E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1047705' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:47 AM
I use the adaptor so I do not have to worry about the fuse in the DMM. Either way, an acceptable draw would be around 40 milli amps.

Is your car able to go to sleep? It should sleep after about 16-26 minutes with all triggers closed and no activity.

How do I know the car went to sleep?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 535D LCI

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1047710' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:58 AM
How do I know the car went to sleep?
If you have auto gearbox, the light that indicates the gear stays on until the car goes into sleep mode.
I had similar problems with my battery dying overnight and the problem seemed to be the Micro Power Module
(MPM) which was replaced a couple of months ago. That?s the module that controls the sleep mode.
That battery hasn?t died since.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LStone' post='1047724' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:25 AM
If you have auto gearbox, the light that indicates the gear stays on until the car goes into sleep mode.
I had similar problems with my battery dying overnight and the problem seemed to be the Micro Power Module
(MPM) which was replaced a couple of months ago. That?s the module that controls the sleep mode.
That battery hasn?t died since.
Hope this helps.

Hmmm Yes automatic. I asked my wife, it's her car if the gear indicator is always on. She did not know. I think it stays on. I'll go hook up the battery now then check it in a haly hour to see if the car went to sleep.

Thanks. Be in touch.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1047539' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:37 AM
The battery on my 545 is dead overnight. It is driven more then enough everyday to keep the battery charged. I even charged the battery and reinstalled it same thing battery dead next morning. What should normal amperage be for this car when it is sleeping? When I first read the amperage it is around 5 amps. All the trunk lights and interior lights are off. Then after a couple hours it drops to 3. I checked voltage across all the fuses in the trunk and glovebox. No voltage drops found. I then pulled each fuse looking for a drop in the ammeter reading. I found when pulling the ignition fuses in the glove box number ignition fuse 7 and 15 and the radio fuse 34 the ammeter drops to .84-1.4 amps. All three fuses need to be pulled to get the amps to drop. I left the fuses out and reconnected the battery to see if the voltage drops overnight again.

This morning the battery was dead. There where a couple other fuse that when pulled resulted in a very slight amp draw change.

Anyone know where to go next? Anywhere I can get wiring prints and manuals for the car?

Thanks.

Craig
It could be a sticky control switch, possibly the heated rear screen.

Cetainly something big that is drawing lots of current. The switch will look like it is off (ie; the ligth will go out etc) but it will be stuck on.

Some GM cars are famous for this sticky switch problem. Very difficult to diagnose / fix unless you are familiar with the problem, because all the switches look like they are off until you test every one of them individually by pulling it and getting a meter on it.

Also, caused by spillages of water, stickly drinks etc over switches, which again causes them to stick. Has anything been spilled over your window switiches for example ?

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1047539' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:37 PM
The battery on my 545 is dead overnight. It is driven more then enough everyday to keep the battery charged. I even charged the battery and reinstalled it same thing battery dead next morning. What should normal amperage be for this car when it is sleeping? When I first read the amperage it is around 5 amps. All the trunk lights and interior lights are off. Then after a couple hours it drops to 3. I checked voltage across all the fuses in the trunk and glovebox. No voltage drops found. I then pulled each fuse looking for a drop in the ammeter reading. I found when pulling the ignition fuses in the glove box number ignition fuse 7 and 15 and the radio fuse 34 the ammeter drops to .84-1.4 amps. All three fuses need to be pulled to get the amps to drop. I left the fuses out and reconnected the battery to see if the voltage drops overnight again.

This morning the battery was dead. There where a couple other fuse that when pulled resulted in a very slight amp draw change.

Anyone know where to go next? Anywhere I can get wiring prints and manuals for the car?

Thanks.

Craig
Do you take your key out at night and away from the car?

If you have comfort access, that can sometimes cause "Sleep Problems".
Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by higher' post='1047818' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:17 AM
It could be a sticky control switch, possibly the heated rear screen.

Cetainly something big that is drawing lots of current. The switch will look like it is off (ie; the ligth will go out etc) but it will be stuck on.

Some GM cars are famous for this sticky switch problem. Very difficult to diagnose / fix unless you are familiar with the problem, because all the switches look like they are off until you test every one of them individually by pulling it and getting a meter on it.

Also, caused by spillages of water, stickly drinks etc over switches, which again causes them to stick. Has anything been spilled over your window switiches for example ?

Hope this helps.
Nothing been spilled and all the switches seem to be working. I have a feeling the cars is not sleeping. If I remember while t/s I saw the gear ind lit. Another reply said if the gear ind light's on the car is awake. I'm checking that next. I'll keep the switches in mind. Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

So far we have seen four copies of the original post. Somehow they are all alike.

sixcard
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1047829' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:46 AM
So far we have seen four copies of the original post. Somehow they are all alike.

sixcard
??? Hmm. I posted in the DIY section first. Then since I didn't get any responses the first day I posted in the E60 section last night. Since I'm a newbie I may have double posted in each section? I've got no idea how 4 posts showed up. There should be one in the E60 discussion and one in DIY. Sorry
Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

My reference was to copies of your original post made on other members' replies to your original post. They are rendundant. And they are annoying, at least, to me.

skibarefoot, I recognize, and welcome, your newness to the Forum and my comment was not directed to you.

sixcard

EDIT: Later, I notice that all of those replies are by relatively, new members.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1047923' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:49 AM
My reference was to copies of your original post made on other members' replys to your original post. They are rendundant. And they are annoying, at least, to me.

skibarefoot, I recognize, and welcome, your newness to the Forum and my comment was not directed to you.

sixcard
Personally I find it helpful for the original post to be included, or at least whatever you are replying to.

I really hate when someone posts some great information, but many of the prior posts have scrolled off, now that info is or may be useless.

Craig

Quick Reply: Battery dies overnight