E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bi-xenon retrofit - Unusual error messages

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Hopefully someone will be able to help as none of the other threads about bi-xenon retrofit mention the error messages I am getting.

I get rear light left faliure message as soon as I start the car (light switch is off position) and this message stays on for as long as the car is on.

I get a rear light right faliure a few seconds after the xenon beam is turned on. It then goes off but comes back on about 3-4 seconds after I push the brake pedal. About 3-4 seconds after the brake pedal is released this message disappers but will come on everytime the brake pedal is pressed for 3-4 seconds.

I also get 'parking light front right faliure'. This is only occassionally.

Apart from the error messages the lights work fine. I thought the rear light faliure messages were due to having LCI taillights with Bruce's cable but I put the original pre-LCI taillights in and still get the error messages.

This is the What I done to get the retrofit

- cut the green wire
- splice the green wire coming from the harness/socket to the grey wire
- splice the other side of the green wire to the White wire
- splice negative end of 4700uf 35v capacitor to fat brown wire
- splice positive end of capacitor to yellow wire
- add wire (part number 61130007571) to the car headlight wiring harness and attach the other end if the wire to part of the so the ballast gets ground.

After discussing with Medik13 I rechecked the splices and remove the extra wire from the wiring harness. Instead, in order to get ground to the ballast I spliced two brown wires inside the headlight.

However the error messages still come up as explained above.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Have you try to put the Halogen headlight back for a test to see if the error(s) still occur?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Nope

When I managed to the first bi-xenon headlight (right side) I tried only that light along with the left side halogen light for a few days, just to test the bi-xenon headlight. No error message on the halogen side but the bi-xenon headlight had the rear light faliure. At that point it the faliure only came up once the xenon beam was turned on. Once I fitted both bi-xenon headlights the error messages came up as I described above, so I assuming it will be fine with the halogen headlights.

I will try the halogens again just to make sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60

Did you change the light module which supports to xenons?

I got messages also and it was irritating, but just the new light module helped.

Are you you sure, that all wiring is done well, here is pic from my wiring chart.
Attached Thumbnails Bi-xenon retrofit - Unusual error messages-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

That is exactly how I done the wiring.

I thought the whole point of the capacitor was so that you don't need a new LCM. Are you refering to another light module?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Anyone think the error messages are due to having D1S headlights instead it D2R?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

It could be...I didn't know you were using a D1S ballast and bulb. I have never used the D1S setup for a retrofit. I always use D2S. Also, the capacitator is to eliminate the strobing effect.

A new LCM may work, but it is an expensive option. When I do the retrofit, I never change the LCM and the only reason I have gotten an error message is if the splice didn't make a solid connection.

Milko...do you still get ANY error messages with the LCM swap???
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
I thought the whole point of the capacitor was so that you don't need a new LCM. Are you refering to another light module?

I thought same... I also got daily "parking light front right failure" messages.

Anyway, my error messages were gone when I changed the other LCM.

The modules are quite expensive (~ 380 eur) so try find used first or much better If you can borrow and try it the first, for example someones car which is xenons..

My light modules part no. is 61356943283 (it supports xenons, adaptive headlights and HUD). I think the making is ended with this serial part number ? so If you buy new one, please find replacement.

Hopefully these helps..
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by medik13
Milko...do you still get ANY error messages with the LCM swap???
None. After LCM swap, error messager are totally gone.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

WOW...thats good to know.

Quick Reply: Bi-xenon retrofit - Unusual error messages