E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Back From the Brink

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='440702' date='Jun 28 2007, 01:04 AM
Asked her to run the numbers one more time, double checking the money factor and residual. Turns out she had both wrong, as she had been looking at the wrong column in her chart. With the new correct numbers, the monthly came down dramatcally.

Congraulations on your new purchase, were you not a bit cheesed that the sales person had got the figures wrong in the first place? At least you founf out what the problem was though and got a good deal. COuldI just check, is the invoice cost the same as the price the dealer pays for the car?

The invoice price is kinda/sorta what the dealer pays. But in actuality, the dealers typically get incentives and discounts off of invoice.

As for some of the other questions in the thread:

Rudy - I forgot to write down the money factor. It comes right out ofthe leasing book that has the residuals and money factor for each car.

Hormazd - i forgot to selct a trim color. With the natural brown, i think the default is regular poplar, but after looking at your pics, I mightchange it to light poplar. Looks good.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

Originally Posted by robg' post='440519' date='Jun 27 2007, 04:20 PM
My lease is up mid September. With the regularly scheduled month long factory closing, I needed to order a replacement now to ensure delivey before my lease expires. So I telephoned my salesman, who I have used for my past 3 BMW's and the last 10 or so years, only to be told he was no longer with the dealership. I got patched through to the Sales Manager, who I have also come to know. He said he would pick another qualified salesperson and have her call me. I got a call a few minutes later. After some brief pleasantries, I explained my situation and asked for a price to lease a new 550. I had it all spec'd out and gave her the details. She plugged in the numbers, based on a 2K discount off of MSRP. I knew I could do better, but this would be close enough for my purposes. The number she came back with was staggering - about $450 per month more than I pay now for my 2004 545 (my monthly lease payments are high becasue I roll everything I can into the monthly payments). I thanked her and told her I would be in on Saturday to go over the numbers further.

So I left work early and went to the Infinit dealer. They had an M45 Sport on the floor, Black with a brown interior. Very nice car. Like most of you, I have read the numerous glowing reviews in the automotive press. Most of the M45's come through with the Technology package, which includes Infiniti's excellent Nav, and a variety of other features, including back up camera and ventilated seats. I got an extensive run through of the features, the kind you typically get when you are picking up a car you have purchased. Technologically, the car is very advanced and in my opinion, superiorto the BMW. It was very late in the day and thus, I could not take it for a test drive. But I did make an appointment for a Saturday morning test drive. I also ran the numbers with the salesman. Equipped better than the BMW I had spec'd, the M45 was still about 40% cheaper.

I arrived Staurday morning anticpating enjoying the test drive and ordering a new Infiniti. Horsepower and torque wise, the M45 compares favorably with the 550. And most reviews report that the handling is excellent. Then the actually test drive. I took a route I drive everyday so that I would have a good comparison. Despite the HP and torque, the M45 felt slow. Maybe it is the transmission, but the car is very unresponsive to pedal input. And maybe I am simply spoiled by 10 years of driving BMW's, but the handling felt very soft and imprecise, with a great deal of body roll when cornering. After avoiding the hard sell by the salesmen, I drove to the BMW dealership.

First was a test drive of the 535. Absolutely wonderful for a 6 cyclinder car, but the power does feel differnt from the 8 and there is still some turbo lag. I would not be disappointed driving the 535, but I prefer the 550. So I sat down with the salesperson and went over the numbers. We changed the price from 2K off of MSRP to 2K over invoice and the monthly price moved accordingly. But the monthly price still seemed too high based on the "purchase" price and monthlys on my current car. Asked her to run the numbers one more time, double checking the money factor and residual. Turns out she had both wrong, as she had been looking at the wrong column in her chart. With the new correct numbers, the monthly came down dramatcally. At this point, the Sales Manager came over to say hello and see how things were going. With the Sales Manager there, I began negotiating for a better price - $1K over invoice. He simply shook his head and said the very best he could do was $1300 over invoice. I told him I would take it. We wrote up the deal and I got my production number. Now the wait begins.

The new ride will bea 550 with Sports Package, Carbon Black with Natural Brown interior, and other assorted options.
How much you paying a month,mileage allowed and whats the term if you dont mind me asking?
You can PM me if you wish...

I have a close buddy with an M45 sport... i have yet to run against him and i'am a little concerned how well i will do with my steptronic tranny.
His car does feel very fast though... i believe it reaches 62mph within 5.4 seconds?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by NY550i' post='441609' date='Jun 29 2007, 08:24 PM
I have a close buddy with an M45 sport... i have yet to run against him and i'am a little concerned how well i will do with my steptronic tranny.
His car does feel very fast though... i believe it reaches 62mph within 5.4 seconds?
You'll smoke him. I'll bet my money on it

The M45 does 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile is 14.5 according to Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...-m45-sport.html
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

Originally Posted by zen68' post='441653' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:52 PM
You'll smoke him. I'll bet my money on it

The M45 does 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile is 14.5 according to Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...-m45-sport.html
I believe he got either 05 or 06 model with 335 horsepower... not much of a difference.

We should give it a run within a few days... i'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Members

Somehow, the M styling got real old real fast. I liked it fine about a year ago, but now, when i first see one, I am not real sure if it is an M or a G. Both of them look too much like an Altima and a Maxima. I don't know if it is just me, but this style just got old really fast.