E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

So I've read all threads regarding battery replacement and had my heart set to purchase a Duralast Gold 95R/DLG as recommended from others. I called 2 Indy shops today and both said not to purchase Autozone batteries. One said OEM is the only way to as issues can arise later and the other said AGM only. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What battery is in the car now? Is it AGM or not? BMW does not make batteries. They are all made by only a handful of companies. I recently replaced my 530xi non-AGM with this one:
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA 95R/H9: Get best Battery at Advance Auto Parts

It actually says "Made in Germany" on it.

I also recently replaced my wife X5 battery which was an AGM battery with this one:
AutoCraft Gold AGM Battery, Group Size H8, 850 CCA H8-AGM: Buy the right Battery at Advance Auto Parts
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 07 550i

Originally Posted by ccmiguel
So I've read all threads regarding battery replacement and had my heart set to purchase a Duralast Gold 95R/DLG as recommended from others. I called 2 Indy shops today and both said not to purchase Autozone batteries. One said OEM is the only way to as issues can arise later and the other said AGM only. Thoughts?
The autozone is fine and used by many. If your oem battery is black, it's AGM. If white, it's your standard FLA (flooded lead acid).

If you have a FLA battery and switch to an AGM, the car will need reprogrammed.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by ccmiguel
The white FLA batteries came standard with BMWs until a few years ago. Now they're coming through AGM. You haven't filled out your profile or indicated what year, make and model you have, but from your choice of the Duralast Gold 95R/DLG, I'm guessing you're replacing an AGM battery. As others have said, the AutoZone and Advanced Auto batteries are just fine. Just make sure you match the CCA and Au stated on your old battery. Unless you get the exact replacement (spec-wise, not brand), you'll have to register it, which only runs about $50 from an indy.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

According to BMW, you are always supposed to register the battery.

According to BMW, you must recode part of the car if you change the battery type or spec. That is, you need to tell the car what Ah the battery is and is it AGM or not. If that changes, you need to do more than register.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 07 550i

Originally Posted by jayarras
The white FLA batteries came standard with BMWs until a few years ago. Now they're coming through AGM. You haven't filled out your profile or indicated what year, make and model you have, but from your choice of the Duralast Gold 95R/DLG, I'm guessing you're replacing an AGM battery. As others have said, the AutoZone and Advanced Auto batteries are just fine. Just make sure you match the CCA and Au stated on your old battery. Unless you get the exact replacement (spec-wise, not brand), you'll have to register it, which only runs about $50 from an indy.
Dura last Gold 95R is an FLA battery, not AGM. I believe the H8 is the AGM model.

Last edited by FaintReality; 02-17-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FaintReality
Dura last Gold 95R is an FLA battery, not AGM. I believe the H8 is the AGM model.
You're right. My bad. Autozone's FLA battery is black while Advance Auto's version is white. I just looked at the picture, not the specs.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
New Members

Just an update...I purchased the Duralast Gold 95R/DLG and dropped it in without registering. But took a trip down to LA from Sacramento this weekend. During the trip I got brake wear indicator and window anti trap alerts. I was able to reset the window anti trap message and I thought my brakes were ok for some time but maybe they are due to be changed. I hope these are not in anyway associated with the new battery as one of the Indy shops stated a non OEM battery can cause some issues.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Your indy could be right. I was getting all kinds of screwy non-related error messages when my battery started to go. They went away once the new battery was installed.

Unless your new Duralast is an EXACT REPLACEMENT (spec-wise) of your old battery, not registering it is only courting trouble.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i sport pkg 6MT

H8 is a size. The old battery council name for that size was Group 49.

I have no idea why the naming changed. H6, H7, H8 are the batteries found in most Euro cars. They have the post set a bit below the top surface of battery and have the provisions for terminal covers. They also use the DIN standard anchoring flanges at bottom of battery case.

BMW and lots of others now use "smart" charging and try to set the charging based on use, type, capacity, and age of battery. The current monitor (BMW speak: IBS) on the cable end is the best way they can defeat some of the key off features if the battery drain as measured by the shunt says the safe current draw level is reached.
I personally dislike all the radio plays on and lights stay on stuff. starting the car and then immediately charging the battery with the alternator is just a pat on the butt (mild kick if diesel with glow plugs). Running a bunch of stuff after engine is shut down and not charging for hours later is more like a mild concussion. (suggestion: turn down the light delay time or turn it off. Hit the stop button the second time if you're not going to hang around the car and listen to radio)

Anti-trap window alerts can result from battery disconnect.
Brake wear may be unrelated as the brake wear computation from past services inputs shouldn't battery related. You may just have reached the milage where the service counter system computes brake inspection is needed.

Quick Reply: Battery