E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bangle Design

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

I've just been reading a few other forums and been reading peoples' opinions of the E60 design. I tell you one thing. I don't remember any major brand designer who has had so much global publicity from their car designs. I know some may mention Pininfarina but he's an independent design house.

People who don't like the design really stick it to the car. Some people who owned the E39 are now jumping over to MB, just because of the headlights! I don't have an issue with that, but the ferocity of dissappointment is quite staggering.

If I remember correctly, the E36 3 series that everyone sees as classic BMW design was truly slated when it was first introduced. It received even worse criticism than the new E60 because it was meant to inspire a mass market. When I saw it for the first time, I laughed.

Fast forward 2 years later and everyone loved it.

When I first saw an E60 I wondered what BMW were attempting with this one My reason for buying? It's the best in it's class. Period. I'm yet to hear any reviewer drive it, and not place it above MB and Audi and any other comers. The driving experience is still BMW and that's what counts to me. If I'm going to go through a chicane followed by a mini roundabout (fraid only us europe boys have this experience regularly), I'd rather do it in a BMW than any other car.

I'm not saying people are going to love the E60 in the long run, but I've heard it all before.

Can I finally also add that when BMW went from E30 to E36, I thought the interior wasn't of the same quality. I felt they had taken parts from Opel for the dials in the car, but once I drove it all my design objections disappeared.

I think people are beginning to warm to the Bangle design but were too voiciferous in stating how much they disliked it when it first arrived. It's hard to make a U-turn and swallow your words.

As I said, just a rant.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Members

The design is something that attracted me. I don't like the MB design because i think it has aged. The Audi doesn't do anything for me, very bland.

I think E60 design is ahead of the pack and looks great.

My only complaint would be the iDrive system, it isn't nearly as complex enough as I would want. Seriously, how hard could it be to have a full blown web browser included that connected through bluetooth? Or more options for the entertainment (Hard drive for MP3's) or navigation systems (Proper route plotting etc)
Old 10-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Same here. I haven't had a chance to play with the iDrive but that will be taken care of very soon.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I'm with you, Nomad.

It's almost a sociological law: paradigm shifts will always have 3 distinct groups: those who are early adopters, like most of us; those who wait until it's "OK" to follow the shift; and those who will never accept the shift (and are, hence, left behind).

There is also an almost universal truth to paradigm shifts and that is that they are always met with resistance by every one but the early adopters.

If you were to read the stupid letters in the Roundel month after month, you'd think that people stopped buying BMW's when the E30 went out of production. BMW is not in the business of catering to those people who still drive their original 2002tii or whatever ancient BMW they have.

The BMW "traditionalists" didn't like the E36 when it came out; or the E46 when it came out; or the E39 when it came out. It's the same story, different verse with the new models. Right when the "traditionalists" were just catching up to the last paradigm shift, it changes again, and they're on the trailing edge of the wave yet again.

Suffice it to say that I have "drunk the BMW Kool-aid" and like every design that they're coming up with.

FWIW, I saw a new Acura RL yesterday, and it had a pronounced trunk "bustle." Overall, it wasn't anything spectacular; it looked like a glorified Accord with a bit of Acura TL, S-class, and E65 7er thrown in.

-MrB
Old 10-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Members

I fell in love with the design Feb. 2003, had a 323 and I told my wife that I was going to buy that a year from then and I did, and you are correct Kiwi530i, the MB is kind of old and I saw both designs at the same time on the same magazine and I like the aggresive look of the BMW
Old 10-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't like the new design at first and i did buy a MB e500. i hated it and went back to bmw. (should have gotten the 545...i know) but any bmw is better than a mb.

anyway, i think bmw waters down their line-up too much. the m5 body differences make the new 5. the front and rear bumpers on the m5 are way better looking than the standard 5.

although, if bmw had slightly changed the new 5 to make it look more like the previous one, they would be selling many more. the previous 5 is a classic. there are so many people that still love the previous 5, even after what..7 years old in design.

bmw changed core signature design features which i think was a mistake. headlights and interior driver dash orientation.

this goes for the new 7. from what i hear, the new 7 will be refreshed soon...perhaps bmw knows their error.

Originally Posted by SLVR530I' date='Oct 19 2004, 12:12 PM
I fell in love with the design Feb. 2003, had a 323 and I told my wife that I was going to buy that a year from then and I did, and you are correct Kiwi530i, the MB is kind of old and I saw both designs at the same time on the same magazine and I like the aggresive look of the BMW
[snapback]46756[/snapback]
Old 10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

The E60 excells because of its advanced design. BMW needs to be on the edge of development and the newer designs have moved the marque forward to the next generation.

The E39 was, and still is, a beautiful design. But parked next to an E60 it is decidedly out-dated. There are some who just don't want to accept change, but for a car maker, change is life blood.

Among my other cars is a 1967 Mustang. I think its one of the best looking cars ever produced but its clearly an old design. No one would ever think of producing it today. Time marches on. BMW should be applauded for having the courage to know when a new design direction was needed and introducing cars that reflect today's technology.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In BMW line-up, I only like current E46, E39, and E60. I like E60 the most when it was just on the paper. Although the rear end could be better, but it's ok with red reflector. I still like the E39, but life must move on for new technology, so E60 would be the answer.
I really like E320/E500 interior compared to E60 except the odometer. However, I don't like MB rear headlight at all (Japanese look). That made me turn away from MB.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' date='Oct 19 2004, 04:32 PM
The E39 was, and still is, a beautiful design.? But parked next to an E60 it is decidedly out-dated.
[snapback]46781[/snapback]
See for yourself by clicking here and here...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 19 2004, 02:41 PM
[quote name='Wilchwitz' date='Oct 19 2004, 04:32 PM']The E39 was, and still is, a beautiful design.? But parked next to an E60 it is decidedly out-dated.
[snapback]46781[/snapback]
[/quote]
To me the E39 design became dated towards the end of its life, and I'm an old BMW guy with three previous dating to to the 1987 528e (can't even remember the E number). I was ready to buy another 5 series two years ago but decided to wait for the E60 because of its more forward-looking presence compared to the E39. The only constant is change, even if on 7-year boundaries. If you're not moving forward, by definition you're moving backward....

Quick Reply: Bangle Design