E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AWD, DSC, 4X4, EVB lights on. Tip for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012 | 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hi, I may have jinxed myself when I proudly announced that my car has been trouble free since being out of warranty. :thumbsdown:

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, the dashboard lit up with AWD, DSC, 4X4, EVB. This is a 2006, 525xi.
At first I thought that it was the steering angle sensor (replaced in January, 2011). I then performed the steering wheel reset trick and I thought the problem went away.

The next day, the same thing happened. I performed the steering wheel reset, and this time nothing happened. I started reading the threads and thought that maybe the battery was acting up and it was due to be replaced anyway. I had my independent shop replace and register the battery and told him why. He also agreed that a weak battery could cause the lights to go on. After replacing and registering the battery, he test drove the car and the lights came on again. Without really running any diags, he suggested that it may be a faulty steering angle sensor and when I told him that it had been replaced just a year and three months ago, he suggested I take the car back to the dealer because BMW parts are warranted for two years. Fair enough.

Meanwhile my wife told me that when she shut down the engine, she can hear a loud click from under the car and I was able to verify this. Red light goes off in my mind that it may not be the steering angle sensor.

Took the car to the dealer and when they called me they told me that it was not the steering angle sensor but it was the actuator motor to the transfer case (all-wheel drive).

Long story short, they quoted $1200 parts and labor. Independent quoted $870 parts and labor. I told my SA that independent quoted much lower. She was able to knock off $207.89 (I love my SA).

If I had gone back to independent, it would have cost the same since I would have had to pay the dealer $130 for diagnostic.

Anyway, car seems to be working fine. I'll wait a couple of more days before declaring victory.

In summary, AWD, DSC, 4X4, EVB lights on, it might be the steering angle sensor. AWD, DSC, 4X4, EVB lights on with loud click under car when shutting down engine might be actuator motor. Some people have been able to fix this by removing the actuator motor, opening it, and turning the internal gear 180 degrees.

Thought I would share this and possibly make diagnosis a little easier for the DY'ers.