E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black Sapphire 2004 5.30i

I need to replace my battery.

I have a 2004 530i and I took it to Autozone today.

Their system came up with 2 different batteries based on what they said. I didn't have time to have them do the change themselves, so they said they'd need me to bring the battery in to see what type it is.

Has anyone had this happen? Can anyone tell me what type I need?

not sure if this link will work, but these are the 2 types.

Autozone

I have an amp and sub that I need to take out in order to get to the battery compartment. I'd rather do all this work at once with the new battery there.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks as always.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Get the 95R, I just replaced mine this week. 94R is underpowered.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

got my 95R battery from Batteries Plus. Took about a week for them to get.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Members

i need a new battery for me 06 525i soon.what is 95R & 94R?
how much they charge for a new battery??
i ask in dealer, they charge $400+
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributors

I'm not sure what the number is exactly its some sort of power rating. The BMW battery is rated at 85. The 94R battery produces 75, and the 95R produces 95. Can't remember what the number is, something like watts. But basically you don't want to have a lower powered one, its better to be higher. Get the 95R, Autozone has it for $179
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

The Duralast 95R products 950CCA (cold cranking amps) while the Duralast 94R productes 730CCA. Generally the higher the CCA, the more reserve power you will have. That generally becomes an important consideration either in the winter (when it takes more power to crank a cold engine) or for longevity as a battery ages.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I did some research and this is what I find:

1. BMW OEM replacement batteries are made by Exide. See: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=61&fg=30

2. Pepboys has Bosch batteries matching CCA rating with 8 yr warranty. These batteries are actually made by Exide.
This is the news release:

Exide Technologies to Supply Bosch Branded Batteries to Pep Boys

Alpharetta, Georgia - (May 20, 2008) - In conjunction with its new agreement with Robert Bosch Corporation, Exide Technologies (NASDAQ: XIDE, www.exide.com), a global leader in stored electrical-energy solutions, announces a new supply agreement with Pep Boys. Starting this month, Exide will begin shipments of Bosch branded automotive starting batteries to all Pep Boys stores across the United States and in Puerto Rico.

According to the terms of the contract, Exide will supply nearly 600 Pep Boys locations with a wide range of automotive batteries, adding to the Pep Boys Bosch-branded lineup that includes 16 different SKUs ? a range that fits more than 90 percent of vehicles on the road today in both the United States and Puerto Rico.

Broadview, Illinois-based Robert Bosch Corporation is the wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. The company manufactures precision automotive components and systems sold to vehicle and powertrain manufacturers worldwide. Pep Boys is one of the only aftermarket retail and service chains in the nation that serves all four segments of the automotive aftermarket: the do-it-yourself, do-it-for-me, buy-for-resale and replacement tires.

?This is a powerful alliance. The Bosch brand ? the premium battery offering at all of Pep Boys retail locations ? further expands Exide?s reach into the automotive marketplace,? said Bruce Cole, President ? Transportation Americas for Exide Technologies.

The Exide Bosch-branded batteries are manufactured and distributed at Exide?s Salina, Kansas and Bristol, Tennessee facilities. In addition, Exide will service Pep Boys stores through its extensive customer service network.

?Exide?s new relationship with Robert Bosch has presented our Company with an exceptional opportunity with Pep Boys that takes best advantage of our strengths and capabilities,? said Gordon Ulsh, President and Chief Executive Officer of Exide Technologies. ?Our affiliation with two very strong companies also is an indication that our new partners recognize the high quality and technological innovation that Exide integrates into the premium products and services we provide.?

So, I would buy Bosch replacement battery with 8 yr warranty from Pepboys for about $100.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Members

Thanks so much for all your information. Do any one know any brand having 95R product?? where can i get it ??(other than Batteries Plus, is far away from my house).
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

I believe the one I got was Duralast 95R from Autozone.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Autozone or PepBoys both cary replacements (call your local store to make sure they have it in stock)....Autozone part number is in my post above. Pep Boys options are below. GIven HMC's posting above, I think you are good to go to either parts store. Although I would stick with 850CCA or higher.

From Pep Boys Web site:

Bosch 36/96 Month Battery
LTD. 36 MONTH FREE REPLACE.
850CCA/1000CA - RESERVE MIN = 120 BEST FIT ESTIMATE, CHECK POLARITY AND CLEARANCE BEFORE INSTALLING. - BATTERY MAY BE VENTED OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE. - MANUFACTURE'S RECOMMENDED REPLACEMENT MAY VARY FROM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT.
49-850B PB/BOSCH 1

Bosch 36/96 Month Battery
LTD. 36 MONTH FREE REPLACE.
730CCA/800CA - RESERVE MIN. = 80 BEST FIT ESTIMATE, CHECK POLARITY AND CLEARANCE BEFORE INSTALLING. - BATTERY MAY BE VENTED OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE. - MANUFACTURE'S RECOMMENDED REPLACEMENT MAY VARY FROM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT.
94R730B PB/BOSCH

Quick Reply: Battery Question