E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok this past week and a half the car seems to not want to start... it will turn over but from what I can hear it sounds like the battery is getting weak. The dash lights go dim a little when its cranking and it just sounds like it doesnt want to start.

Today was the worse... it was really hard for it to turn over but it did and once started the iDrive told me Active Steering Malfunction. So I shut it down and restarted it... the message went away.

The car gets driven enough to get a good charge. It gets driven about 300 miles a week.

What do you guys think? The battery just going bad or is something drawing power? I've checked... and I have nothing plugged into any of the power sockets...

Just wondering if anyone else had problems similar and how it was resolved. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have them take a look at it day after Christmas...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Although most batteries are advertised with a 5 year life, they often don't hold a charge that long depending on usage. I usually have to replace the battery on my Camaro every 3 years due to the stereo system I have installed,

Since the E60 has so many alectronic components in it, its certainly possible for the battery to be weak. But brining it in for a test (alternator, etc.) anyway can't hurt.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

I just changed the battery on my 04 545i. Warranty may have covered it, but it was Sunday and I had meetings lined up on Monday AM, so I had no choice but got a comparable replacement.

The lifetime on my previous e39 was about the same ... had to replace it after about 3-4 years. The good thing is that the new battery isn't as wide, providing me with additional storage space in the battery compartment
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='509060' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:31 PM
Ok this past week and a half the car seems to not want to start... it will turn over but from what I can hear it sounds like the battery is getting weak. The dash lights go dim a little when its cranking and it just sounds like it doesnt want to start.

Today was the worse... it was really hard for it to turn over but it did and once started the iDrive told me Active Steering Malfunction. So I shut it down and restarted it... the message went away.

The car gets driven enough to get a good charge. It gets driven about 300 miles a week.

What do you guys think? The battery just going bad or is something drawing power? I've checked... and I have nothing plugged into any of the power sockets...

Just wondering if anyone else had problems similar and how it was resolved. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have them take a look at it day after Christmas...
Had the similar problem. My car would die everywhere until I placed the battery. Now no more problems. Let me give you a piece of advice-depending on your relationship with your dealer, it's going to be about $350-$400 for the battery and installation. I would buy the battery yourself and pop it in. It'll save you a couple of hundred bucks. That's what I did.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was only going to be the battery.

I'll see if I can get the dealer to replace it under warranty.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='509314' date='Dec 21 2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys. I was hoping it was only going to be the battery.

I'll see if I can get the dealer to replace it under warranty.
Please let me know how that goes... I believe my dealer may owe me one, since I replaced it myself.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Members

I installed this , a battery recharger from my dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Battery Problems?-batterilader_330_1_.jpg  
Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Masheen' post='509351' date='Dec 21 2007, 03:21 PM
I installed this , a battery recharger from my dealer.
I'll install it if they give me one. hahaha FREE MAINTENANCE man! they need to honor it. Why else did I buy a BMW?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='509354' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:31 AM
I'll install it if they give me one. hahaha FREE MAINTENANCE man! they need to honor it. Why else did I buy a BMW?
I don't now why you bought a BMW, but the battery what ever sure do works..
Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Members

dealer replaced mine a couple of months ago under warranty.

Quick Reply: Battery Problems?