E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Biggest Disappointment in My 550i

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

As the summer has finally warmed here in the Pacific Northwest, I'll echo what I've read elsewhere here about my biggest disappointment: the A/C capacity for cooling the cabin when two or more adults are in it. It is marginal when outdoor temps are 85+. MAX air is better, but untolerably loud. Even the normal A/C, when the two temp controls are set to coolest is marginal in cold air and too noisy to be enjoyable.

I have the ventilation settings set to maximum flow to the torso....

The other, somewhat distant 2nd biggest disappointment, is an irritating vibration of the dash area near the iDrive, above or within the ventilation ducts. I can't quite isolate it, but I'll say about 50% of the time it is noticeable and irritating.

Now, the list of most enjoyable items would be Extensive!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='624692' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:49 PM
As the summer has finally warmed here in the Pacific Northwest, I'll echo what I've read elsewhere here about my biggest disappointment: the A/C capacity for cooling the cabin when two or more adults are in it. It is marginal when outdoor temps are 85+. MAX air is better, but untolerably loud. Even the normal A/C, when the two temp controls are set to coolest is marginal in cold air and too noisy to be enjoyable.

The other, somewhat distant 2nd biggest disappointment, is an irritating vibration of the dash area near the iDrive, above or within the ventilation ducts. I can't quite isolate it, but I'll say about 50% of the time it is noticeable and irritating.

If your AC does not do the job in the PNW, there is a problem with it. My AC does a magnificent job in New Orleans in what is typically 90-95 degree heat combined with 90-95 percent humidity. I suggest that you have it checked by your dealer.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

That vibrating noise could be the fan for the temperature sensor. Mine is annoying and have asked service dept. to look into it. They told me that they could not find it. The noise appears after a while of driving and is more prominent when the fan is turned low. I am going back to the dealer soon for regular maintenance and will insist it gets fixed this time.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My advice is to leave it set to automatic (don't override any settings) and, optionally, adjust the center vent temperature to all blue bars. I assume you have played around with the automatic mode where you can make it intensive, normal, or that third setting. Obviously, those three settings will affect the noise level. I always leave mine on normal and generally, the system works very well.

Also, just to be safe, double check the rear vent settings to make sure it's set to blue and on fully...
Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Cal, I can make ice cubes in mine , there must be a problem , I'm luvin mine too !!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I do intend to mention both of these items to the dealer when I do the 7500 mile oil change in a couple weeks. I'm a little disinclined to have those young service techs start tearing up my interior looking for the vibration... It seems like they know mostly how to unplug one component and plug another in, so to speak.
Cal
Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Same here...I find myself turning the AC up in temp after a while even when it is 90+ out. It's amazing how cold it can get
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

As a full figured fellow and living in the arid part of the PNW, my air works great, up to and through 105. I would mention it to your SA. Use small words, with lots of hand gestures and symbols.

My biggest dissapointment with the 550i is my own fault, I thought I would get a higher standard of service from BMW than what I have experienced.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I drove to and was in Vegas late June/early July where the temps were 113+. My AC kept me nice and cool, at least until I had to turn the damn thing off to park.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='624692' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:49 PM

really... in my car i frezzzzzzzzzzzz.. i have to turn it up a little... i would check it out if i was u.....

Quick Reply: Biggest Disappointment in My 550i