E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder how many of us remember to do this. I know I never remember to, but really should. Sounds like a must do, but so easy to forget about doing it. I thought it was WORTH A MENTION to avoid BRAKE CORROSION which I am sure we would rather not experience. I'll bet most people never even noticed this when reading the manual. My sales exec. that sold me the car said the average person that buys a new car usually does not even bother to read the new car manuals, and many have no idea of many of the features the car has to offer. I am sure that does not apply to most of us, but let's face it, we E-60 Forum members do not represent the average car owner.
There is a statement on page 57 of the 2005 E-60 Owners Manual that states

"To PREVENT CORROSION and ONE SIDED BRAKING ACTION, occasionally apply the handbrake lightly when the vehicle is slowly coming to a stop if the traffic conditions are suitable"

I only remembered to do this once since I got the car. Now the trick is to remember to do it again tomorrow and to make it a routine practice.
Do any of you really remember to do this? I GUESS WE SHOULD!

Netjazz
Old 10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Members

well, I can't say I remember to intentionally apply it when coming to a stop, however I often apply it then forget to take it off when starting to drive, so I guess it gets a little bit of use that way.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Sometimes, when you do that all the build up will be clear away but of course do it at slow speed.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

I did it a few times. But just to test the handbrake strength...

BTW does anybody notice that when roling the handbrake is soooooo light that even if you pull it up to max it won't lock the brakes?!?!
Or doest it have to do that i have a steptronic? Or rwd? I thought even though the car is rwd it should lock the wheels when pullin the handbrake (without accelerating of course).
Feedback needed on this pls!
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

i usually play around with the handbrake after reading the manual (guess im one of the few that read it cover to cover)

bettermakeway; depends on how hard u pull up on the brake. ive locked the wheels before, and have used the handbrake to slide the car in a turn (lots of fun).
Old 10-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

This is a really good point

I had my old E39 on the yearly inspection some years back, and the engineer said that the brake pads had some rust on and a malfunction could appear anytime.

He told me that one should always use it when parking to avoid rusting!

So I do it all the time when parking, you should do it also!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:46 AM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

Can anyone explain the rationale for how the handbrake application prevents rust build-up when parked or when moving?

Is this for the benefit of the rotors, or brake pads themselves??
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I do the hand brake thing every time I wash the car which on average every two weeks.
cheers
vern
Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Oct 7 2005, 08:10 AM
i usually play around with the handbrake after reading the manual (guess im one of the few that read it cover to cover)

bettermakeway; depends on how hard u pull up on the brake.? ive locked the wheels before, and have used the handbrake to slide the car in a turn (lots of fun).
[snapback]180854[/snapback]
Lol don't get me wrong, in my other cars, i pulled the handbrake soo hard that a few times it got stuck from pulling that hard. (neither of them bmws).

Anyway i really pulled it when moving, the gearbox in D, lift up the accel, and pull the handbrake fully up and no lock on the wheels.

Need alot more ifnor from the other forum members that locked the rear wheels using the handbrake, especially in a steptronic car.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I do this for that exact reason, but quite honestly, not enough.
I probably do this only twice a year.

Quick Reply: Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally