E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Dealer told me today that my battery requires replacing. The cost wasn't too bad either. $654.00 !!! They must be smoking crack! I've search here and DIY and I am finding all kinds of hodge podge instructions etc. Does anyone have this all wrapped up in one little bundle? AND, there is this well beaten topic about registering your battery. Is this something that we can do? I have the coding cable and programs.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Hi Tony
You seem to have lots of problems with your car, ref battry:
Jump start is no-go with E60.
I recently replaced my batrry with a Bosch one ( same voltage and amps) for arround £110.00 . I made sure to disconnect the old one after 20 min to be in the safe side with everthing off and windows com/closed. All I had to do was reset the time and date after connecting the new one. I asked my dealer to register the new battry and was told only the oem one can be registered !! so far after almost 4 month no problem.
G/L
Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Tony,

I have the advanced auto parts battery that I got for 70 bucks with installation. It works just fine. Screw the registration - I know I am killing my battery but I only care if it lasts 1-2 years and I can always just buy another one.

The AAP one was 100ish and I used a 40 off 100 coupon (google) and the guy was happy to install for free. He even put in a new vent tube. If you still want the OEM, Tischer or Lincoln BMW has them for 250ish I think.

If you still want to register, check these two posts out:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....ttery+register

Its really easy if the replacement battery matches OEM specs.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by ali-cap
Hi Tony
You seem to have lots of problems with your car, ref battry:
Jump start is no-go with E60.
I recently replaced my batrry with a Bosch one ( same voltage and amps) for arround £110.00 . I made sure to disconnect the old one after 20 min to be in the safe side with everthing off and windows com/closed. All I had to do was reset the time and date after connecting the new one. I asked my dealer to register the new battry and was told only the oem one can be registered !! so far after almost 4 month no problem.
G/L
Actually not. I've had the reduced power and now this fuel sensor... The fuel sensor I was thinking it was a fuel pump and I am still not sure that its not. But, they say it a sensor so we will see. The other things brakes and a possible battery is just regular stuff... Now I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that I have not had a few self induced problems ha! In regard to the battery I hear almost equal debate about registering it so I was wondering if it REALLY needed to have this done. I hear people getting airbag sensor warnings and a few other issues when they don't but then others never have a problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Remove the metal brace (if equipped) that holds the battery. 10mm socket.
Remove the negative battery cable with 10mm socket.
Remove positive battery cable. Set the cables aside (you may ask for someone's help to hold the cables while you swap the battery).
Lift up and remove the old battery.
Put the new battery in place.
Connect the positive cable.
Connect the negative cable.
Replace the metal brace (if equipped).
Start the engine. Turn the steering all the way to left, then all of the way to the right, then center the steering. Turn off the engine.
Since you say that you have coding software, register the new battery.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Remove the metal brace (if equipped) that holds the battery. 10mm socket.
Remove the negative battery cable with 10mm socket.
Remove positive battery cable. Set the cables aside (you may ask for someone's help to hold the cables while you swap the battery).
Lift up and remove the old battery.
Put the new battery in place.
Connect the positive cable.
Connect the negative cable.
Replace the metal brace (if equipped).
Start the engine. Turn the steering all the way to left, then all of the way to the right, then center the steering. Turn off the engine.
Since you say that you have coding software, register the new battery.
What does turning the steering wheel left and right do? Do I need to let the car go to sleep with the windows up before removing it? I read this too.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium Package, Grey Leather, Rear Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
What does turning the steering wheel left and right do? Do I need to let the car go to sleep with the windows up before removing it? I read this too.
You only need to do the steering wheel routine if you have active steering. Also, do not forget to reconnect the vent tube.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by tonyb635

Reset the 4x4 malfunction light. I didnt have the car in sleep when mine was changed - but I am not sure.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I replaced my battery at local battery warehouse, they had small 12v battery to connected under the hood. Then I drove to autoshop to reset battery life cycle, but the funny thing, computer already knew that battery was replaced, because it showed odometer numbers with 2-3 miles less then current reading, during resetting process.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

I replaced my battery with a brand called interstate I believe for 170 including labor, tax n registration. my SA told to go with it to save money since the dealer charge 450. the battery has 5 year warranty and if any thing went wrong with it I can replace it at any shop sell these batteries no matter where i got it from

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement