E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery low on Key fob ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

Originally Posted by Xeronix
Sounds like the garage may have done something to impact performance.

If both key fobs are doing it out of the blue, there has to be something wrong.
You know in this crap of a country 99% of people don't do there job properly... judging by the type of people working there you can't trust no one maybe he took some part off and put it on his own car and changed his crap one with mine... if you guys are giving me the impression that the only other thing is that the garage 'may have done something' they will have a big problem on there hands.

If someone can confirm if I have an argument I can give to the BMW garage and what may have happened I will really appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530i

So my guess is it wasn't a BMW SA, right?

It seriously does sound like the amplifier. However, it may simply be a loose connection somewhere, and that would easily make sense as to the shortened range. I know plenty of cases where laptops have been worked on, but haven't had their wifi cards plugged back into the actual antennas, causing the laptops to have a nothing-range.

Also, one thing people lacked to mention here I believe, have you checked your battery voltage? 2 weeks is quite a long time without having using the car, and BMW's are very sensitive when it comes to batteries. You can even get the voltage through the cluster.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Members

The key fob batteries do require occasional recharging by plugging one into the ignition lock. There's likely a small coil in the lock, and another in the key fob, and the battery is charged via inductive coupling when the coils are close.

I'd be surprised if two weeks worth of non-use would be much of an issue for the key fob batteries. However, a battery's effective capacity weakens as it's ambient temperature drops. Cold temperature and an old / weak battery is not a good combination.

Another local transmitter could be interfering with your car's remote system.

But, having both key fobs "go bad" at the same time isn't a good sign...

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Members

So my guess is it wasn't a BMW SA, right?

It seriously does sound like the amplifier. However, it may simply be a loose connection somewhere, and that would easily make sense as to the shortened range. I know plenty of cases where laptops have been worked on, but haven't had their wifi cards plugged back into the actual antennas, causing the laptops to have a nothing-range.

Also, one thing people lacked to mention here I believe, have you checked your battery voltage? 2 weeks is quite a long time without having using the car, and BMW's are very sensitive when it comes to batteries. You can even get the voltage through the cluster.
lol... BMW dealer in London.

How can there be a loose connection if everything worked perfectly till I handed them my car... something on my mind at the moment is that could the battery possibly be weak in the car (the actual battery of the car), you mentioned checking the battery voltage through the cluster could you explain this further please ? (
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by crewzer
The key fob batteries do require occasional recharging by plugging one into the ignition lock. There's likely a small coil in the lock, and another in the key fob, and the battery is charged via inductive coupling when the coils are close.

I'd be surprised if two weeks worth of non-use would be much of an issue for the key fob batteries. However, a battery's effective capacity weakens as it's ambient temperature drops. Cold temperature and an old / weak battery is not a good combination.

Another local transmitter could be interfering with your car's remote system.

But, having both key fobs "go bad" at the same time isn't a good sign...

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer
Definitely not another local transmitter it is like this everywhere.

having both key fobs "go bad" at the same time isn't a good sign...
That is also what is really confusing me...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530i

Originally Posted by Cream Sauce
lol... BMW dealer in London.

How can there be a loose connection if everything worked perfectly till I handed them my car... something on my mind at the moment is that could the battery possibly be weak in the car (the actual battery of the car), you mentioned checking the battery voltage through the cluster could you explain this further please ? (
There is a hidden cluster menu that you can access, but it's kind of hard to get into.

I've attached the PDF created by Scoopz over at m5board, which has a detailed step by step set of instructions on getting into the menu. Once you get in, you'll have to be under 09.00 to read your voltage.

Also, the odometer reset button is that small button ON the cluster itself. Not that you wouldn't know what it was, but I was having trouble finding it because I've never pushed it before

E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Members

There is a hidden cluster menu that you can access, but it's kind of hard to get into.

I've attached the PDF created by Scoopz over at m5board, which has a detailed step by step set of instructions on getting into the menu. Once you get in, you'll have to be under 09.00 to read your voltage.

Also, the odometer reset button is that small button ON the cluster itself. Not that you wouldn't know what it was, but I was having trouble finding it because I've never pushed it before

Attachment 128273
Alright I will do this first thing tomorrow, once we get this out of the way we can experiment more options... Thanks a lot for your input and everyone's so far!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by Cream Sauce
Hello everyone,

First of all I tried searching and could not find anything on this topic.

My 2006 E60 BMW was in for body work repair for about 2 weeks, and after recieving my vehicle the key fob would only work when I am very close to the vehicle about 2 feet before the key used to work perfectly. I guess as the car was not driven during the 2 weeks could it be the battery on the key drained ? also a side note is that I have 2 keys and both have this issue I only handed one to the BMW repair shop.

What I am wondering is what do I have to do? can I change the battery on the key fob or is a new key fob required.

I do not have comfort access

Thanks a lot in advance !
I had the exact same problem, took it to the dealer and they could not find anything. They told me it was because my windows were tinted (they have been tinted since day one). I ordered a new key and problem was fixed. The internal battery in the key just goes bad.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I had the exact same problem, took it to the dealer and they could not find anything. They told me it was because my windows were tinted (they have been tinted since day one). I ordered a new key and problem was fixed. The internal battery in the key just goes bad.
My windows are not tinted but I don't see that making a huge problem even if it was for your case.

The only reason I am left with question marks is having both keys battery go bad at the same time after receiving my car... bit strange don't you think ?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Members

Attachment 128273
I done this today, the guide explains very well what you have to do.

With the engine off but the key in ignition stage 2 I got these readings for voltage. It fluctuated from 11.8 to 11.6 , if I opened the radio or the heated seats it went down to 11.5 and 11.4 respectively.

When I turned the engine on the voltage went up to 14.6 and again fluctuated between 14.5 and 14.7 , if I opened the radio or heated seats it went down to 14.4

After driving for 2/3 minutes, and turning the engine off I got the voltage of 12.6

Hopefully this information can come to some conclusions if not we shall have to try other options...

Thank you to every one's contributions so far.

Quick Reply: Battery low on Key fob ?