E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bar and grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all - I was out last night and admired someone else's 2005 530d - however I noticed a slight difference between their car and mine.

From the front: If I look at my car behind the kidney grille it has a sort of movable "flap" - This appears to be spring loaded and opens up when the car is moving to feed the radiator with air.

This 530d had no flap, but had two diagonal bars visible behind the grille.

Is there a known difference between different models of e60?

I shall upload pics tomorrow, it's too dark at the moment!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

my 525 d has these flaps
Old 08-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

I have no ideea what are ure talking about!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
MEX
Senior Members

it depends on the models and where you bought it, if i remember correctly they dont have the flaps in the US, because the average speed is not enough to open them... anyway you can do a search on the forum, it has been discused already

what model is your car? can you add it in your signature? it helps us to have some point of reference
Old 08-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MEX' date='Aug 28 2005, 07:43 PM
it depends on the models and where you bought it, if i remember correctly they dont have the flaps in the US, because the average speed is not enough to open them... anyway you can do a search on the forum, it has been discused already

what model is your car? can you add it in your signature? it helps us to have some point of reference
[snapback]164467[/snapback]

OK here we go - in the first pic you can see the black flap is closed. In the second I have forced the flap open with a spoon, so you can see the radiator.

bar and grill-image029.jpgbar and grill-image030.jpg
Old 08-29-2005, 02:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It has to do with the type of engine and the climate/country the car is built for. Colder countries get the flaps with certain engines so warmth is not lost when standing for a traffic light in a cold day..
Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Yep,

This is interesting....

First I assumed that it's "automatically" adjusted by motor temperature... but it's seems quite "dummy" flaps only... ok can't be sure... never seen them open while driving

Here in Finland it's common that cars have some cover in front of the radiator during the winter...

Someone said that it just helps the air to be blown into the radiator freely in high speeds.

I've noticed during this summer that atleast it keeps the radiator very clean from dead insects... lower part of the radiator (open part) is full of dead insects and stuff... so this makes me wonder how fast I have to drive that flaps are fully open...
because in high speed all the insects tends to stuck everywhere in the front of the car.

Anyway, I think these flaps are because of the winter (cold) conditions anyway...
Old 08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiny' date='Aug 28 2005, 01:57 PM
Hey all - I was out last night and admired someone else's 2005 530d - however I noticed a slight difference between their car and mine.

From the front: If I look at my car behind the kidney grille it has a sort of movable "flap" - This appears to be spring loaded and opens up when the car is moving to feed the radiator with air.

This 530d had no flap, but had two diagonal bars visible behind the grille.

Is there a known difference between different models of e60?

I shall upload pics tomorrow, it's too dark at the moment!
[snapback]164388[/snapback]
I think it's a part of cold weather package.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

It can't be apart of the cold weather package.. I've seen alot of cars in Sweden (MY05) without the flaps.. And cold weather package is free in Sweden...

When I wash my car, there are no bugs at all, on the radiator behind the flaps, just as petri said.

I've seen my flaps open, when I started the car, and wanted to cool the cabine down.. outside temp: + 30 C.

I think they those flaps are pretty cool!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by E60Sim' date='Aug 29 2005, 02:00 PM
It can't be apart of the cold weather package.. I've seen alot of cars in Sweden (MY05) without the flaps.. And cold weather package is free in Sweden...

When I wash my car, there are no bugs at all, on the radiator behind the flaps, just as petri said.

I've seen my flaps open, when I started the car, and wanted to cool the cabine down.. outside temp: + 30 C.

I think they those flaps are pretty cool!?
[snapback]164656[/snapback]

Hi,

Yep, cold weather is standard / free stuff in Finland also...
Do you mean that flaps ARE controlled somehow by the temperature... if it is really so then it's COOL feature ... but still I'd like to know it's logic.

Quick Reply: bar and grill