E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic climate control 2004 model - rear vent question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a December 2004 E61, which has the basic climate control system (iDrive only lets you set the front centre vent to 3 different heat settings, etc). The rear centre vents just have a rotary knob to turn them on and off, there is no blue/red temperature knob.

What we've found is that the rear centre vents only ever blow cold air, apparently independent of the air temperature that's coming out of any of the other vents. E.g., the front centre vents can be set to warm, and be blowing warm air, and the rear vents will be blowing cold air.

The manual doesn't make it clear how it's supposed to work. Some googling suggests this is a design feature on some BMW aircon systems, and the centre vents are intended only to supply fresh air. But i can't find any definitive info. Tried searching these forums too...

So does anyone have the BASIC climate control, and can get warm air coming from the rear centre vents ?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tw99' post='779338' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:27 PM
We've got a December 2004 E61, which has the basic climate control system (iDrive only lets you set the front centre vent to 3 different heat settings, etc). The rear centre vents just have a rotary knob to turn them on and off, there is no blue/red temperature knob.

What we've found is that the rear centre vents only ever blow cold air, apparently independent of the air temperature that's coming out of any of the other vents. E.g., the front centre vents can be set to warm, and be blowing warm air, and the rear vents will be blowing cold air.

The manual doesn't make it clear how it's supposed to work. Some googling suggests this is a design feature on some BMW aircon systems, and the centre vents are intended only to supply fresh air. But i can't find any definitive info. Tried searching these forums too...

So does anyone have the BASIC climate control, and can get warm air coming from the rear centre vents ?

I had two E60 525iA:s with the basic auto AC.

The rear seat vents gives out the "same air" as the front side ones
and they should work in the same way - same heated- or cold air.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Members

Check the settings on the I-drive,make sure the person symbol is red. Mine was doing the same at first,I thought there was a hot and cold setting, maybe not.Also try hitting the auto setting and c if that works. After I did that it started blowing hot.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by JAY'545' post='779380' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:31 PM
Check the settings on the I-drive,make sure the person symbol is red. Mine was doing the same at first,I thought there was a hot and cold setting, maybe not.Also try hitting the auto setting and c if that works. After I did that it started blowing hot.
I think this problem is caused by the distance from the heat source to the rear vent and the cooling effect the cold ducting has on the hot air travelling through it. To resolve the prolem I've found that clsoing all vents except rears and leaving heat/power on max warms up the ducting and eventually hot air will be expelled from rear vent. This is one of the few faults I can find with my car and not what you would expect from a 60k vehicle.