E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Been driving on 7psi...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Just been to the air pump to get some air into the runflats...tyres were down to low levels and was feeling it in the handling. Got a real surprise when my rear passenger side registered 7psi all others wer low also but at arounf 16 -18 psi. The car didnt flag that there was an issue?? Anyone else?

Reset the RPA and fingers crossed, will prob swing into local dealer on Monday..shows how good runflats are as side issue, hope i havnt wrecked them!!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

why so low?
have you left the car for a few months and not drive it?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='520282' date='Jan 20 2008, 03:34 PM
why so low?
have you left the car for a few months and not drive it?

No its a daily driver..its only in the last week that the car hasnt felt right...hence a trip to the air pump. I think run flats mask the low pressure effect, The low pressure warning didnt reset after wheel swap from summer to winter wheels. That why I didint get a warning. Have made sure its initilaised properly now.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='520288' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:08 AM
No its a daily driver..its only in the last week that the car hasnt felt right...hence a trip to the air pump. I think run flats mask the low pressure effect, The low pressure warning didnt reset after wheel swap from summer to winter wheels. That why I didint get a warning. Have made sure its initilaised properly now.
right IC, glad itis OK now drive safe
Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Did you check your tyre for a nail? It seems unusual that one tyre would be so much lower than the rest. How often do you check the air pressure?
I also have fun flats. Last week I noticed a nail in one of my rear tyres. The pressure was fine and the FTM did not detect the problem. I brought it to the dealer and they installed a new tyre for free (since I had the wheel/tyre warranty).
Check for a nail in that tyre.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='520275' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:48 PM
Just been to the air pump to get some air into the runflats...tyres were down to low levels and was feeling it in the handling. Got a real surprise when my rear passenger side registered 7psi all others wer low also but at arounf 16 -18 psi. The car didnt flag that there was an issue?? Anyone else?

Reset the RPA and fingers crossed, will prob swing into local dealer on Monday..shows how good runflats are as side issue, hope i havnt wrecked them!!
Some versions of the iDrive software were dodgy for the FTM. Last time mine went off I had a nail in the rear and it had only lost a few PSI!

You probably haven't wrecked your tyres but it will have given your handling a hard time and the fuel consumption would of been impacted big time!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Something similar happened to me a month ago. I had been a bit lazy, and not checked my pressures , just looking a them and they 'seemed ok'.

Driving along a dark country road, a big glaring message that i had a puncture came up on the idrive. Stopped. took a look, still visually looked OK. Drove about 7 miles, and stopped at a garage to put air in the tyres. All of them were low (approx 20psi when i think fronts should be 30 and rears 36 IIRC) - but the problem tyre was at 7psi! So, 7 was the trip point for my system.

Perhaps the stiff walls make the tyre look at a higher profile when a standard flat would have looked more obvious.

In order for the car to 'know' when the tyre is down, it needs to go through a learn process. Looks like its working out how many tyre revolutions each wheel does over a distance of a couple miles, then flags if one is getting out of step due to a radius size change due to the flat. Perhaps your system wasnt well calibrated?

When I took the wheel for repair, i was told my rim may be a little buckled (style 116) - they reseated the tyre, and i havnt had a problem since.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='520371' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:17 PM
Something similar happened to me a month ago. I had been a bit lazy, and not checked my pressures , just looking a them and they 'seemed ok'.

Driving along a dark country road, a big glaring message that i had a puncture came up on the idrive. Stopped. took a look, still visually looked OK. Drove about 7 miles, and stopped at a garage to put air in the tyres. All of them were low (approx 20psi when i think fronts should be 30 and rears 36 IIRC) - but the problem tyre was at 7psi! So, 7 was the trip point for my system.

Perhaps the stiff walls make the tyre look at a higher profile when a standard flat would have looked more obvious.

In order for the car to 'know' when the tyre is down, it needs to go through a learn process. Looks like its working out how many tyre revolutions each wheel does over a distance of a couple miles, then flags if one is getting out of step due to a radius size change due to the flat. Perhaps your system wasnt well calibrated?

When I took the wheel for repair, i was told my rim may be a little buckled (style 116) - they reseated the tyre, and i havnt had a problem since.
Pretty much me...visual checks are not enough it seems....
Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BrianTx5' post='520318' date='Jan 21 2008, 01:43 AM
Did you check your tyre for a nail? It seems unusual that one tyre would be so much lower than the rest. How often do you check the air pressure?
I also have fun flats. Last week I noticed a nail in one of my rear tyres. The pressure was fine and the FTM did not detect the problem. I brought it to the dealer and they installed a new tyre for free (since I had the wheel/tyre warranty).
Check for a nail in that tyre.
wow you are very lucky getting new tryes from the dealer.
In HK they will we have to pay for new 1s these are not covered
Old 01-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='520484' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:43 PM
wow you are very lucky getting new tryes from the dealer.
In HK they will we have to pay for new 1s these are not covered
Hey Pinguhk - WOW, I love your rims. Can you pass along the details?

Quick Reply: Been driving on 7psi...