E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BATTERY/ACTIVE STEERING

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='790409' date='Feb 12 2009, 01:29 AM
Well, I tried resetting the active steering according to the manual, but it wouldn't work.
I took it to the dealer today to have them check it out.

He is telling me that everything is OK with the active steering. No low voltage fault code from the battery. No leaks.
All the car needs is an alignment. And he says it is $400 to do the job.

Has anybody here heard of alignment issues that can cause the active steering malfunction?
And $400 for an alignment job seems outragous. I would appreciate any input as to whether anybody here had to
pay that much for an alignment.

Thanks for all the help
yes i think it should be free charge for the problem, because the vehicle have not any mechanic problem even elelctronic module, just use tester to reset for customer.

if not free, you can complaint the issue for BMW customer care center.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='785974' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:16 PM
I had the active steering malfunction warning come on this morning for the first time ever.
My steering feels the same. It is not any harder to steer and I still have the active steering function.
But my steering wheel is off center, and the turn indicators don't reset.
I parked the car, and will let it sit for a couple of hours to see if the problem is still there when I get back in it.

The bad part for me is, that my 4 years of free service and warranty just expired last month.

I hope it is just a low battery or something, and not anything more expensive.
Do you still get active steering malfunction warnings or did it come and go? Does the car track in a straight line even if the wheel is off center?

If so, it sounds to me like you need to have the dealer do an AS reset which is a very simple process where they hook the car up to a computer and perform a five minute (or so) reset. A search of the forums will give you more info about this...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='790446' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:15 AM
Do you still get active steering malfunction warnings or did it come and go? Does the car track in a straight line even if the wheel is off center?

If so, it sounds to me like you need to have the dealer do an AS reset which is a very simple process where they hook the car up to a computer and perform a five minute (or so) reset. A search of the forums will give you more info about this...

The malfunction never went away. It stayed on the whole time.
The car tracks straight - I have not noticed anything weird.
The steering wheel is off center, but from what I know that is "normal" under this circumstance.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785303' date='Feb 5 2009, 02:48 AM
Well in case anyone experiences the same problem (stiff steering/AS malfunction) after battery change. All you have to do is drive the car. As I drove down the street from my house, the steering returned to normal. What do you know, I posted, I got several replies from myself and was able to fix the problem on my own. This a great forum.
Hahahahaaa!
I'm laughing my ass off!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='790409' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:29 AM
Well, I tried resetting the active steering according to the manual, but it wouldn't work.
I took it to the dealer today to have them check it out.

He is telling me that everything is OK with the active steering. No low voltage fault code from the battery. No leaks.
All the car needs is an alignment. And he says it is $400 to do the job.

Has anybody here heard of alignment issues that can cause the active steering malfunction?
And $400 for an alignment job seems outragous. I would appreciate any input as to whether anybody here had to
pay that much for an alignment.

Thanks for all the help

Got a call this evening from the dealer, and they need to keep the car for another day. They are having problems and can't get the alignment within spec.

Somehow I am still questioning whether a wheel alignment can fix the active steering malfunction warning that I got.
Has anybody had that done?
Did it work?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Contributors

Let us know the out come
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='790791' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:57 PM
Got a call this evening from the dealer, and they need to keep the car for another day. They are having problems and can't get the alignment within spec.

Somehow I am still questioning whether a wheel alignment can fix the active steering malfunction warning that I got.
Did it work?
I still think the alignment was never needed...

All they should've done (or at least tried first) is the Active Steering reset procedure (not the one where you simply turn the wheel all the way from one side to the other...)
Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='790791' date='Feb 11 2009, 04:57 PM

Did it work?

Picked up the car today.
The active steering malfunction warning is gone. Everything seems normal. Let'see if it stays that way.

I had to shell out $428 which is too much in my opinion for an alignment job.
I asked to talk to a Service Mgr.
Unfortunately it was too late in the evening and he had gone home already.
I got his number it will call him tomorrow.

One weird thing I noticed, and I don't think it was that way before.
On my nav-screen, everything is now reduced to just the left part of the screen.
When you are in entertainment, or climate, the information is reduced to the left part. And the assistant window on the right
is blank. Even when I select to turn off the assistant window it doesn't change.

I could swear that my entertainment (radio, CD) screen used to go across the whole screen.

Strange....
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='791831' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:25 PM
One weird thing I noticed, and I don't think it was that way before.
On my nav-screen, everything is now reduced to just the left part of the screen.
When you are in entertainment, or climate, the information is reduced to the left part. And the assistant window on the right
is blank. Even when I select to turn off the assistant window it doesn't change.

I could swear that my entertainment (radio, CD) screen used to go across the whole screen.

Strange....
The only screen that uses the entire width is the main menu. The assist window should come back on if you select something to view (like current location, a map, etc.)
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2007

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785207' date='Feb 4 2009, 07:07 PM
Just changed the battery with a Duralast (oem replacement), now the active steering won't initialize. The steering is a bit stiff also. Called my service advisor and he suggested the battery reset from the "stealer" ($169.00). Any suggestions?

go to a large parking lot twist your steering to the right or left ... turn traction off and hit the gass.. do a couple of donuts it will get back to its place.