E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about taking our bikes on our next vacation, using my car to get there. I'm fairly happy with my bike-rack for short distances (less than 50 miles and not faster than 80mph). For longer distances and higher speeds (max around 110mph) I don't feel too confident that it can stay secure for long enough. It's secured using straps that could easily work loose with a long period of vibration (I imagine). I'm looking for something that's a lot more secure and not "strappy".

Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I have one very similiar to what you have made by Saris I think. The other choices that are out of the question maybe would be a roof rack or one that uses a trailer hitch. Check with the manufacturer to see what they say about safe speeds, safety, etc. Other than that if your only going to one location to ride ship your bike to the hotel your staying at.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I have a hitch mounted bike rack on my 535. I'll post some pics when I get home. Had the hitch installed at uhaul. They can't install the hitches to the frame so they installed it to the trunk plate (bottom of the trunk bay/tray, underneath) they told me I can tow up to 2500 pounds but I only tow my bikes.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Have you thought about the Roof rack system from BMW? You would need a Base Support System and either a Touring Cycle holder or a Racing Cycle holder. You can even get a Bicycle Lift that picks the bicycle up from the ground (very expensive). Check your local BMW website under Accessories. I only checked two sites for US and Canada. US site has US prices.
Base=$266
Holder=$144
Lift=$586
Just a thought to protect both your rides.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by epilithic
I have a hitch mounted bike rack on my 535. I'll post some pics when I get home. Had the hitch installed at uhaul. They can't install the hitches to the frame so they installed it to the trunk plate (bottom of the trunk bay/tray, underneath) they told me I can tow up to 2500 pounds but I only tow my bikes.
Here are the pics of my bike rack. Roof racks are always a good option but i didnt feel like picking up my bike after a long ride in the mountains and mounting in on the roof of my car. Thats just me though, plus i have read a few threads where members say they feel a considerable amount of drag when driving on the freeway with a roof rack.
Attached Thumbnails Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_1.jpg   Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_2.jpg   Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_3.jpg   Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_4.jpg   Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_5.jpg  

Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_6.jpg   Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?-photo_7.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Have you thought about the Roof rack system from BMW? You would need a Base Support System and either a Touring Cycle holder or a Racing Cycle holder. You can even get a Bicycle Lift that picks the bicycle up from the ground (very expensive). Check your local BMW website under Accessories. I only checked two sites for US and Canada. US site has US prices.
Base=$266
Holder=$144
Lift=$586
Just a thought to protect both your rides.
Yeah. Hmmmm. Naaa. I've seen those and never liked the idea of them, and that was without even knowing how much they cost. We could buy a couple of cheapo bikes in each location we're going to for a few years before the cost of the roof system ever would have been a better option. I also don't like that I can't prepare the bikes onto the car the night before (because they'd be too high to fit in the garage). It can take a good half hour to affix the bike rack we have now and both bikes in the most secure way possible. If you want to set off bright and early, that's time we don't have.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Contributors

Here are the pics of my bike rack. Roof racks are always a good option but i didnt feel like picking up my bike after a long ride in the mountains and mounting in on the roof of my car. Thats just me though, plus i have read a few threads where members say they feel a considerable amount of drag when driving on the freeway with a roof rack.
Now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for (although I didn't know it when I asked because I didn't know such a thing existed)

What I like about that is the solid look of it. The clampy bolty non-strappy aspect to it. When that thing's locked in place, it ain't shiftin' around and working loose. It also looks like fitting would go pretty quickly. There's no point me asking too many questions about that specific one, as I'll be unlikely to find it here in Germany (or it be cost-effective to order it here with shipment and customs). I've put those photos on my phone and I'm going to try a few places and find something similar. Bike shops first probably.

Cheers !!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

I was gonna suggest the place where I bought because they have stores nation wide but then I realized your not in the states. I purchased at racknroad. They have a website so maybe they can ship? Also one morning I forgot I had my bike attached to my bike rack and proceeded to race a motorcycle who was taunting me. After I realized that my rack was on I had an oh s@&$ moment and quickly slowed down. I had gotten ip to 140 mph and the rack or the bike DIDN'T even budge, move, shake, rattle, or come loose. Extremely happy with this rack.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Contributors

I was gonna suggest the place where I bought because they have stores nation wide but then I realized your not in the states. I purchased at racknroad. They have a website so maybe they can ship? Also one morning I forgot I had my bike attached to my bike rack and proceeded to race a motorcycle who was taunting me. After I realized that my rack was on I had an oh s@&$ moment and quickly slowed down. I had gotten ip to 140 mph and the rack or the bike DIDN'T even budge, move, shake, rattle, or come loose. Extremely happy with this rack.
Good to know. I'm unlikely to get up to those speeds with the bikes on. They're so strict with rules over here that if I were to break the maximum speed limit for the bike rack and have an accident due to it (somehow), then my insurance would have the right to not pay out. Great to know it can handle that though. I can feel confident cruising at around 110mph.

The issue with buying from the states isn't whether they'll ship, most will. The problem is (as I've discovered too often), when the items get here, they get detained by customs and you have to go along there and collect them. You have to pay import duty and customs and VAT not only on the item, but also on the shipping costs. I've bought things for $100 and ended up paying nearly $200. So when you see something in the states for $100 and over here for $150 and you think you're being ripped off (which you are), buying direct from the states and thinking you're beating the system doesn't quite work out :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 08-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a universal Yakimia and no matter how I positioned it, the rack support feet always wanted to sit on the bumper. This would cause dents but they did come out after a few hours. I only used it one time and then decided it was too risky to damage the car. I am considering a hitch mount where I can share it between the 5 and the X5. It's more money up front but from what I can tell I think they are better fro stability and not damaging the car.

Quick Reply: Which bike-racks do people have for their E60?