E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BATTERY/ACTIVE STEERING

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Just changed the battery with a Duralast (oem replacement), now the active steering won't initialize. The steering is a bit stiff also. Called my service advisor and he suggested the battery reset from the "stealer" ($169.00). Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785207' date='Feb 4 2009, 06:07 PM
Just changed the battery with a Duralast (oem replacement), now the active steering won't initialize. The steering is a bit stiff also. Called my service advisor and he suggested the battery reset from the "stealer" ($169.00). Any suggestions?
WOW, no one wants to help a brother out?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785207' date='Feb 4 2009, 06:07 PM
Whenever I had an Active Steering malfunction, the steering would still be soft, but off center. Easy reset. This time, the steering is stiff (unassisted). Did anyone reset the Active Steering successfully when steering malfuction occurred and steering was stiff?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785284' date='Feb 4 2009, 07:30 PM
Whenever I had an Active Steering malfunction, the steering would still be soft, but off center. Easy reset. This time, the steering is stiff (unassisted). Did anyone reset the Active Steering successfully when steering malfuction occurred and steering was stiff?
Well in case anyone experiences the same problem (stiff steering/AS malfunction) after battery change. All you have to do is drive the car. As I drove down the street from my house, the steering returned to normal. What do you know, I posted, I got several replies from myself and was able to fix the problem on my own. This a great forum.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785303' date='Feb 4 2009, 07:48 PM
Well in case anyone experiences the same problem (stiff steering/AS malfunction) after battery change. All you have to do is drive the car. As I drove down the street from my house, the steering returned to normal. What do you know, I posted, I got several replies from myself and was able to fix the problem on my own. This a great forum.
Yes, that is the correct answer -- good work!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='785284' date='Feb 4 2009, 04:30 PM
I had the active steering malfunction warning come on this morning for the first time ever.
My steering feels the same. It is not any harder to steer and I still have the active steering function.
But my steering wheel is off center, and the turn indicators don't reset.
I parked the car, and will let it sit for a couple of hours to see if the problem is still there when I get back in it.

The bad part for me is, that my 4 years of free service and warranty just expired last month.

I hope it is just a low battery or something, and not anything more expensive.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='785974' date='Feb 5 2009, 02:16 PM
I had the active steering malfunction warning come on this morning for the first time ever.
My steering feels the same. It is not any harder to steer and I still have the active steering function.
I parked the car, and will let it sit for a couple of hours to see if the problem is still there when I get back in it.

The bad part for me is, that my 4 years of free service and warranty just expired last month.

Do a search on the forum for active steering reset. Off the top of my head, I believe you turn the ignition on, but not the car, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way back to the right then back to center.....turn off ignition, then turn back on. After that, it should reset.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=battery
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mag75' post='786006' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:44 PM
Do a search on the forum for active steering reset. Off the top of my head, I believe you turn the ignition on, but not the car, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way back to the right then back to center.....turn off ignition, then turn back on. After that, it should reset.

That is correct.

I believe its also in the manual.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='786006' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:44 PM

You actually need the car on. You must turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then back to neutral (middle). You then turn the car off, then on again. The Active Steering should be initialized again.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='785974' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:16 AM

Well, I tried resetting the active steering according to the manual, but it wouldn't work.
I took it to the dealer today to have them check it out.

He is telling me that everything is OK with the active steering. No low voltage fault code from the battery. No leaks.
All the car needs is an alignment. And he says it is $400 to do the job.

Has anybody here heard of alignment issues that can cause the active steering malfunction?
And $400 for an alignment job seems outragous. I would appreciate any input as to whether anybody here had to
pay that much for an alignment.

Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: BATTERY/ACTIVE STEERING