? and if i do, should i go with OEM or can i go with aftermarket? I read a lot online and couldnt find a definite answer. Some say you can use it some say you cant coz you need to register it.

I looked on realoem and according to it the battery is only $130-$140...is that right, cheap? And how much does it cost to "register the battery?"

thanks guys, its 2am and i am up thinking about this car

Attachment 113004
I heard it costs $100 or so to get it registered at the stealership. If an Indi shop charges $250 for an OEM registered.. not too bad of a deal IMO. I'd be interested to hear about your decision. In the same situation. Please keep us posted. Thanks boss!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

do a search on this forum and I remember reading about various members changing out their batteries for NON-OEM batteries from autozone, etc and had no problems and did not have to "register" either. Just make sure the specs are the same. Do your research first and then just go to autozone and they will install it for free.

P.S. I do not work for autozone lol...just was there the other day changing out the battery on my sentra and they provided great services and a 3 year warranty ( Yes, I know there is a difference between a sentra and a BMW lol)

good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by leese8080
I'm in SoCal and called up Crevier bmw few weeks ago - they said upon testing, they will replace the battery if needed under warranty. My warranty recently expired but if I were you, I'd take it in to have it checked out. They'll get you a loaner if you reserve in advance. Got a 335i loaner with and had some fun with it.

I'm thinking of getting my battery replaced too. The M Shop in Los Angeles, quoted me $360 out the door with an OEM battery registered. Crevier said $540.. freakin expensive.. :thumbsdown:

Hey where in SoCal are you? I live a few blocks from the M shop. I wonder how much they charge if I just have them register an OEM battery that I install myself?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Members

What I don't understand is why does a battery replacement require computer programing? If you are replacing an old battery with a new one of the same specs such as voltage and amperage and not physical size, what programming must be done? As an example, if you take a laptop and replace its battery do you need to reinstall the operating system? Something sounds fishy???

Quick Reply: Black DOT Battery