E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

back seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the back seats fold down on a e60, or how do i get under the back seat? my son has dropped some money down the seatbelt part and i would also like to retrieve the 3rd seatbelt connector.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

if you were to open the trunk, look at the top (roof) of the trunk and on each side you will see a "lever" with a seat sign. Pull these - should allow you to fold down the respective back seat. Not sure if you can get under the seat but you should be able to fold the back down.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Maybe you are refering to the back seat as the rear bottom seat? If this is the case, the simply pull up on the front edge of the bottom seat. Two places left and right where the passengers would sit. This will allow you to get to anthing that has been dropped. If you need to remove the back seat and you don't have the fold down option, then get in the trunk on your back, push your head all the way to the forward wall and look up. Kinda where the rear speakers would be. You will see two small cutouts with a small metal tab inside. Take a flat screwdriver and apply pressure to one side so it can release. do the other side and as well and you should be able to pull it out. Chance are this won't be required as you should be able to get to it by just lifing up the rear seat bottom and removing it.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Maybe you are refering to the back seat as the rear bottom seat? If this is the case, the simply pull up on the front edge of the bottom seat. Two places left and right where the passengers would sit. This will allow you to get to anthing that has been dropped. If you need to remove the back seat and you don't have the fold down option, then get in the trunk on your back, push your head all the way to the forward wall and look up. Kinda where the rear speakers would be. You will see two small cutouts with a small metal tab inside. Take a flat screwdriver and apply pressure to one side so it can release. do the other side and as well and you should be able to pull it out. Chance are this won't be required as you should be able to get to it by just lifing up the rear seat bottom and removing it.
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Eh? Are you saying people who don't have the factory fitted fold down option can STILL manually fold them down by doing that ^^^ ?[/font]
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

if u crawl in the trunk and relaise these clips u will be able to remove the back portion of the seat from the car. it wont act as a fold down. because u would still have a metal barrier in between the trunk and cabin
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
if u crawl in the trunk and relaise these clips u will be able to remove the back portion of the seat from the car. it wont act as a fold down. because u would still have a metal barrier in between the trunk and cabin
What barrier? When the backrest has been removed as described, there is a full access from trunk to cabin.

- Antti -
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i remember when i was cutting that hole out for the ski pass i moved the seat out of the way and there was still the wall there.. unless i was smoking some crystal meth when i was doing it. i could be wrong. was that barrier part of the rear seat?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Two options here, fold down seat and non fold down seats. The fold down seats operate from the levers inside the trunk as one of the earlier post explains. When actuated and folded down you have a large pass through into the cabin. If you do not have fold down seats there is a structure there when you remove the rear upper seat back by actuating to lock in the upper area with a screwdriver to release the seat back for removal. The OP asks about fold down seats in hope to retrieve lost money that is down under the seatbelt area. If the rear seat back folded down this option would still be pointless since it would block the lower seat and be in the way of gaining access to the middle seatselt they refer to. This should be access from removing the lower seat I bet you would be shock as to what you find under there!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Hmmm. I thought cars which didn't have this option has a back seat that was a permanent, non-removable feature.
Do you think you can retrofit the release levers inside the trunk?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Hmmm. I thought cars which didn't have this option has a back seat that was a permanent, non-removable feature.
Do you think you can retrofit the release levers inside the trunk?
I doubt it, it's just like any other car without fold down seats. It has to be held in place with something such as bolts, clips, latches etc...

Quick Reply: back seats