E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic A/C action - we should do SOMEthing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say, BMW should be ashamed for this belittling act!! Not only have they openly misled their faithfull followers .... which we all are, otherwise we would'nt be spending time on this board, but they take it to another level by ignoring our complaints. I know BMW have people that scour the web and such boards to get a feel of the market & user impressions. To reciprocate for such a followership I expect them to at least issue an upgrade under warranty if not a recall.

BMW if you guys are listening, you must understand that you are not in the mass market!! You have created an Icon ... and a good one at that. People that buy BMWs do not buy them for just motoring around from point A to B. Otherwise I would have lesser cars in my stable. We buy them for more superior reasons. The worst you can do is to piss people like us off ... cause loosing one of us is like loosing 100 customers.

Just my contribution. And I'll be ready to put my signature on any document to make BMW understand this.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Members

Smile

I have already written to BMW GB on this subject (along with my thoughts on a non-functioing TMC system on the sat-nav business version).

After 4 weeks not even an acknowledgment of my letter!

Wrote again last week and still waiting for a reply.

SO MUCH FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - LAST BMW I BUY!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:53 PM

After all of this, and the other postings, I don't think I will buy one of these. I'm waiting to look at the new AWD GS and the new AWD RL (with 300hp.) I loved the drive but for crying out loud....
Old 05-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='May 30 2004, 08:53 PM
After all of this, and the other postings, I don't think I will buy one of these. I'm waiting to look at the new AWD GS and the new AWD RL (with 300hp.) I loved the drive but for crying out loud....
Why?? You're in the US. This issue will not affect you. Get some perspective and do your research.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='May 30 2004, 01:05 PM
So, basically, I cannot begin to understand your question.
I'm sorry if you can't, I personally begin to understand this mess a little bit better now. BMW may have been missleading people by expanding the meaning of "Auto A/C" out of it's established meaning. They should have used "semi-auto" or something like it in order to highlight the difference.

Back to my original question: I still find it difficult to accuse BMW for lies; If you read the text in the enclosed brochure clip carefully, it's quite clear that Basic Auto A/C isn't so auto after all. And the text is quite alike in all other brochures I've managed to get (in english, swedish, german and finnish).

Wish you all all the best with your complains tho!

Kari
Attached Thumbnails Basic A/C action - we should do SOMEthing...-a_c.jpg  
Old 06-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Taken in context, and with hindsight, I'm not so sure the text is misleading, the advanced A/C clearly states automatic volume of air control (ie fan speed for lay people) basic a/c doesnt.

On the other hand, Auto aircon in the UK has always meant auto fan control as well

However, to distinguish between them, other manufacturers will call it either Air Conditioning (BMW Basic) or Auto Climate Control (BMW Advanced)

As the brochure says "check specifications/equipment with dealer, I think the Mistake and all responsibility has to rest with the dealers salesman........proving negligence or deliberate misleading would be pretty impossible.

I Know I have Advanced A/C but it feels the same as not getting voice control I paid for!....at least it may be software updateable but that remains to be seen.

just my ?0.02 worth
Old 06-02-2004, 10:17 AM
stu
Members

I've been away for a few days - and return to find Skidster has started this thread.
I feel 100% the same way you guys do (skidster browellm + others) - it's a really annoying thing to have to fiddle with the fan speed on a continual basis.

I've done almost 4000 miles and love the car, but this fan issue and the dreadful basic audio ( how do you get a traffic broadcast "dropped" or turned off when you find it's not relevant to your location and wish to return to the channel you were happily listening.?) I guess that's for another thread...

A typical journey starts with the fan speed high ( to cool or warm the car) - as the temp approaches that which is desired you then have to continually back off the fan till you can get an equilibrium. Any sunlight or change of conditions means you have to start all over again! I have not experienced this fault with other manufacturers.

If BMW would take my car back and allow me to pay the extra for advanced ( bloody essential ) air con I'd be happy- but that's unlikely isn't it>?

DD said "proving negligence or deliberate misleading would be pretty impossible"

Well I'm pretty "handy" at issuing small court claims if I feel I've been crossed or wronged in a significant way.
I feel that it may be time to try a county court claim. I really doubt BMW will defend it ... and I might get some financial compensation for this irritating and significant misrepresentation.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

to lose the TP, hit mute and then unmute -- you'll be back where you were before the traffic report

as for the other, well the word AUTOMATIC means AUTOMATIC

and if they had expanded the meaning rather than contracted it then we would be fine,
Old 06-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Members

To be honest most of the BMW sales people are probably as shocked and disapointed as us users. The salesman I dealt with also happens to be a friend that I've known long before he worked for BMW.

He was as surprised as I was and I get the impression from the service people they are disappointed to, at least at my dealer.

The fact that BMW have done this will probably piss off dealers as much as anyone as they will get the hassle. In addition I'm sure we could find a brochure for an E39 or E46 claiming auto climate control which works the fan.

Also ask why all of a sudden the fan is working from the factory on new builds, clearly BMW have a lot of complaints coming in and have quicky fixed it. In manufacturing the cost to change something at the factory is tiny compared to doing it in the field and that's why they don't want to fix ours.

Also I have to wonder about their mentality, I know have a fancy idrive function which must cost loads more than the old E39 rotary dial to change the centre vent temperature. They are so keen to enfore idrive on us they have had to remove basic functions to acheive the cost if you ask me.

Automatic = something that does it all for you automatically.

Semi Automatic = something that helps you but you got to do stuff yourself too.

I have semi Automatic climate control, I was promised automatic.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Members

Oh yeah, my wife's car is a 12k 206 with air con. It's easier to set the temp in that than my 40k BMW and you wonder why we're pissed.