E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Back Seat Room

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Minivans are way more practical than the X5 for hauling kids and their friends around -- period. We've gone through two Town & Country Limited AWD's over six years and now we've got a new Odyssey Touring. You simply can't beat them.

As far as driving them, I actually enjoy driving the Odyssey. We actually chose it over the Toyota Sienna because it has a sportier drive. Sure, it's not my E60 but it's still an amazing machine for what it does...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:17 AM
I got the E60 for 2 reasons. Better rear legroom that a 3er and wider than a 3er. So I can fit adults in the back in reasonable comfort.

My 2 boys love the E60. My wife has what I guess is a "minivan". In Europe it's known as a min-MPV. A Renault Scenic. Soon to be replaced by a 7 seater, either a new Scenic or the VW Touran. There's more rear legroom in the Scenic than my E60. We've looked at the X3, but it's not as practical. The Mercedes A class is too small. The X5 might be good in the school carpark, but it's not what we'd like as a family car. Until there's a premium brand mini-MPV, we'll stick to the one's available. (BMW/Audi there's an order waiting)
[snapback]150177[/snapback]
my mom has a scenic too and it is extremely confortable in the back (and its a car no longer to a 3 series, maybe 1 series) we like it very much, and she hates minivans!

Leg room in the back of the e60 is great, but 2 added seats leave less room than 2 adults, and then the pre teen would have to squeeze her way to the middle, i bet she would get tired of that pretty soon.

just my opinion.

and on the other topic. Yes there are a lot of people who have a lot of money and just not into cars, my father drives my old e36 and he just calls it the W car, because he cannot learn the brand's name, let alone know it is a 328 (swear to god). Oh well he has other pleasures and enjoys using his money differently.

tnx
Old 07-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Not an issue on getting the little one's around. I have 2(7 and 2)an average adult fits just fine in the middle between two car seats. I have also had to carry 3 pre-teen kids to BB practice with car seats and not an issue! Now, I would not recommend this car for the long 4+ hour drive with 1 adult put between 2 kids in the back unless you don't want the adult to ride with you again But a minivan would be best if you continue on expanding the family! or taking more adults with you.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

A lot of posts, so I don't know if this was covered. As you pointed out, the E60 is great for short trips with that many people. Long drives/vacations are a problem. Also, if you ever get into car-pooling for activities, you will need more room.

Is this your only car? If not, then look at the Mini Van as an option and keep what you have.

If it is your only car, I think you can squeek by for now but will need to seriously consider a 7 passenger.

Another option, my wife has the Volvo Wagon (V70). She loves it. The extra third row seat will not work for adults, but good for kids. Not as practicle as the Mini Van but still decent to drive.

Good luck and congrats again on the new addition!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

IMHO the middle "seat" in the back is very uncomfortable and not designed for a long ride. The passenger rides on a "hump" with their back on the folded up arm rest. I don't have the fold down seats, I don't know if the are better or worse. My middle back seat stinks for a long ride.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Jul 18 2005, 05:42 PM
IMHO the middle "seat" in the back is very uncomfortable and not designed for a long ride. The passenger rides on a "hump" with their back on the folded up arm rest. I don't have the fold down seats, I don't know if the are better or worse. My middle back seat stinks for a long ride.
[snapback]150426[/snapback]

I have fold down seats and the seat is just as bad in the middle. Not a problem though because I don't intend on using it very often.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I really appreciate everyone for throwing in their 2 cents...and have to appologize for possibly leading what is a great E60 forum into a minivan soap drama, but this has been some of the best reading and informative info I have been able to get. I'm defineatly ugrading to the 550i in a few months when all the options get sorted out.

We also have an 2003 Envoy XL so we are somewhat covered for a while. Unfortuneatly you can't get to the 3rd row seat with 2 car seats buckled in the 2nd row so that car is also going to be for sale or trade for the new Yukon XL where you can get 2nd row captain chairs. Unfortuneatly, there is a simular situation going on at GM regarding the debut of the next generation which could be as early as March 2006.

So my wife and I have a bet who will get there new car first!
Other cars in our fleet are: 87 Corvette (would love new C6) and
68 SS396 Camaro.

Thanks again!