E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bad news if you ordered Pro Nav in the UK...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...well two actually

I got a call from my dealer today. Apparently they have had a bulletin from BMW (which he offered to fax me), saying that the extended voice control, that covers the Nav, radio, climate and loads of other stuff will not be available until week 36 build (Sept I believe), AND it is no longer included in the price of the Professional Navigation, as described in the brochure.

Which leaves me high and dry. I have asked for a discount on the Pro Nav. I don't hold out much hope.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

That's terrible!!!

I am now in the process of fighting with my dealer to get mine working in the US.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

This is bad news!

My car is due for the upgrade to Prof. Nav and Voice in the beginning of April.

Does this mean I have to wait until the autumn to get the Voice Activation workin?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Right, I now have the faxes that were sent to the dealers. Check out the date on the first one! Here's a transcript:

----------
Title: 5 series saloon and Touring - Extended Voice Control

Reference: PN-04-5-0018

Published Date: Fri 09 Jan 2004 11:32

Extended Voice Control will no longer be a standard feaure for 609 Navigation-Professional and will need to be added as a separate option if required for all 5 series models.

The option price for 620 Extended Voice Control will also change when released by the Factory for ordering, but as yet the price has not been confirmed.

The current 5 Series Saloonbrochure states that this option is standard with Navigation Professional and will be updated in March to reflect the above change.

We regret to inform you that due to technical issues option code 620 Extended Voice Control has been withdrawn from Week 10, 2004 production

The option will now be dealyed until Week 36, 2004 production.

This option has now been removed from IVS and SA3 [presumably some dealer system] until further notice.

The second one is shorter but gives a little detail on why it's been withdrawn:

----------
Reference: PN-04-5-0256

Date: Wed, 03 March 2004 14:44

Due to software issues the release of option 620 Extended Voice Control System, for 5 Series Saloon and Touring models, has now been delayed until Week 36, 2004.

At present there are software issues with language identification when using the system.

So there you have it. What I don't know yet is if they will retain the pre-wiring (and the voice button next to the i-drive menu button for that matter) so that come September we can get it retrofitted, albeit having to pay, by the sounds of it.

Overall though, as has been proved many times on these boards, the lack of dealer knowledge is shocking. He was not aware of this and it was only when we were double-checking spec prior to production and I mentioned the EVC that he went to check.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Thanks VERY much for this info.

Will bring it to my dealers attention tomorrow!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

I WONDER IF THIS MEAN THAT I WON'T GET MINE FIXED FORA LONG TIME.

THEY ARE VERY VAGUE ABOUT WHEN THE SOFTWARE UPGRADES ARE COMING OUT.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Members

I must have gotten really lucky, My voice commands work for radio and NAV. I haven't tried to use it for climate control yet. It seems easier to just turn the knobs. I will try it and let you all know.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by tdocz' date='Mar 5 2004, 09:54 AM
I WONDER IF THIS MEAN THAT I WON'T GET MINE FIXED FORA LONG TIME.

THEY ARE VERY VAGUE ABOUT WHEN THE SOFTWARE UPGRADES ARE COMING OUT.
It's not a fair assumption that this issue applies to cars built for the US market. As you have read on other boards, there are a number of people in the US who have their voice control working perfectly.

My suspicion is that it's difficult for the voice recognition software for every country to be good enough to "understand" what's being asked of it.

I would submit that someone in the US with a deep southern drawl or a heavy New England accent would have to adjust their intonations to allow the system to recognize what they're saying.

Same thing goes in the UK, but probably worse. Cockney, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, etc. accents are all sufficiently different that the software folks still have to get it working just right.

Just a thought...

-MrB
Old 03-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

OK, this was the letter I sent to the dealer:
-----------
Thank you for sharing the information provided by BMW regarding the withdrawl of voice control as a standard feature with Professional navigation.

I am obviously very dissapointed, and saw it as big factor when deciding to choose the ProNav in the first place.

I understand completely that this has come from BMW and not the dealers, however we as customers do not have the opportunity (nor would I want to necessarily) of dealing with BMW directly, so I must appeal to you as their agent.

You informed me that BMW would not provide an accomodation, even though when I ordered the car I did so in good faith that this would be included in the ?1650 price. As BMW have withdrawn the option, it would not be unreasonable to assume the cost to reduce, but it hasn't.

I might have been able to shrug this off as bad luck, but I have already absorbed a 3% increase on the vehicle cost, just for the privilege of ordering the ProNav, because of the March production date.

Clearly, I am unlikely to take my business elsewhere over this one point, but if ?42000 is not a lot of money for many BMW owners, it is a significant outlay for me. Therefore, I would be grateful if you would take this matter up with the dealer managment to see if a token accomodation could be provided for the inconvenience, in order to get the relationship off on the right foot.

Also, could you clear up with BMW as to whether the pre-wiring for the voice service will remain in the car, so that I could potentially get it when available from September.

Kind regards
---------
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

And spoke to the dealer today.

1. Got my VIN. Wahey!
2. He is going to throw in the floor mats which are ?135 to buy aftermarket
3. Interesting information wether the pre-wiring for voice will remain in the car:

He dug out a bulletin from the 6 series. Those cars will have the same problems (in the UK) for the same reason as the 5. The bulletin goes on to say that come September, cars will be able to come in for a s/w upgrade to activate the feature. I can't see any reason why the 5 should be different, so at least that news takes the edge off.

Quick Reply: Bad news if you ordered Pro Nav in the UK...