E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BI-Xenon!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I am getting the 05 530i
and I am wondering why there is no BI-Xenon?
Because when I ordered the car
the agent told me there is no BI-Xenon for it
How can it be??
Old 12-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E60 530i base does not have Bi-Xenon. It's an option that you have to pay.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Contributors

I guess you do have the bixenon if you order xenon headlights. I just found out this feature couple weeks ago. Before I was on the same thinking with you (no bixenon).

try this:
1. park your car in front of the wall.
2. turn on the auto headlights.
3. on your left lever (turn signal lever) do :
push toward you --> you activate the high beam (2 lights closer to the grille)
push inside toward spedometer --> you activate the bixenon (more brighter high beam. you should notice that your xenon lights now brighter and point upward).In this stage you should see the blue light between spedometer.

there are 2 kinds of high beams : 1. ON when you hold it towards you.
2. ON when you push toward spedometer (activate the high beam on the projectors (outer light house)

I guess this is what they mean with bixenon. Thats what i understand from the past about what bixenon means. hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Bi-xenons means both the headlights and high-beams (pull) are Xenons. Tri-xenons perhaps referring to the small city lights are also xenons.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Dec 15 2004, 06:43 AM
Bi-xenons means both the headlights and high-beams (pull) are Xenons. Tri-xenons perhaps referring to the small city lights are also xenons.
[snapback]69260[/snapback]
Close but not 100% correct. There are no xenon high-beams for when you "pull" the turn signal stalk, only push.

Basically bi-xenons are xenon low-beams with a "shutter" that flips in or out to change the headlights' "spray" or pattern. The shutter blocks the light from blinding other drivers when on low beam. When on high beam (push the turn signal stalk), the shutter flips out of the way to allow the light to shine high as well as low. The additional, inner bulbs which were traditionally used for high beams on cars are now regular bulbs that are used two ways: 1. They are used at a low intensity for DRLs; 2. They are used at a higher intensity when pulling the turn signal stalk for flashing other drivers. They are not considered high beams.

Because xenon lights don't illuminate to their full brightness rapidly, it makes the most sense to use the shutter method to provide xenon light output on both low and high beam modes...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Dec 15 2004, 09:06 AM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Dec 15 2004, 06:43 AM']Bi-xenons means both the headlights and high-beams (pull) are Xenons. Tri-xenons perhaps referring to the small city lights are also xenons.
Close but not 100% correct. There are no xenon high-beams for when you "pull" the turn signal stalk, only push.

Basically bi-xenons are xenon low-beams with a "shutter" that flips in or out to change the headlights' "spray" or pattern. The shutter blocks the light from blinding other drivers when on low beam. When on high beam (push the turn signal stalk), the shutter flips out of the way to allow the light to shine high as well as low. The additional, inner bulbs which were traditionally used for high beams on cars are now regular bulbs that are used two ways: 1. They are used at a low intensity for DRLs; 2. They are used at a higher intensity when pulling the turn signal stalk for flashing other drivers. They are not considered high beams.

Because xenon lights don't illuminate to their full brightness rapidly, it makes the most sense to use the shutter method to provide xenon light output on both low and high beam modes...
[snapback]69273[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was curious about that also, easy to understand now.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Dec 15 2004, 05:43 AM
No it does not!! At least not at BMW.

At BMW, the term bi-xenon means that your xenon headlight has a glass lens that will shift the lighting position to act as both the headlight and high beam.

The flash to pass feature is still based on Halogen technology lighting.

I am NOT aware of any manufacture that has a car the would use anything other than Halogen for flash to pass high beam.

hope this helps,

beewang
Old 12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My dad's ML500 with Bi-Xenon flashes the xenons when you pull the stalk. So you always get the xenon highbeam when you pull the lever. Not only when you push it like BMW.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Same with US-Spec Volvos. The delay in the "flash" is annoying even if short.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:12 PM
My dad's ML500 with Bi-Xenon flashes the xenons when you pull the stalk. So you always get the xenon highbeam when you pull the lever. Not only when you push it like BMW.
[snapback]69431[/snapback]
Old 12-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545ia Euro Delivery 1/05 Black/Black Step Sport, Nav, Logic 7, Sirius, Shades

It's my understanding that Xenons are not used for 'passing' on the highway, simply because it's not safe. The technology's not quite fast enough to make it 100% safe, as it is with traditional halogen lights. There is a delay with Xenons, making it difficult to achieve an instant result when 'flashing' or 'passing' someone on the highway.
Bi-Xenon implies that you can use them on the normal setting or permanent high beam setting.

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Dec 15 2004, 10:05 AM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Dec 15 2004, 05:43 AM']Bi-xenons means both the headlights and high-beams (pull) are Xenons. Tri-xenons perhaps referring to the small city lights are also xenons.
No it does not!! At least not at BMW.

At BMW, the term bi-xenon means that your xenon headlight has a glass lens that will shift the lighting position to act as both the headlight and high beam.

The flash to pass feature is still based on Halogen technology lighting.

I am NOT aware of any manufacture that has a car the would use anything other than Halogen for flash to pass high beam.

hope this helps,

beewang
[snapback]69345[/snapback]
[/quote]