E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Big gash in run-flat tyre and still driving at high speeds for 2 days&

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='690631' date='Oct 11 2008, 11:07 PM
I would not recomend mixing RFT and non RF on the same car.
+1 Is not recomended.

Here, in Spain, a lot of BMW users is changing the RFT's and mounting non RFT's, to gain comfort, grip and control, losing safety.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thefatalrisk' post='672070' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:26 PM
3) Is it a necessity to put RFTs (run-flat tyres) on the wheel once I get them replaced? The guy at the tyre factory said (although he wasn't too sure) that because it was an expensive car (beema) I should put on what came with it because of the pressure monitors etc etc. (Just as I write this, got a phone call from another tyre company saying it's ok to put 2 non-RFTs in back and leave 2 front as RFTs, so I guess that answers that q.)
Hi,

I'd like to ask how you ended up going with your tyre choice since this original post?

I have a 2006 530d sport which now has a completely flat rear left tyre. I can't see any visible gash or hole yet, but I've not really looked carefully. It won't fill up with any air though, even if you press the 'for flat tyres' button on the air compressor.

My car has never ridden well with run-flats - even at low-ish speeds (~50km/h) the entire car can skip sideways when taking a corner that has corrugations/other bumps in the road. I've heard before that the E60's suspension wasn't tuned for run-flats until late in its model life (MY08 onwards?), which would suggest why my car behaves this way. And by extension, that I'd be better off with regular tyres (which are also a lot more affordable).

I'd be very keen to learn how your car has gone since your tyre replacement. Did you end up putting 2 non-RFT's or a full set of either RFT's or non-RFT's? Which tyres did you buy and have you found them good?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='672104' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:04 AM
"Next thing is, the cost. $644 AUD EACH !!!! I nearly puked when the dude told me. (I'm a student and can no way afford that)" --- well you do own a E60 being a student.... if you couldnt afford it you would have bought something cheaper....lol....good luck with the new tires....
Although I wouldn't have been as direct I was thinking the same thing. A month after I bought my e60 I went through FOUR new tires at almost $1000 USD. The camber setup will chew through rear tires. Get ready for an expensive ride.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

I'm at a loss about where to begin my post about your situation. There's always a first time for everything but if you stay ready, you won't have to get ready. In your case it means you are driving a vehicle that is equipped differently than most on the roads today. That means it has features and functions that make it "different" than your run of mill car.

As a student I'm sure you are constantly learning!

I suggest you start learning about your car - and NOT from Wikipedia!! Asking questions on this forum is a start so that's a good thing. Taking a couple of hours to ready your BMW owner's manual can help, too. One is available on line at the information section of this forum.

Here's my advice:
#1 - Lots of informative posts about FTM and TPMS ... RFTs ... search for them. READ THEM with a critical eye and separate "opinion" from "fact".
#2 - Take the "Alerts" and "Warnings" your e60 is able to provide you SERIOUSLY!! While it is "possible" that a false alarm can be triggered that is no reason to IGNORE the warning.
#3 - You now know that a tire has a several sides - top bottom inside and outside ... There's an old joke about a flat tire - "Well, it was only flat on the bottom!"
#4 - You experienced a feature / benefit of RFTs - They actually can be driven on when air pressure is "0"! And they can "look" just fine!
#5 - It 'ain't' cheap to drive a BMW ... but a tire for a Ford can be expensive if you choose the highest capability tire available. And when you're under pressure because your tire can't hold any pressure the tire salesperson has you in his / her grip. Take a few minutes to check and compare features and rating about tires. In the United States I rely on the objective information on tirerack.com. I'm certain there is a similar company in Australia that has a website and info available. Just be certain they aren't promoting a small number of brands and collecting data from several objective sources.

Good luck moving through this bad experience .. .. I'm certain next time you'll be better prepared to face the unknown!

2010 can be a better year indeed
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='672132' date='Sep 18 2008, 05:31 AM
My bet is you had a small puncture (like a nail or something) but your continued use (abuse) of the tire while it was flat caused it to overheat, melt, tear, etc.

There's no way all that damage happened at once since you would have heard or felt something when it did...

I assume you've stopped driving on it now -- if not, you probably should!
I agree. The top pic also looks like the inner edge is worn severely on the inner edge. That could contribute to the tearing of the edge.

If that is the case, check the alignment. Also make sure the tires aren't rubbing on the inner side.

BTW: RFT tires don't have any shorter tread life than others. Its the Z rated sports tires that do. But the Bridgestone Z rated RFTs can last 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or longer.

Lastly, you can run non RFT in the rear and RFT in the front but I wouldn't recommend it. Keep in mind without RFT, you would have been unable to drive, period. Also, do you have a spare, jack, etc for running without RFT tires.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

while the benefits of runflats are great, the selection, price, ride, and life of rft is not that great.
if you switch over to regular tire, you wont regret it, and your pocket will like it better.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

One more reason why RFTs suck: Too many false alarms. Had this been a standard tire, you would have been aware of the flat immediately, replaced the tire, and go on your merry way.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

The lesson: any alarm for low pressure MUST be taken seriously, and that is even more true with RFT.
Just had another alarm on my RFT (when my tyre are just like ~10k km). Checked pressure at first station and found one pressure was lower than what i usually use (2.8 bars). Over inflated that wheel and back in the car, reset pressure sensor. Could finish trip with no more alarm, drove to BMW next day and as soon as you tell them you have a pressure alarm, they had to take the car and have a look (legally obligated as if you would have an accident while you told them they could be at risk...).
They found and showed me a small puncture (and I could hear already the cash register...) ...but repaired it... to my surprise (!) as I thought RFT could not be. They said RFT can be repaired, depending where the puncture is. On top they checked all other wheels, made me a 0 euro bill to confirm all was good and did let me go. Got to say, great service, specially as it was December 30th and they were short of people. My lucky day.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Old 01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1082803' date='Jan 1 2010, 04:23 PM
while the benefits of runflats are great, the selection, price, ride, and life of rft is not that great.
if you switch over to regular tire, you wont regret it, and your pocket will like it better.
+1. To me, RFTs are a great idea whose technology is not yet ready for prime time. I am very happy that BMW equipped my 550 with non-RFTs. They ride great -- handling and comfortwise.

Quick Reply: Big gash in run-flat tyre and still driving at high speeds for 2 days&