E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Black Car Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

...Carbon black always has blue in its explanation, and black saphire has silverish meatalic chips in it. If you want true black get jet black..all others are not really black..
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='385385' date='Jan 30 2007, 11:28 AM
...Carbon black always has blue in its explanation, and black saphire has silverish meatalic chips in it. If you want true black get jet black..all others are not really black..
I have seen jet black, metallic black and carbon black cars side by side in a showroom, in the absence of direct sunlight but in front of large windows on an overcast day.

I couldn't tell the difference between jet black and metallic black until I was right next to the car. From more than 2m away it was virtually impossible to tell the difference. I am not sure whether it is worth paying the price premium if they charge you for it.

Carbon black, on the other hand, shows a blue haze when looked at a certain angles under natural light or artificial light that has UV in it (such as HID or flourscent light). Under incandescent light it looks very much like just black.

In photos all three look exactly the same.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Blah' post='385403' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:47 PM
...all three look exactly the same.
When I was in Toronto in May I saw ONLY black e60s.

ABC
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='385048' date='Jan 30 2007, 01:10 AM
In Ireland metallic paint is a eur1100 (us$1400) option. Therefore Jet Blk over Carbon Blk leaves $$$$ for other options. Is this cost differential typical in all regions? Do you think this price preium for Carbon Blk is justified?
Metallic colours for a E60 cost 1440 ? overhere

Jet Black is a very nice colour...
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='385121' date='Jan 29 2007, 09:25 PM
First, allow me to chuckle over your title: "Black Car" in America is the generic term for reserved taxi/limousine service (vs hailable taxi cab) and virtually all are Lincoln Town Cars. So the image first conjured up was amusing.

But less amusing is the fact that they stick you for metallic black as an option! My first high-performance BMW was an 87 535 iS that was Diamant Schwartz--metallic black. It was available only on the Sport model. Today, I have the Jet Black E60 (545 sport), but ironically, looking at my avatar you can't tell, but my bike (an 07 K1200 GT--the 152 hp, 2-wheeled equivalent of a 545/550 sport) is "Graphite"...you guessed it: Metallic Black.

So, it's a marketing game, as others above have suggested. Frankly, I think the metallic black never looks sparkling clean--as only a pure black car can....for at least 30 minutes.

In sum, I wouldn't pay extra, but would surely consider a larger engine, where it comes "Free."
Cheers,
Ray Hull
When I first read the title I thought he was referring to car owners who are Black or of African American Heritage.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Originally Posted by Veight' post='385422' date='Jan 30 2007, 12:32 PM
When I first read the title I thought he was referring to car owners who are Black or of African American Heritage.

Ummmmm....no. Suffice it to say in the limited time I have been associated with this forum, I have not seen (nor expect to see) any reference to color (colour for my Brit friends), creed, nationality, race, religion nor any other differentiating attribute other than the particular flavor (again, flavour) of our bimmers. Nuf sed <_<
Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Spyder44' post='385433' date='Jan 30 2007, 05:55 PM
Suffice it to say in the limited time I have been associated with this forum, I have not seen (nor expect to see) any reference to color (colour for my Brit friends), creed, nationality, race, religion nor any other differentiating attribute other than the particular flavor (again, flavour) of our bimmers. Nuf sed <_<
Give it time... you'll certainly see some clash of culture and nationality on this forum from time to time. Particularly, Europeans and Americans having a go at each other over all sorts of silly stuff.

I could point you to some recent threads but there's no point in dredging up the past...

Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black sapphire is an awesome color. It gives three more colors (green blue purple) when reflects only, especially at sunset and below spotlights at night. I think it worth the optional extra 800 Eur. "Black pearl" it's usual name at car-body shops. I love it.

Black Car Owners-spoiler_cut.jpg
Old 01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Interesting question. Firstly of course its an absolute rip off but we are all used to paying through the nose for any BMW accessories. Jez look at the car mats as an example E130 for a set of cheap mats with adhesive and velcro? Madness.

My last car was Jet black non metallic on a 2002 520 M Tech. The paint is definitely very soft and prone to scratch and swirl very easily. My Pal has the same car with cosmo black metallic. The car looks a little like metallic gray in certain light but the paint is definitely more resiliant. Until you have a knock and the bodyshop try to match it up. Then the fun really starts as the older it gets (His is 5 years old now) the harder it is to match and as a result it does not look great.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Members

In Singapore no additional cost for metallic paint.

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='385048' date='Jan 29 2007, 05:10 PM
In Ireland metallic paint is a eur1100 (us$1400) option. Therefore Jet Blk over Carbon Blk leaves $$$$ for other options. Is this cost differential typical in all regions? Do you think this price preium for Carbon Blk is justified?

Quick Reply: Black Car Owners