E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bizarre Parking Lamp Message

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:32 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

If you have the bi-zenons and adaptive headlamps, then the "highbeams" are used for the daytime running lamps at 1/2 strength. These (inner lamps) are also the "flashing lamps". I believe that the bulbs should be H7s, not the H8s that you mentioned.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: e60 535i JB4+DCI
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
If you have the bi-zenons and adaptive headlamps, then the "highbeams" are used for the daytime running lamps at 1/2 strength. These (inner lamps) are also the "flashing lamps". I believe that the bulbs should be H7s, not the H8s that you mentioned.
Thank you for the info. I will swap out those bulbs. I suppose the bulb is on its way out which is causing this intermittent error.

At least there's no permanent dash light for it lol
Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525ix, E39 M5, 350Z

So I added load resisters on the right side, which was the problem area. Then the problem jumped to the left side! So I added load resisters to the left side headlamp thinking I finally had the gremlin cornered, and now at startup, I get a quick left/right parking lamp malfunction message, then it self corrects and stays extinguished for the remainder of the drive.

I guess I'll have to live with that. I'm chalking this one up to my 2007.5 model year, half Mexican edition half German edition. It goes away so fast I'm not sure its even worth addressing further. Annoying though, after several hours of coding, labor and about $50 in load resistors, still an issue, albeit a different one.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Code the voltage monitoring out on your halos. Use Carly for BMW or one of the other software packages.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BrownPower
So I have a similar issue, not sure if i should create my own thread or not.

I started getting the left daytime/running lamp error about a month ago. Im currently using the h8 lux bulbs from n54 tuning. i checked the angel eyes and its working. I dont get it. is there another bulb that could casue this error?
It's a bad resistor or angel eyes ballast. some cheaper LED H8 kits have this issue. You should get the part swapped. If it continues then it's not designed for your vehicle (H8 is universal but it only works well on certain cars unless the factory knows which resistor goes to which car).

For example, the ICETEC units we sell for H8 work great in every H8 application except the F01 and E63/4 LCI. For those cars, it requires a special resistor that we sell as a separate (same price) option.

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718
Daytime Running Lamp is basically a reduced power mode of your High Beams. What kind of bulb do you have in there? LED?
Only on 2004-2007, 2008+ which is what he has is caused by a faulty resistor or bad ballast from the angel eyes.

So get this... I unplugged the passenger side headlamp and found the two wires that feed 12v to each angel eye ring respectively - add a load resistor - and STILL am getting the Right Front Parking Lamp error message!

I'm gonna try resetting the LCM tomorrow through DIS/GT1. I'm out of ideas after that. This is so beyond annoying I cannot even begin to articulate. Stay tuned. I will find the issue!
are you using LED turn signals? do they flash fast when signaling?

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
DRL are the angel eyes for 2008+ cars
DRL are the high beam at 50% on 2004-2007 cars.
Flash to pass on 2004-2007 is the inner "high beam", 2008+ is the bixenon shutter.

So I added load resisters on the right side, which was the problem area. Then the problem jumped to the left side! So I added load resisters to the left side headlamp thinking I finally had the gremlin cornered, and now at startup, I get a quick left/right parking lamp malfunction message, then it self corrects and stays extinguished for the remainder of the drive.

I guess I'll have to live with that. I'm chalking this one up to my 2007.5 model year, half Mexican edition half German edition. It goes away so fast I'm not sure its even worth addressing further. Annoying though, after several hours of coding, labor and about $50 in load resistors, still an issue, albeit a different one.
this is how resistors work, they trick the computer AFTER it does the check. So you will see this until you do a capacitor and/or what JTB says below.

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Code the voltage monitoring out on your halos. Use Carly for BMW or one of the other software packages.
Best idea yet. Most people don't have that and a capacitor tends to work better in terms of one-time cost, but coding definitely the way to go.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
As mentioned, I started this by coding off all six checking functions for the parking lamps. Did the exact same procedure on my 2006 M5 and never had a single issue, plus I did verify the coding "took" because when I read the LCM script, the changes are there.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by umnitza

are you using LED turn signals? do they flash fast when signaling?

Negative on the LED turn signals. Standard incandescent bulbs in there.

this is how resistors work, they trick the computer AFTER it does the check. So you will see this until you do a capacitor and/or what JTB says below.

Good info. Makes sense. Adding the capacitor to where exactly? Headlamp \_/ resistor \_ / chassis - where do they go in that order? Place an "X" in the appropriate spot please (I'm a simpleton) lol
Also, again, I started this journey with coded-off parking lamps... The computer is ignoring its coding...
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i stick
Model Year: 525i

+1 on that i have BMWhat app and it also does not work