E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Beware when reversing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:06 PM
Parking car today I was reversing up to 4 course std brick wall and watching the display screen. The PDC didn't pick it up at all only realised I was close when car hit it. Fortunately only the tail pipes touched so no damage at all. I always thought PDC picked up everything but obviously not! I don't know what you guys do but I tend to rely on the system without looking - not any more!

Beware all
[snapback]185333[/snapback]
glad you didnt kerb it merv. had similar probs.but biggest problem with pdc is that it is not always active when it should be and you have to remember to press switch .but really its a lazy habit we all get into NOT LOOKING IN FAMILIAR PLACES (home driveway ,reversing from garage etc.)
bmw should fit the camera option its much more usefull.and can be active all the time.if necsessary.merv did you have interest in the nav tv from dom?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by radioham' date='Oct 19 2005, 03:07 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 17 2005, 09:06 PM']Parking car today I was reversing up to 4 course std brick wall and watching the display screen. The PDC didn't pick it up at all only realised I was close when car hit it. Fortunately only the tail pipes touched so no damage at all. I always thought PDC picked up everything but obviously not! I don't know what you guys do but I tend to rely on the system without looking - not any more!

Beware all
[snapback]185333[/snapback]
glad you didnt kerb it merv. had similar probs.but biggest problem with pdc is that it is not always active when it should be and you have to remember to press switch .but really its a lazy habit we all get into NOT LOOKING IN FAMILIAR PLACES (home driveway ,reversing from garage etc.)
bmw should fit the camera option its much more usefull.and can be active all the time.if necsessary.merv did you have interest in the nav tv from dom?
[snapback]186262[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not seen the nav tv - where can I see details please?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Just a thought - are the sensors on the M sport bumper in a higher position than those on the standard bumper? If they are this could explain why they failed to pick up the wall as their swept field area may be slightly different.

The system was probably working fine and beeping away like crazy Merv but you didn't here it as you had Abba Gold on at full volume again
Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:15 PM
Just a thought - are the sensors on the M sport bumper in a higher position than those on the standard bumper? If they are this could explain why they failed to pick up the wall as their swept field area may be slightly different.

The system was probably working fine and beeping away like crazy Merv but you didn't here it as you had Abba Gold on at full volume again?
[snapback]186321[/snapback]
They could be higher but also on the sport they're more recessed due to the profile of the bumper. I'll measure the height and hopefully someone with an SE can do the same.

If BMW have positioned them higher I'd like to know "The name of their game". When I'm paying out that sort of "Money Money Money" for a BMW I need to be sure of their systems and not "Take a chance on me" hitting anything. But "When all is said and done" I've always got the "SOS" button to fall back on.

Abba - Never heard of em
Old 10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 20 2005, 01:58 AM
If BMW have positioned them higher I'd like to know "The name of their game". When I'm paying out that sort of "Money Money Money" for a BMW I need to be sure of their systems and not "Take a chance on me" hitting anything. But "When all is said and done" I've always got the "SOS" button to fall back on.

Abba - Never heard of em
[snapback]186329[/snapback]

Skaffa
Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributors

This is one of the main reasons why I chose not to order the PDC...besides not liking the look of the "dots" or "pimples" on the bumpers. Three other people at my office with PDC have also damaged their bumpers!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Oct 20 2005, 12:02 PM
This is one of the main reasons why I chose not to order the PDC...besides not liking the look of the "dots" or "pimples" on the bumpers.? Three other people at my office with PDC have also damaged their bumpers!
[snapback]186407[/snapback]
PDC is there to aid you and you cannot completely abandon your judgement. Plus you have to go real slow when you are backing up to give time for the PDC to react. I have never had a problem with my PDC sensors.