E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BAD experience with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought id share my embarrasing exp with my nav system this weekend... well im out with a girl late sat night like 3am and decide that i need to get a motel yep u get the point.. so yeah i do find a motel 6 (.8) miles away so i go on to startdestination and the voice command starts taking me there... the girl is in aww at how the car has this feature and thinks its cool.. I dont say much but yea its pretty neat and keep driving... needles to say after like 10 mins of driving and like 7 turns and driving on the freeway i end up following the voice command and my HUD to a street and it says U HAVE ARRIVED!! im like NOT!! i look left and right and theres no motel 6... :thumbsdown: this sucked!! i then tried to mess with the idrive screen trying to make it appear as i did something wrong so the girl wouldnt notice this cool feature just let me down... lol i then make 1 phone call and eventually get there and it was no where near where the nav took me.. it was actually closer to where i had originally started... so there u go my nav didnt come thru for me in the clutch...

this raises a question for me... 1 it could have been that the adress was enterd wrong and threw off the nav but also im wondering if the never e60's come with new and later updated nav software, for example my nav dosent show the name of every neighborhood street it shows like everyother street... this is not that helpful sometimes.. i wish there was a later cd i can run to make it look better or report more accuracy. well theres my exp with nav.. just like everything else thats electronic it fails when u need it the most lol.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

I'm confused. The satnav should have displayed the Motel's address. Did it take you to that address?

If the address is wrong in the system (not BMW's fault), and the satnav took you to the coordinates it was given (for the wrong address), then the system is performing fine.

The data is not perfect.

What revision of data are you using anyway?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='431738' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm confused. The satnav should have displayed the Motel's address. Did it take you to that address?

If the address is wrong in the system (not BMW's fault), and the satnav took you to the coordinates it was given (for the wrong address), then the system is performing fine.

The data is not perfect.

What revision of data are you using anyway?

i agree the data is not perfect.. i didnt see it display an adress because i just let it take me there and guide me... i think the adress being wrong in the system is what caused that.. my car is an 04 im not sure what revision im running.. this is why i said is there any newer versions of the nav dvd cd that i can run or will running a newer version of sofware do the trick.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

I have the latest version of data (2007-2).

A couple of weeks ago on the way back home after a long European trip, I was dropping off some friends at Milan Malpensa Aiport (Terminal 1 Departures).

I'll cut a medium length story short.

As we we were approaching our destination it became obvious that the Departures Terminal was located in the centre of a local town. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankfully it was a LOCAL town and not in entirely the other direction. I programmed the Airport destination manually with the crosshairs and followed the local directions.

If they can't get an airport right, what chance with a motel?

ABC
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

SO............... did you "make a sexy time with the young lady?"

"Success?"
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

While using a Garmin Portable nav in a rental car I had a unique experience. I was in Scottsdale Arizona and I entered an address in Sedona, Arizona. I followed the directions it gave me precisely. It took me to a location 3 hours from Sedona up in the mountains and told me that I arrived at my destination. I checked the address that I had entered and I had the right address. I used my BMW Nav System for three years and the only address that it could not find correctly was the parking structure in which I park even though I had the right address. Any nav system is only as good as the data on the DVD.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='431726' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:49 AM
thought id share my embarrasing exp with my nav system this weekend... well im out with a girl late sat night like 3am and decide that i need to get a motel yep u get the point.. so yeah i do find a motel 6 (.8) miles away so i go on to startdestination and the voice command starts taking me there... the girl is in aww at how the car has this feature and thinks its cool.. I dont say much but yea its pretty neat and keep driving... needles to say after like 10 mins of driving and like 7 turns and driving on the freeway i end up following the voice command and my HUD to a street and it says U HAVE ARRIVED!! im like NOT!! i look left and right and theres no motel 6... :thumbsdown: this sucked!! i then tried to mess with the idrive screen trying to make it appear as i did something wrong so the girl wouldnt notice this cool feature just let me down... lol i then make 1 phone call and eventually get there and it was no where near where the nav took me.. it was actually closer to where i had originally started... so there u go my nav didnt come thru for me in the clutch...

this raises a question for me... 1 it could have been that the adress was enterd wrong and threw off the nav but also im wondering if the never e60's come with new and later updated nav software, for example my nav dosent show the name of every neighborhood street it shows like everyother street... this is not that helpful sometimes.. i wish there was a later cd i can run to make it look better or report more accuracy. well theres my exp with nav.. just like everything else thats electronic it fails when u need it the most lol.
why didn't you take her to a four seasons? better yet take ger home (living with you parents?)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Contributors

I think the girl in the NAV system was jealous and intentionally misled you. Once you were in the hotel room did you still need the nav system or did you know where to go?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Motel 6 dude? A girl impressed with Nav? You MUST live in the boons or midwest or small town nowwheresville-In HS around here which was gosh-10years ago-I am 26 now and I am sure when I was 16 90 percent of the girlies drove bimmers in that era-so cant imagine in this day and age a nav system and a motel 6 would get any panties off.

I think if any girl I was trying to screw saw me pull up to a motel 6 they woulda told me to turn around-stick with doing it in the e60-nice ambience, free, dont get lost.

Pretty funny though-I grew up driving a camara-v6 no no less so I had nothing to impress the girlies as far as cars go-you sound like your in HS am I wrong? If you are in college and a girl was impressed that is even funnier

If you are post-college than I would suspect the girl was missing a few marbles?

Either way funny story!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Does anyone have a copy of the "making love BMW style" DVD for the NAV, it would be great to have that sultry voice issuing instructions to make sure you were on the right track...so to speak

Quick Reply: BAD experience with NAV