E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Is there ia TSB for battery drain? I seem to remember that its caused by a Soft Ware glitch. Am I right? cheers
vern
Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Members

Hey,
Well the message of a high battery drain it is DEFF a software issue
Never had a problem starting itr right?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Members

I once had a battery heavy drain info shown on idrive screen, the dealer changed the negative polar for me, issue resolved.
so it all depends. maybe software problem, maybe hardware.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i Silver Gray Metallic, auto, winter package, premium package, black leather.

Originally Posted by vern' post='358946' date='Nov 21 2006, 04:09 PM
Is there ia TSB for battery drain? I seem to remember that its caused by a Soft Ware glitch. Am I right? cheers
vern
I have a 06 530i and had a "High Batter Drain". I took it back to the dealer and it was fixed. I am not sure if they reprogrammed the computer or put in a part but they fixed it. It is not an uncommon problem.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

my car had this, and the delear found that it was a light in the trunk which wasnt going out when I shut it, so could be anything...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Indeed could be anything, including something real. I had it after it was at the dealer for an oil change and state inspection, until I drove for an hour on the highway - they either listened to the radio or did something else while they were working on the car that drained the battery.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There is this one:

SI B 61 06 05
General Electrical Systems September 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 06 05 dated August 2005.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. Reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.01 or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Coding and Individualization), Procedure B.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

or this one

SI B 61 12 05
General Electrical Systems November 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery Caused By MPM

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005

CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Energy diagnosis identifies the MPM as the "sleep mode preventer".

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

or this one

SI B 61 13 05
General Electrical Systems December 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 202 05 dated March 22, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery - Perform Energy Diagnosis

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series), E65/E66 (7 Series) from 3/2004, E90/E91 (3 Series)

SITUATION
The car will not start, the battery is dead and no obvious cause could be detected.

CAUSE
Possible causes are:

Vehicle fault:

Battery fault/alternator fault

Vehicle is not entering sleep mode

Vehicle is constantly woken out of sleep mode

Closed-circuit current is too high

Operating fault:

Lights/hazard warning lamps left on for too long

Terminal R/15 left on for too long

Unfavorable driving profile (e.g. extremely short distances)

Vehicle parked for too long

PROCEDURE
If there is no obvious cause for the dead battery, Energy Diagnostics must be carried out using GT1/DISplus after the battery has been recharged or replaced. This is most important:

To ensure that the customer does not suffer a repeat battery problem

So that FASTA data can be used by BMW engineers to further improve the product.

After suffering a dead battery, "Energy Diagnosis" will automatically show up in the "Diagnostic Test Plan" after the completion of a "Short Test"

Note: The vehicle must have had a dead battery before Energy Diagnosis can be performed. Also, fault codes must not be deleted.

In the unusual case where Energy Diagnosis is not shown automatically, the test module can be accessed via the following path: Function selection / Complete Vehicle / Body / Power supply / Energy Diagnosis.

The objective of Energy Diagnosis is to determine the most likely cause of the battery discharge. After completion of Energy Diagnosis, carry out additional troubleshooting/repairs as recommended by the test module.

A functional description of Energy Diagnosis and terminal control, together with troubleshooting information, can be found in the Energy Diagnosis test module.

Additional troubleshooting tips can be found in SI B61 08 00 Closed Circuit Current Measurement.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

My car is MY 2007 March production and sometimes has this message, maybe a software trouble ...
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG
Model Year: 2006

My 5301 is now about 18k miles. I have "High Battery" drain message since 5k miles. I have been back and forth at Dallas BMW dealer asking to fix the same problem.
Last week I took th car back after almost 1 month of troubleshooting and replacing the main computer module. Just the next day I have the same problem. I returned the car again this Monday with the same service station.
Is there any one with any ideas!. I am not sure what BMW is going to do I am very upset about this.

Regards; /HM