E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery check

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have been getting the active steering failed to initiate msg a little too often (523i, 2008, E60). By reading the various msgs I understand that the battery may have to be changed and the active steering fluid may have to be topped up. Is there a way to check the battery condition using the iDrive or any system related msg.

I do not know where exactly is the battery located, but understand it is in the boot. Does any one know how to access it. I will be grateful for any help. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

http://bit.ly/NxQuO7

Its located in the right bottom of the car in the trunk. There are two rotatable plastic screws that you will need to remove first, then the panel will come out (you might have to lift up the carpet).

There is a hidden iDrive menu that I think shows the voltage. Eitherways if its a 2008 car, just replace the battery - you will need to get it replaced sooner or later.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Use hidden OBC menu item #9 to view the battery state with the engine off and charging state with the engine on. This will give you an indication of their health. The instructions are a bit cumbersome, but worth the effort. Or, you could pull your battery and take to a shop and have them put it on a tester.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf (859.6 KB, 205 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Contributors

The electrical / battery / charging systems and related parts on these BMWs is very complex.

Lots and lots of posts - I recommend your read and digest the facts and opinions before venturing into DIY territory!!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by sahiljain22

Its located in the right bottom of the car in the trunk. There are two rotatable plastic screws that you will need to remove first, then the panel will come out (you might have to lift up the carpet).

Right side of trunk: The plastic screws only have to be turned 90 degrees ONCE and when they feel loose pull them straight out. They go back in in reverse.
The side trunk liner then pulls down and toward the inside of the trunk from the top. There are no tabs other than along the very bottom along the bottom carpet. Otherwise you just wrestle the thing out.
The second time will be easier. The battery is directly behind the right rear tire below the floor line.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sahiljain22

There is a hidden iDrive menu that I think shows the voltage. Eitherways if its a 2008 car, just replace the battery - you will need to get it replaced sooner or later.
Many thanks for this very useful link and the suggestion to replace the battaery. In Australia, Sydney, I am quoted nearly $550 to replace by BMW. Whereas, I can buy a Varta brand (which I believe is the same which BMW sells with their label!)for $350. Another brand is avalable for $200. So, I am a bit confused re: the choise. Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Members

Many thanks for this very useful link and the suggestion to replace the battaery. In Australia, Sydney, I am quoted nearly $550 to replace by BMW. Whereas, I can buy a Varta brand (which I believe is the same which BMW sells with their label!)for $350. Another brand is avalable for $200. So, I am a bit confused re: the choise. Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Use hidden OBC menu item #9 to view the battery state with the engine off and charging state with the engine on. This will give you an indication of their health. The instructions are a bit cumbersome, but worth the effort. Or, you could pull your battery and take to a shop and have them put it on a tester.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Members

Many thanks for this useful reply. I will check this out.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

The attachment is a shot of my 08 535i EXIDE replacement battery(exact match to original). The trunk floor is at the top of the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Battery check-battery-replacement-2011.jpg  

Quick Reply: Battery check