E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bad lifters?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by baje1' post='728014' date='Nov 21 2008, 07:24 PM
Anybody know about how much this would cost out of pocket At the dealer?
I have posted on this with no results. But I am starting to believe tht it is the alluminum pistions that in cold weather are not fully expanded. I have a 5/04 545i build date and have had 8 service calls on the tapping noise on drive - off 1800 - 2000 rpm. Matter of fact I have a wav file on a post just a few up from this one.

It is ANNOYING to have this tapping for 20 minutes or so.

Levers have been checked, a/c compressor replaced, blah blah blah.

sound is casued by metal on metal - How can this be ignored by BMW NA.

Love the car, have 3 Bimmers, will buy another but why in the hell doesn't BMW NA display honesty about this problem.

BMW NA ( Hello ) it is an integrity issue if not illegal to NOT honor warranty claims. Are you waiting for me and a big fat fricken lawsuit? If you are and I get a few minutes.... !!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Members

ok now im scared...i have that sound too but i dont drive my car in the winter. is it something to worry about even though its a summer car for me?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Members

Mine is only summer car also. I have a rattle in mine..dealer said it's nothin. I pulled my 1990 accord out that's been sitin 4 7 months and had it runnin next to the bimmer....I started laughing at the fact that it's quieter then my 545....210,000 miles and not a sound....oh well. Guess I'm comparin apples 2 oranges. Bimmas still#1!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Members

haha its funny you said that. i have a 1999 Mazda Millenia i drive in the winter. i drove it for the first time since i got my 545i. i love that car it was my first car so im partial to it lol
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='728279' date='Nov 21 2008, 11:48 PM
haha its funny you said that. i have a 1999 Mazda Millenia i drive in the winter. i drove it for the first time since i got my 545i. i love that car it was my first car so im partial to it lol
Wow...my first car was a 89 hyundai excel...wat a piece a ***t!!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

My daily beater is my 87 325is. They come with the ticking sound standard. I remember reading an article from a 20 y/o magazine that called it the ticking bomb as a way of discribing the engines explosive power. It has 300k miles now so not hearing a tick would make me think the engine was turned off.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Members

I have a 2005 525i with 21,200 miles and it sounds like a diesel upon cold start up... Should I take it in for service or just leave it be? Is it a physically damaged component or just a design flaw/feature (I guess you can call it a feature)? I'm terrified of taking my car in for service as it usually results in some sort of damage, joy ride, or horribly negative experience.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

I have a similar issue and got the old 'cannot replicate' story from my dealer. Which means that they don't what the hell is going on.

I think some dealers have techs that are better at working on certain types of cars and maybe don't see as many 545s. I am in talks with my Service Manager, General Manager and a contact at BMWNA.

Lifter noise on these cars is unacceptable.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

I'm thinking about selling this thing and getting a Lotus.........
Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by sik bmuu' post='727558' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:59 AM
i got that same ticking noise in my 530i 05 when its cold does it sum morning and sumtimes it doesnt...i took it to the dealer said it was the lifters got them changed the other week got the car back and guess what..still hear that ticking noise when cold! soo took the car back there on monday been there all week still no solution! i just hope he changed all 24 lifters as he said he did ! but wot else can that ticking noise be and only when cold for like 15 mins! im starting to give up and its my first bmw ive bought and hmmmmm makes me wonder if it was worth all that money now.
To all other 530 drivers out there. I had the valve ticking or tapping noises intermittently with my '07 530xi on cold starts also (even "cold starts" in the summer). I brought it in twice complaining about the same problem that my car sounded ghetto like an old Chevy with bad lifters. My car only had about 27~28K miles. The first time they said they couldn't duplicate it and sent me on my way. The second time it was still ticking away when I got to the dealer and the mechanic heard it and said there is a SIB bulletin to "purge" the oil passages in the head assembly where air bubbles were trapped preventing proper oil circulation on cold starts hence the ticking noise (as far as I am concerned any metal to metal sound is a no no so I knew something had to be wrong.) Well I get the car back and 1 week later the ticking starts back again and I call the dealer for my third trip in to fix the problem. WTF This time they kept it for a couple days and my service advisor calls me back and says that after speaking to BMWUSA Service "they have been advised to change the ENTIRE cylinder head under warranty" and BMW was flying in a complete "bolt on" aligned engine head/valve assembly from the factory in Germany for my car. Upon further prodding he tells me that the new head is a redesign of the original with a special bleed down/purge valve to prevent air bubbles from forming, after the car sits for a few hours, in the oil channels blocking oil flow on cold starts like the original they are swapping out. After they got the parts I took it back and it took them only a day to fix and everything was put back together properly in the engine compartment from what I can tell.

Bottom line, I got a whole new engine top end and now the car runs perfectly and NO cold start "Chevy truck" valve ticking or tapping whatever you want to call it even with the temps now dipping in to the 20's (F) recently here in NJ

Quick Reply: bad lifters?!?!