E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bangle Design

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I heard rumors back in 2002 of the new body design. I took a more expensive (per month) 24 month lease on my 2002 E39 just so I could get one of the first E60's. I don't remember if I saw a picture or not back then.
Previously, I also got a 1997 E39 when it first came out.
I think form follows function, instead of function following form.
BMW has always delivered new sporting technology, and thats what the brand is all about.
I think most of the negative "bangle" comments were from non-BMW owners and those that normally would not consider getting a new BMW anyway.
The auto magazine industry are lame brains for dumping on Idrive and SMG, as they both need a little time to appreciate the benefits of.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Alpine White 545. What a charm!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Oct 19 2004, 06:36 PM
I like the Alpine White 545. What a charm!? ?
[snapback]46825[/snapback]
Why, thank you very much!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 545i sport pckg,sirius,active steering,grey on black

I had trouble with the headlights initially because of an almost effete

appearance. In the last two months however, I think I'm finally beginning

to see what Bangle's overall goal is. I would still have preferred a less

curvy headlight design. Also, I wish the center stack was tilted towards

the driver as before. It's still the best handling vehicle in the class,w/o

exception and one of the best rides around,period. And the rest of the

vehicle's shape is just great.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Well personally i think the design is slightly ahead of its time i really did not like the design on paper and even in person from certain angles. However the more i gaze at it the more it is simply a beautiful design. Andi have noticed so many more cars are takeing cues from the design, i just saw a s40 volvo today and talk about flame surfaceing and edna eyes creases down the sides and alot of other cars have been following the true leader of the pack just my two cents worth.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Members

I have grown to find the E60 a beautiful design and agree that it may well have been ahead of its time. The only nagging doubt I have centers on its Pontiac-ish look from the front.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I really like the new Bangle designs. Are they perfect? Maybe not, but they are beautiful. Everything else just looks ordinary and common in comparison. When the Eiffel Tower was built, citizens of Paris at the time wanted it torn down. Today it is a symbol of Paris, which is arguably the most beautiful city in the world.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I currently own a 2003 530 and when I bought it I thought it was a beautiful car, I feel it now looks very dated.

Only 2 years later.

The new MB E-class looked great when it came out two years ago, but you know what? I think it already looks dated.

When the e60 came out I thought what the hell was that. I thought the design so poor I was thinking of getting the new E500 or the new A6. But after looking at all those cars, and then the 545, I know that Bangle was on to something. This being said after I was one of those Bangle-Bashers.

The 545 is a car of the future. It looks great. Every line adds interest. It is a car that looks fast and powerful.

I guarantee this design will be copied. I already see elements of its design in lesser cars like the Mazda 3.

The 5 series was considered the pinnacle of the sports sedan two years ago. Every manufacturer wanted to copy it. Look at recent advertising (6>5, CTS vs. 5 series, etc.). When your on the top everyone wants to bring you down. So now the media puts the car down for minor things (I-drive, headlights, etc). The only good thing to come of this is better deals on BMW's, and that now BMW has to actually worry about the bottom line, after 8 years of spectacular growth and ass-kissing by the BMW. Now they can work on their engines, chassis, etc., to make the cars even better.

In the end, the Bangle years will show us that BMW makes cars for the future, and I think the criticism is actually good for the company and the consumer, because it makes BMW strive to make a better product and provide us with better value.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Contributors

[

If you were to read the stupid letters in the Roundel month after month, you'd think that people stopped buying BMW's when the E30 went out of production. BMW is not in the business of catering to those people who still drive their original 2002tii or whatever ancient BMW they have.

I agree. That's why I wonder if I should continue my membership. It seems even the writers are sway on the anti-E60 side of the equation. Though I enjoy bmw designs present and past, why should I pay annually to a publication that is not supportive of my main interest the E60?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

guys, well said ! both my gf and i fell in love w/the new design when it first showed in a magazine . i told her i have to get this car . before i made my decision, i narrowed down to two cars, clk and e60. i test drove a clk just because at the beginning, i thought it'll be boring to get another 5 but no comparison at all. the e60 is a waaaaay better car . i didn't bother to look or test drive a third car <_<. i'm not a car designer but i really appreciate bangle's design. all the creases/lines are there for a reason. some might think the headlights are a little too aggressive but they are the main reason why i bought this car . i have to admit the interior of the e-class is better than e60 but i already feel it's body style is a little dated . i'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but i've seen most of the e-class drivers are older than the e60 drivers . no offense to the elders but i think they are more conservative and less likely to adapt new stuff around them. i'm not saying i'm a frontier but some people are just slower than the others which is ok and nothing wrong about it. sorry for the long post but i just want to tell you all how much i appreciate bangle's design and hope he'll keep up the "art work" .

Quick Reply: Bangle Design