E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best Diagnoistic Software for Enthusiast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. First post. I've Been checking out this forum for quite a few months while researching and learning what I could about the E60's . I wanted to be educated a bit before the purchase. I looked at several and drove a few over the last 7-8 months. Finally settled on a 06' 530i. What valuable resource for enthusuats this site is!
Here's my question. I have been contemplating purchasing some diagnostic software in order to able to check trouble codes, read data, and hopefully be able to perform any module replacement type procedures if needed in the future. I am fairly mechanically inclined as I am a Ford senior master technician by trade. I look forward to being able to service this vehicle when needed as I do with all the rest I have owned in the past.
Looking into software choices there seem to be a few out there, some reasonable priced, some limited in function, anand some that are very exspensive. Obviously I would think that the OEM software would provide the greatest range of functionality, but I am unsure that I would need all that it offers for my uses.
I was intrigued by the Bavarian Technic offering, especially the price for the enthusiast kit, but seems somehwat limited for the E60 platform. I would appreciate any other member's input on what is good, what sucks, what you like about a certain setup....or not. Thanks again guys, and let me add, I don't currently have any issues with the new to me ride. I am just thinking about the future becuase I plan on keeping this thing for awhile. Not haveing owned much in the past BUT Fords,this 530 is quite an amazing vehicle in comparisons. I look forwards to the challange of learning somthing new should issues arise, I just want to be prepared when that time comes.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Check on ebay for user euautohaus. i spent too much money and time with others to "fix" issues. this was OEM and had no issues to fix like the other two kits i bought. and i wanted to do certain adjustments and flashing that others wouldnt allow me to. very cheap if you ask me. they have a website too but i got mine off ebay. a few others did too. you can find too much stuff on the internet that is not complete or has corrupt files and it just sucks to find out halfway through. PITA if you ask me. Time is money and i spent too much time searching for things. just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Check on ebay for user euautohaus.
Hi, I searched on ebay...
Do you have link for the one euautohaus sells?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Members

No luck with that search over on Ebay or google. I did find a member here by that name, but not much info.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

very easy just put in username!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/euautohaus/m...id=p4340.l2562
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Which cable would we use? I see he has several different types.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Members

Thanks for helping to figure that out. I don't know what I did wrong, but I couldn't find anything from him.Being that my car is an 06' there is some confusion on wich cable I would use also. I believe my year is all through the OBD 2 connector, but alot ofthe pictures show the older round pin connctor. If you don't mind , could you tell me which one would work for my application? Also , as I am reading it it comes with OEM BMW software too.Is this correct? I would imagine that these are bootleg copies correct? Not a big deal just curious.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

And this looks like a nice forum here...

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bawshog
Thanks for helping to figure that out. I don't know what I did wrong, but I couldn't find anything from him.Being that my car is an 06' there is some confusion on wich cable I would use also. I believe my year is all through the OBD 2 connector, but alot ofthe pictures show the older round pin connctor. If you don't mind , could you tell me which one would work for my application? Also , as I am reading it it comes with OEM BMW software too.Is this correct? I would imagine that these are bootleg copies correct? Not a big deal just curious.
No, they've created their own virtual machines. I've tried about 8 different kinds and none of them worked. Seriously, NONE. Money burned. I also mistakenly thought I needed an OP(P)S head too but everything can be done via OBD. And of course you have OBD. BMW only uses OBD since 2001/2002. Easy, look on your door jam for your build date. If it is 03/2007 and below you need that cable. If you have a 04/2007-2012 you'll need that cable.

As far as BMW coding, that's where I found these guys! I stay on this forum though people over there seem to be disinformed. Not misinformed but disinformed about a lot of things...especially after I read actual BMW literature.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Members

AchtungE60, you seem to know all about it, I am also looking to get the cable/software package from these guys from their ebay store for $159, this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Progman-...t_26035wt_1270
does this look right to you, is this what i need? it says it comes with a bunch of software such as : Progman v41 USB OBD Package DIS SSS NCSExpert INPA EDIABAS....do i need all of them or does one do everything? do you know what each one of those specialty is, i know progman v41 is the official bmw software but not sure if i would use others. thanks in advance for your comments. Also, i know i need to have the car plugged to a power supply while using progmanv 41 for coding, do you know one that's good and not expensive, i have this one, will this work?
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Best Diagnoistic Software for Enthusiast?