E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE! | My Wheel Almost Came Off While Driving!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Wow. That would have been detrimental. Crazy!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

My Goodness Chris!! Glad you are ok. That really sucks. I wish there was a way you can complain to the shop. They would probably deny it. From now on, I will always check my lugs no matter who works on my car (dealership, friend's shop, etc.)Sorry you had to go through that, we should all learn from this. Happy house hunting Chris. If you have any questions about LA, hit me up bro.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is some scary stuff. Glad you are okay. Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be checking my bolts today.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Ace333
Ive had tire work done at that Bell tire before with no issue and matter of fact their service was great. However lesson learned when you do any road trip anyone should do a self check of the car (tires and lug nuts especially) since you never know. Its possibly durring your travel while parked somewhere that someone could have attempted to tamper/ steal your wheels. Before placing blame on Belle Tire there are many variables that could have happened once you left their shop. They are a reputable company. Yes mistakes can and do happen, but it also could have been something durring your travel from MI to CA. Regardless minimal damage luckily.
First post.
Hello Belle Tire. GTFO!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

Originally Posted by jgt
First post.
Hello Belle Tire. GTFO!

Yes first post, because I found this on another BMW worum so joined. I've actually exchanged messages with Chris on other site regarding his old M5 rims, but they were too rashed for my interest. Sorry to disappoint but I'm not involved with Belle Tire what so ever.

It surprises me after driving from michigan to California the problem was realized. Not along the way at some point where it coul dhave been noticed the lugs were not fully tightened. Anything is possible. But to force blame on Belle Tire in Michigan after the car drove a couple thousand miles across country is not necessarily the most professional action. Not sure what evidence is after thousands on miles driven that Belle Tire is 99.9999% fault. Id like to see evidence supporting that. But one reason why I use Erhard or BMW Ann Arbor who would do my rotates/ balances complementary and stand behind their work. After all Chris, you should have known better to have anything done in Southfield where the work force is careless and lazy all round...

To further clarify. No involvement with Belle Tire. Work for a major OEM Tier 1 supplier and have extensive automotive background.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Engine: N52

Yes first post, because I found this on another BMW worum so joined. I've actually exchanged messages with Chris on other site regarding his old M5 rims, but they were too rashed for my interest. Sorry to disappoint but I'm not involved with Belle Tire what so ever.

It surprises me after driving from michigan to California the problem was realized. Not along the way at some point where it coul dhave been noticed the lugs were not fully tightened. Anything is possible. But to force blame on Belle Tire in Michigan after the car drove a couple thousand miles across country is not necessarily the most professional action. Not sure what evidence is after thousands on miles driven that Belle Tire is 99.9999% fault. Id like to see evidence supporting that. But one reason why I use Erhard or BMW Ann Arbor who would do my rotates/ balances complementary and stand behind their work. After all Chris, you should have known better to have anything done in Southfield where the work force is careless and lazy all round...

To further clarify. No involvement with Belle Tire. Work for a major OEM Tier 1 supplier and have extensive automotive background.
Many apologizes then. First post just seemed trollish.
Good thing Chris found this out while traveling at relatively low speeds. I don't even want to think about what would've happened with some speed.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

@Ace333

i drove a little over 2300 miles from detroit to Cali....but since ive been in LA ive driven over 1000 miles looking for a place so perhaps it was just a matter of time that they came loose since they were never tightend properly.

if u were in my shoes, the first person you would call would be the LAST person to touch/work/install that part of your car....esp if it were done recently. i think you should be a lot more sensitive and realistic about it all.

seriously if u were in my shoes just 3 weeks after they do a crappy job on the install you'd chuck it up to chance that the lug bolts at all four courners weren't tightened properly? you'd actually consider someone rather tried to steal your STOCK OEM wheels while on a cross country road trip? again, i only stopped in a couple places and may car was in valet at nice hotels w/ range rovers, bentlys and other things that theives would angle for first lol. even here in LA my car is parked nightly in a locked garage....so yea, Belle Tire 99.9999_% at fault.

my logic is flawless

welcome to the forum tho, this is a kick ass place full of information, great vendors, great members and the occasional diatribe by members such as myself
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

You would be surprised the market for OEM wheels and why theives target them. Much more difficult to trace. Through experience I would experience I would think if the lugs were improperly tightened they would come lose way before a few thousand miles. Are your lugs OEM or after market?

Anyways, can beat a dead horse all day. I do like the black M5 rims and Id love to enhance the look of my '08 528XI with some new rims eventually. Too bad the Michigan roads can trash a nice set of rims winter or summer.

BTW, just another jab/ poke at Chris, GO GREEN! (MSU Grad here)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

Hahaha! Hey as long as you're not a damn buckeye your ok in my book homie! Lol
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Thanks for clearing that up. You do sound like a rebutter from Belle Tire though. But even so, you do have a valid and strong point.
OP- after seeing the bolt that's broke off in the hub, I would assume you over tightened? That's some amazing torque there! That bolt must have been week. these are not like oil drain bolts which are hollow so they don't break so easy. They will have to take wheel off, take caliper and rotor off and see if there is enough bolt to extract. If not they'll have to pilot it and extract it. Shouldn't be much though. Good luck